It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

FAQs - Earthquakes Induced by Fluid Injection

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Is the recent sequence of earthquakes near Youngstown, Ohio, related to the wastewater disposal activities there?

Is it possible to anticipate whether a planned wastewater disposal activity will trigger earthquakes that are large enough to be of concern?

It looks like the USGS is finally catchng on...

I love the answer to the 3rd question:

So far, there is no conclusive example linking injection operations to triggering of major earthquakes, however we cannot eliminate this possibility. More research is needed to either confirm or refute this possibility.
emphasis mine

In other words, we're going to keep on fracking.

Related ATS threads:
Earthquake swarm in Arkansas intensifies. Memphis, Tennessee ould ge the epicenter for the next big one.

Geologists say Ohio quakes directly tied to fracking

Robinesque Ruminations

Avnd many many others

edit on Sat Jan 14 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   
Just from my point of view and understanding......I actually think that new madrid fault is ready to snap,which in case, yellowstone`s ole faithful may squirt a little higher.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by saroncan
Just from my point of view and understanding......I actually think that new madrid fault is ready to snap,which in case, yellowstone`s ole faithful may squirt a little higher.

Yeah? And what understanding is that?

Last I checked, Yellowstone is clear across the country from the New Madrid. Sow how you even bring both together in the same sentence, is beyond me.

Besides, the last time the New Madrid went in 1812, Yellowstone didn't exactly blow its top. In fact, it didn't even burp. Mighta farted a bit, but...

:shk:

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Considering that the USGS placed this page on their Featured Topic and all of the news stoires listed in eric's post here and across the web, it seems as though a critical mass has been reached on awareness of the issue.

If you go look in the comments of many of the news articles, you will note that people in general understand the dangers and seem to be not surprised that the industry and government don't seem to care for public safety when profit is involved.

Then you can see the shills come in and distrupt any sort of conversation, very telling that...

I would encourage everyone interested in mitigating the potential detrimental environmental impact of fracking to take the time and join the discusions at the news websites where articles appear. I know there are LOT lately, making it difficult to keep up with them all, but the ATS community is varied and can make a significant impact on the diretion the talks go in and can help keep them on topic.

Especially if you are local to a story, you will have much more relevant knowledge and can make a larger impact.

We're good at spotting trolls and shills, how much more fun is it to take them down on a wider stage?

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Yes,I have seen the propaganda that supports fracking .
It is not the actual fracking causing the problem,but the disposal of the waste that is causing the problem.

Well,when you inject millions of gallons of waste fluids into the ground,especially close to a known fault,what do you expect.
That is ,in itself connected to fracking,cause the waste fluids come from the fracking.

Duh!!!!!

new topics

top topics

join