It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Jesus Was Not Religious, so why hate Christians because of what religion has done?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I am here to tell all the members on this board that continually hate on Christians because you have a hatred against religion one thing. Christianity is not a RELIGION it's a RELATIONSHIP.... With our one and only savior, Jesus Christ. God's way to reach man, is through Christ.

The goal is a Christian is to become Christ-Like and Jesus was not religious, so why hate Christians because you hate religion? It really does not make sense. We hate religion too! Maybe now you know this we can find some middle ground where you do not have to hate us on that basis.

Here is a man that write a poem that explains it nicely for all those who don't yet understand.

In the scriptures Jesus received the most opposition from the most religious people of his day. At it's core Jesus' gospel and the good news of the Cross is in pure opposition to self-righteousness/self-justification. Religion is man centered, Jesus is God-centered. This poem highlights my journey to discover this truth. Religion either ends in pride or despair. Pride because you make a list and can do it and act better than everyone, or despair because you can't do your own list of rules and feel "not good enough" for God. With Jesus though you have humble confident joy because He represents you, you don't represent yourself and His sacrifice is perfect putting us in perfect standing with God!

He is saying that a relationship with Jesus Christ is more valuable than the "religious rules".

Religion causes man to stumble! The reason so many people are not children of God is because of religion. CHRISTIANITY IS NOT A RELIGION! IT'S A PERSONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH CHRIST JESUS. people need to realize that yes, we only beleive there is ONE way to heaven and you CANNOT get there by other religions. Jesus is the only way...

Religion is Man searching for GOD. Christianity is GOD searching for Man.

Salvation is a gift of God. Jesus Christ is the only way to obtain it by grace through faith.

So here's some things to consider the before next time you attack a Christian on the basis you hate religion. Alot of Christians actually hate religion too. Don't judge us on how you see hypocrites in the church behave. We are not all like them. Being Christian does not make us zealous religious people that are some how better than others, we have all sinned and fallen short of glory from God.

I'm sure I will get some of the typical responses with a few people feeling the need to shout "fairy tales" or "nicaea council" but before you post just save it, I'm really not interested in replying to that kind of foolishness I will just ignore it and you won't accomplish anything. I believe there are people here with more intelligence than that.

Jesus > Religion

edit on 14-1-2012 by RevelationGeneration because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by RevelationGeneration

He is saying that a relationship with Jesus Christ is more valuable than the "religious rules".

That may or may not be an ok thought but it is not what he actually, literally says in the video, though this may be what could be possibly taken as what was meant to be implied.

I find this (what I quoted, along with other elements of the post I am replying to now) an attempt at justifying the video as being an ok thing to have your children watch but it is a deception because though you may be able to intellectualize it in that way, children are not capable of that sort of reasoning.
What they will get from watching this video is cognitive dissonance, which will eventually turn out to be destructive to their relationship with Jesus, or any form of spirituality altogether.

Another thing destructive in this video is the unsubstantial, hollow, and fuzzy theology of salvation it offers in the place of what it calls "religion". This pseudo-theology will not stand up to even the most casual scrutiny or criticism, leaving the viewer of this video left with nothing to have faith in.

This is the fourth thread on this sub-forum created to promote this hideous and anti-christ video and I would urge readers to view my other criticisms posted on those other threads.
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Also another one of the threads for this video which I did not comment on, but there is a good comment on it by another poster which I agree with: www.abovetopsecret.com...
edit on 14-1-2012 by jmdewey60 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
reply to post by jmdewey60

What deceptive about what he says in the video?

I don't see him preaching any fuzzy or false gospel here, just truth. If you read the new testament you will say it's true what he's saying. And that quote is just one thing to take away from his message. I would love to learn about this pseudo-theology you speak of.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:26 AM
link   

religion |riˈlijən|
noun
the belief in and worship of a superhuman controlling power, esp. a personal God or gods : ideas about the relationship between science and religion.

You're having a bit of a faith crisis in regards to your religion, that's fine. You do realize you can worship god and/or Christ without being a traditional Christian, right? I know we've had these discussions time and time again in different threads, but the truth remains...

...you're starting to see religion from a pagan's standpoint. Yay!

Christ was anti-religion, too, so don't sweat it. Nothing wrong with not being Christian. You can't really follow Christ's teachings and be one anyway, so...

edit on 14-1-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
"I am here to tell all the members on this board that continually hate on Christians because you have a hatred against religion one thing. Christianity is not a RELIGION it's a RELATIONSHIP.... With our one and only savior, Jesus Christ. "

yea but there you go again with jesus being our one and only savior ? Where do you think you got that info from ?

The thing with religion and christianity i see today . Many christians turn away from scriptures and religion for a very good reason.

They are losing christians on a global scale ,

People are showing them the flaws in there logic .

so they keep backing up into a corner

they keep backing up untill they have nothing left to argue with scirpture and religion .

now they are on there last foot with "I just need Jesus" "He is my bridge" lol

After that is cornered where will you run too next?

Thats all i got from this video.

Religion ,scripture has been ripped apart by reason and logic so i'll just hold on to jesus and pretend the other things are used to "control" people.

give me a break

Jesus is not the savoir .

Nor is he the son of god

Nor is he god.

If you ask me to worship . I would worship god , not a man one of his creations , this is would be idoltry at its finest.

If i was god i would be so pissed that people give jesus more props and credit then god him self.

No wonder you christians have been lost ever since christ "parted"

You just made up your own facts , with clever editing , cherry picking , double standards and of course stick your fingers in your ears and say lalalalalal

when anything about jesus is questioned.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by FugitiveSoul

Actually The Latin word from which the English word "religion" is derived means "to bind up." Jesus did not come to bind us up in rules and regulations or rituals of devotion, but to set us free to be man as God inended.

No faith crisis here my friend.

Being a Christian simply means you are a disciple and follow his teachings and have accepted him as your lord and savior. Nothing really that difficult to understand, no need to bring semantics into this. Ether your a Christian or your not. There's no midway point that you can somehow like Jesus as a person and think his teachings are "good" but not accept his grace and expect to go to heaven when you die. If you believe in an afterlife the only way you will get to be with God is through Jesus.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by RevelationGeneration
.....Christianity is not a RELIGION ........

Why is it other sources contradict this ?

www.newadvent.org...

In the following article an account is given of Christianity as a religion, describing its origin, its relation to other religions,

Origin of Christianity and its relation with other religions Christianity is the name given to that definite system of religious belief and practice

www.religionfacts.com...

Christianity was founded in the early 1st century AD, with the teaching, miracles, crucifixion and resurrection of Jesus of Nazareth. Today it is the largest religion in the world,

en.wikipedia.org...

Christianity (from the Ancient Greek word Χριστός, Khristos, "Christ", literally "anointed one") is a monotheistic religion

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

If you read the new testament you will say it's true what he's saying.

It may agree with your own personal interpretation of what is meant in the New Testament but he is not quoting it but saying things that are not in the NT.
Follow the links in my post above and I go into a very in-depth discussion of these false ideologies.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Actually The Latin word from which the English word "religion" is derived means "to bind up." Jesus did not come to bind us up in rules and regulations or rituals of devotion, but to set us free to be man as God inended.

Exactly why you can't be a Christian, which has rules and laws, and be a follower of Christ. Christ was anti-religion, no argument here. Live your life morally, love your neighbor. All borrowed, yet beautiful ideas, but still Pagan.

Also religion is taken from the latin relegere "go through again, read again," from re- "again" + legere "read"

Maybe you should apply this etymological definition to your bible.

No faith crisis here my friend.

I didn't imply your faith crisis was in your "god", but instead in your religion... Christianity. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

Being a Christian simply means you are a disciple and follow his teachings and have accepted him as your lord and savior. Nothing really that difficult to understand, no need to bring semantics into this. Ether your a Christian or your not. There's no midway point that you can somehow like Jesus as a person and think his teachings are "good" but not accept his grace and expect to go to heaven when you die. If you believe in an afterlife the only way you will get to be with God is through Jesus.

-Live by his rules.
-Accept only him as lord/savior.

Wait a minute. I thought we didn't have rules or "bindings?" Now we're back to being a religion again?! Contradiction is just endemic to Christianity, isn't it?

There's no midway point that you can somehow like Jesus as a person and think his teachings are "good" but not accept his grace and expect to go to heaven when you die. If you believe in an afterlife the only way you will get to be with God is through Jesus.

I follow the same teachings as Christ, but they aren't "his." He didn't pen them, in fact they predate him by thousands of years. He was just spreading the word. My beliefs allow me to experience Paradise here and now. I don't have to wait for payment.

edit on 14-1-2012 by FugitiveSoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   

reply to post by jmdewey60

What deceptive about what he says in the video?

I don't see him preaching any fuzzy or false gospel here, just truth. If you read the new testament you will say it's true what he's saying. And that quote is just one thing to take away from his message. I would love to learn about this pseudo-theology you speak of.

The people who worship religion will not like the gospel message bro.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by vogon42

Because you posted 2 links from religious websites, 1 of them being catholic!!! And wikipedia is not the authority of understanding scripture.

Nvm you have missed the point of the whole thread, and I don't suppose you will get it. Religion totally contradicts the teachings of Jesus and what he came to do!

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
OP Great Thread!

I whole heartily agree. Growing up in a baptist church and being part of the behind the scenes. What is spoken here in this video is exact truth. The relationship you hold with God is much more important than the rules set by man. (i.e. should a priest go to God on your behalf? Does 100 hail mary's absolve me of wrong doing?)

This message is meant not for the young... (under 10yrs old) but rather teenagers and older. If you think about it the church's purpose was to teach and spread the word. and when I say church I am referring to the congregation not the building. The church is here to help and to guide others to the light in life...

Many times I have run across street preachers and they a spouting fire and brimstone to all who pass by. It is dis heartening because they are doing more harm than good. They represent Religion as it stands today but they are not representing Christ. People laugh at them and just ignore them. One day I had enough of it and finally confronted one of them in a peaceful and calm manner. I took him aside and told him this: "I understand where your heart is my brother but you are taking the wrong approach. Christ teaches us that it is easier to catch flies with honey than it is with vinegar. You my brother are using vinegar. Many people here already know they are sinners and they dont need it rubbed in their face. Why not take the time to listen to them hear their plight and offer words of wisdom and how Christ has helped you through tough times..." To that I got yelled at: "Get behind me devil!!!!" I shook my head in disgust and said "thats not necessary" then again with your the devil rhetoric and so on till I began to walk away. I felt ashamed so I yelled back "arrogant fool" for every time he yelled devil...

So back on topic...

The church was made to help nurish peoples faith with God and to help each other grow and understand the word... look at it as a support group of believers. That was the purpose of the church! I have had the arguments again and again with people on the church as an organization is the people and you are one of them... It comes down to how stupid they feel when I point out that "hey you are white there for your apart of the KKK or your hispanic you must have a knife or sell drugs or even your black you must be on welfare..." Its a stupid label that in no way signifies the person as to who they are. But rather a preconceived stereotype the person has on a specific group.

I am a nondenominational christian. I dont associate with any denomination of christianity. I find that the biggest problems with christians today is piety! What makes one person better than another? Why must we judge others? Christ teaches us to love each other but to hate the sin. If your atheist I will love you the same as my christian brother but I will hate that your atheist... will it change my opinion of you? NO it wont! I have many friends, family members and co workers who are great people but dont believe. It is a personal choice and thats where it ends.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by vogon42

www.newadvent.org...

Catholicism IS a religion. It merely has a Christian slant to it.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by vogon42

www.newadvent.org...

I think you might have missed the point.
The text I quoted clearly says christianity. How did you change that to catholicism? Its not in the quoted text.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   

reply to post by vogon42

Because you posted 2 links from religious websites, 1 of them being catholic!!! And wikipedia is not the authority of understanding scripture.

Nvm you have missed the point of the whole thread, and I don't suppose you will get it. Religion totally contradicts the teachings of Jesus and what he came to do!

Correct, and what people don't understand is just because the secular world labels Christianity a "religion" doesn't mean Christ came to Earth to devise and support another religion. Religion is man's attempts to make themselves just and holy to God by their efforts. And like Baskin Robbins, it comes in many different tastes and flavors. I personally think the Christian version is the most disgusting of them all:

"If, and only if, you do X, Y, and X, and never do P, Q, and T will God love you, and you'll be His Son."

Could you imagine if any "father" felt that way or said that to his own children here on Earth??:

"Here son, I've made a list of things you have to do, and another list of things you can't do. If you follow these lists I'll be your dad and I'll love you, if you don't follow these lists I won't be your dad, and I won't love you."

That's the most disgusting false gospel there is.

God DOES love us, and has already demonstrated that love for us by giving us His Son to die for us while we were yet sinners. Therefore because of this He asks us to love Him in return. His kindness leads us to repentance, not our repentance leads Him to kindness. Religion has it completely backwards.

edit on 14-1-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by vogon42

Originally posted by NOTurTypical
reply to post by vogon42

www.newadvent.org...

I think you might have missed the point.
The text I quoted clearly says christianity. How did you change that to catholicism? Its not in the quoted text.

You linked a Catholic source.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Doesnt matter to me if you hate Catholics or not, and I realize wiki is not the be all end all of knowlege, but it is commonly accepted.

What I did was reference three sources that say christianity is a religion. I then asked why you contradict this.

Can you answer for me........Why do you contradict this?

(its a better answer than.......well, uh,,,,,um.... you just dont get the point)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

As well as two others.

Do you feel catholics are not christian or something?
Seriously, it seems a bit of a double standard to me....please clarify.

OP states, dont be bashing on christians, yet I see christians bashing on Catholics.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   

-Live by his rules.
-Accept only him as lord/savior.

"Believe" or "accept" fuzzies up the gospel message. It's TRUSTING in Him as your Lord and Savior.

Example:

I "believe" the stock market exists, I don't "trust" it enough to invest my own money in it.

Religious people believe in Jesus, and even believe He is the Lord and Savior of men, but they don't trust in Him personally to save them, they trust in themselves to save themselves by diligence and effort to make themselves holy and righteous before God. They basically trust themselves for their own salvation instead of trusting in the Living Savior.

edit on 14-1-2012 by NOTurTypical because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by vogon42
reply to post by NOTurTypical

As well as two others.

Do you feel catholics are not christian or something?
Seriously, it seems a bit of a double standard to me....please clarify.

OP states, dont be bashing on christians, yet I see christians bashing on Catholics.

Well, without derailing the thread too much, Catholics practice Catholicism, hence the term Catholics. They just have a belief in Christ.

But the point was you quoted a Catholic website to show that Christianity is a religion. All that shows is that the Catholics practice a Christian version of religion,.. it's still religion. It doesn't prove that Christianity is a religion, only that Catholics practice religion with a Christian flair to it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join