It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Italy cruise ship Costa Concordia aground near Giglio

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   
Link to Sky news story

The captain and first officer of a cruise liner that ran aground off the coast of Italy are being held on suspicion of multiple manslaughter and abandoning ship while passengers were still in danger.

Sources in the prosecutor's office said the 52-year-old captain from Naples had abandoned the ship at ''around 23.30'' while the last passengers were not taken to safety until 3am the following morning.

Can not do that... Unless you are pirates.. Keep to the code and all that.
edit on 15-1-2012 by kawika because: corectolated spel'n err

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   
apparently the captain always pulled up close so passengers could get good pics. They found a couple still alive and 3 more people dead.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by research100
bigyin, go back and look at the pics it was under water, totslly tipped over

It is not under water

It is not totally tipped over

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Just goes to show that we arent as advanced as we think we are and like the titanic that sank 100 years ago,if this cruise ship was further out at sea,it would be at the bottom of the ocean with thousands dead...

edit on 15-1-2012 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
Cut down the dead wood to make way for the new, as they say.

Killing your clients is usually not a good way to recoup losses

:shk:

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon

Originally posted by kawika
A symptom of the times. They use inexperienced people, because they work cheap. They do little or no training, because it is too expensive, and then wonder why these things happen.

They also use auto pilots

Autopilot sends cruise ship passengers flying

The U.S. Coast Guard is evaluating the need for guidelines governing the use of autopilots following an incident aboard the cruise ship Norwegian Sky that sent passengers and objects flying.

Source

Autopilot Error Suspected In Tilting Of Cruise Ship

PORT CANAVERAL — A glitch in the autopilot system on the Crown Princess likely caused the month-old cruise ship to tilt harshly to one side, injuring 240 passengers, marine experts said Wednesday.

articles.sun-sentinel.com...

Did Carnival's Ecstasy Cruise Ship Almost Hit A Sand Bar?

There was a fire drill that required some and a briefing about departure that required some of them schedualed at the same time. I believe there was nobody at the helm. One passenger said the buoy marked a popular scubba diving area that he had been to in the past. I think they are covering up the fact that the auto pilot was attempting to keep us from running aground.

www.cruiselawnews.com...
edit on 14-1-2012 by zorgon because: (no reason given)

Autopilots again? I know commercial airplanes fly on them, but I just don't feel safe knowing the vessel is under control of an autopilot. As to why, I don't think I can tell the full story about one. Let me just say, that at one stage, a certain model of military transport airplane was upgraded, and a new autopilot was fitted during the upgrade. It later turned out that under certain conditions, the new autopilot would fly the plane into a stall. As the country to whom these planes belonged to, were under sanctions, the bug was never fixed, and the pilots just have to fly the plane without autopilot. How do I know this? I was on the flight on which the autopilot flew the plane into a stall, and it took me a long time (couple of years) to trust autopilots again, but not on those planes.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by blocula
reply to post by pause4thought

Just goes to show that we arent as advanced as we think we are and like the titanic that sank 100 years ago,if this cruise ship was further out at sea,it would be at the bottom of the ocean with thousands dead...

Well except it wouldn't have hit the huge rocked still embeded in the hull or did you just not think about that

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 04:25 PM
link   
UK Daily Mail News Story

Looks like skipper was asleep at the switch. If I had a ship like that to sail, I might never leave the bridge.

One passenger has accused the captain of drinking in one of the ship's bars on the night the vessel ran aground, before taking control after the crash.

Phil Metcalf, whose daughter Rose was one of the last people off the ship, said she had revealed the captain allegedly abandoned ship in the early stages of the evacuation, leaving his staff onboard.
He told BBC Breakfast: 'Since the captain had left there was nobody, so everybody was left to their own devices hence some of the chaos, so obviously the crew took it upon themselves and decided in the absence of the captain to organise and try and help people.'

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin

Originally posted by research100
bigyin, go back and look at the pics it was under water, totslly tipped over

It is not under water

It is not totally tipped over

that is true , but it happened at night, the power went out and totally dark inside the ship, only light people could see was the small blinky light on the life vests. crew told people to go one way and then go the other way and it was super crowded, scary situation.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I can't help but wonder if this is somehow linked to the rumors of the encryption for gps having been cracked that I read about in the Iran drone threads...And, this may be a bit tinfoil hat, so my apologies, but the chap arrested over the death of Stephen Rawlings the other day. (Dr Devinder Sivia) is supposed to be big in Beyesian probability theory. Which among other things has its uses in code cracking.
I realise it may be a bit far fetched, but there you are.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

I'm just saying that ocean liners now are almost as vulnerable as they were when the titanic sank 100 years ago and "if" this cruise liner suffered a huge gash in its hull further out at sea,nothing would have prevented it from sinking and killing hundreds and perhaps even thousands of passengers.How many life boats do these cruise liners have these days? Enough for over 4,000 people? Do they even have life boats?

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
news story on the tv right now.. The cruiseship company is totally blaming the captain ,accusing him of gross negligence. wow they showed a clip, you can see how scary it was.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   
there was lifboat and evacuation drill planed for the day after the ship went to ground,i cant find a source but the dancer who was airlifted was on sky news on the phone and said.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by research100

makes me wonder why the life jackets dont come with a torch not just a blinking light

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
i dont understand why he didnt send a distress signal sooner.. mayday for help before tipping?
have they tested the captain and his direct crew for intoxicants?

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 10:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by onestepbehind
i dont understand why he didnt send a distress signal sooner.. mayday for help before tipping?
have they tested the captain and his direct crew for intoxicants?
It doesnt take much of an imagination to visualize what the captain and some of his crew might have been doing instead of properly controlling the ships course...

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 10:50 PM
link   
yes blocula they had life boats but they didn't want to lower them?? at some point they finally did but it was really hard and not many were used before it became impossible. Thats my understanding from what the passengers said.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 04:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
Autopilots again? I know commercial airplanes fly on them, but I just don't feel safe knowing the vessel is under control of an autopilot.

Speaking of planes... if people knew how many commercial planes were on auto pilot while the crew was getting drunk, they would stop flying
NASA did a study. It was so bad they suppressed it until congress ordered them to release it

Now THAT report is scary

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 05:30 AM
link   
Latest on news tv is that captain fully at fault for going wrong way and not following procedures correctly.

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by research100

Fair enough I didn't realise all this happened in the dark.

There were some people who swam ashore.

Still nothing like Titanic though.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join