It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gingers extinct in 100 years, say scientists

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by SupersonicSerpent

National Geographic says the gene at first had the beneficial effect of increasing the body's ability to make vitamin D from sunlight. However, today's carriers are more prone to skin cancer and have a higher sensitivity to heat and cold-related pain.

Now I wonder why this could be? Do you suppose the red headed people changed and the gene mutated or did the environment change?

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:07 PM
link   
Survival of the fittest? Beside the allure of Nicole Kidman, isnt gingerism associate with sunburn, melanoma prone skin that freckles erratically instead of tans at all, evenly.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Looks like someone, and this whole thread actually, didn't do their homework.

science.howstuffworks.com...

Red hair is caused by a mutation in the MC1R gene. It's also a recessive trait, so it takes both parents passing on a mutated version of the MC1R gene to produce a redheaded child. Because it's a recessive trait, red hair can easily skip a generation. It can then reappear after skipping one or more generations if both parents, no matter their hair color, carry the red hair gene.

These genes come and go all the time too. Some day some freak accident will cause it to reappear.

FYI. The red hair gene exists, naturally, in some Aboriginal Australian populations.

Eh. What is race? If a black person and white person have a kid, their child is called mix. But...we call present day populations of the same mix "Mediterranean"

I think all of these traits will always exist in some shape or form out there.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:16 PM
link   
I doubt very much that redheads will ever wean out and indeed hope that they do not. I have seen the gene pop up in what I thought to be some rather unlikely places.

I spent some time in Lebanon (beautiful country by the way) and was most surprised to see quite a few redheaded Lebanese, I saw more so in the predominantly Christian North as opposed to the mostly Muslim South, perhaphs that goes as far back as the crusades, I would imagine, that in the past, redheaded children in Muslim families may possibly not have been seen as favourable.

More surprising to myself was the appearance of Chinese redheads, though I have seen only one in Guangzhou in the South of China I saw three or four in Harbin to the North, while not as unique as albino Chinese, which look quite interesting, they are still few and far between in a nation of such a population, but my point is that the gene has proven itself to remain active and considering the "fiesty" nature of many redheads that I have met I am not surprised. I have brown hair and blue eyes and when I let my beard grow the ginger comes out and I rather like it.

I do know for a fact that in most Commonwealth countries when one wished to adopt a child there was a question on one of the forms asking if a redheaded child was acceptable.

I must admit I chuckled when I first heard the phrase "I will beat you like a redheaded step-child".

Though I must confess that I do not know why, redheads were often nick-named "Bluey" in Australia and New Zealand.

A good redheaded friend of mine's nick-name is "Milky", simply a reflection of his pale skin.
He honestly takes two bottles of S.P.F 30+ with him when he goes to the beach.

So I trust redheads will remain with us for evermore and hope that they do, for I find nothing more fetching than a gorgeous long redheaded lass allowing her mane to flow in the breeze as she gives you that "special" look.

Regards,

Jarrah.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by SupersonicSerpent
reply to post by Misoir

You need to lay off the fox news or cnn dosages.people like you make me laugh i can tell you aren't obviously of white origin.it really annoys me though their is you tube videos about Britain and america becoming Islamic states in 50 years time what a load of horse crap about 98% of the people i know and friends of friends and others who i have talked to about this. are reproducing nearly 3 times these stupid statistics say.

Are you denying large scale non white immigration and higher birth rates with these new immigrants-

check this vid, maybe fox made it

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

Eh. What is race? If a black person and white person have a kid, their child is called mix. But...we call present day populations of the same mix "Mediterranean"

Er, no we don't, I don't think Italians and Spanish people generally look like the product of a black and white person ffs, what is this nonsense

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TsukiLunar

I know you're likely joking but I don't find it funny.

I *love* redheaded women, especially those who don't feel the need to dye it blond or any other color.

This article does have a bit of truth though. There just aren't that many people where I live that have natural red hair and freckles, unless they're hiding both.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Cusp
I was looking for the Kids in the Hall sketch where the queens of England says that redheads used to be considered demons and killed. Turns out the witch-hunting manual, Malleus Maleficarum, says that red hair, green eyes and freckles are marks of a witch.

Some other interesting facts from here:
www.monstrous.com...

-Redheads don't get grey hair
-Redheads require more anesthesia than non-redheads.
-Redheads do have more sex than the average person.
-According to greek myths, redheads turn into vampires when they die.
red heads do get grey hair,my mate was bright ginger and went totally white by 25.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 06:31 AM
link   
i prefer the term ranga over redhead/gingers

Originally posted by JARRAH
Though I must confess that I do not know why, redheads were often nick-named "Bluey" in Australia and New Zealand.

while i have never heard a ranga referred to as bluey maybe it has its origins from blue healer/red healer ?? i dunno fist thing i thought of when i read 'bluey' is blue healer or blue tongue lizard

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by blueorder

yes because that's the city centers all the white people are working during the day all of those was probably doleys

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 07:37 AM
link   

yes because that's the city centers all the white people are working during the day all of those was probably doleys

Probably not eh

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 07:54 AM
link   

Because Mediterranean people are the result of interbreeding between white people and black people and middle eastern people.

Hence why they have the strong sun resistance of the blacks, blue eyes and blond hair of the whites, and a skin tone which burns into a color like that of Arabia, yet in Winter months becomes white.

It's a mixed race.... yet we call them a race. Why? What is "pure"? What is "mixed"?

This is why I ask why race exists. We are all of us, just a couple of variables that produce some function. And the fact that we recreate these variables all the time pretty much shows that race doesn't exist.

Two perfectly normal black hared, black eyed white people can by random chance produce a mutation that causes blue eyes and red hair. Yet we would not say in technical terms they are a different race.

All it is, is a code. Some series of genetic data that directs the alignment of a few molecules to show some sort of color and adaptation to the solar environment.
edit on 14-1-2012 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:15 AM
link   

National Geographic says the gene at first had the beneficial effect of increasing the body's ability to make vitamin D from sunlight.Read more: www.news.com.au...

Since we now see the sun in white instead of yellow, as we did only a few years ago, I can only think that the mutation of the MC1R, in Caucasians, and of TYRP1 in Africans, was because at some point in time, in the past, the sun appeared dimmed, forcing the DNA to adapt to this lack of light.

Now that the sun is stronger in output, we may be adapting and both genes may simply be going dormant, until the sun dims again.

We DO live on an unstable world, in an active system. DNA has had billions of years to adapt by being flexible. In more ways than we may actually consider.

But I'm no expert and this is only speculation.

Here's a link for you.

Having Irish blood in my veins, me and my kids are freckled and have taints of blond and red in our collective brown hairs. Only one is actually remaining blond, with not much freckles.
You're SO gonna miss us, in a hundred years! LOL

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

I would say that the "races" we see show 2 different signs; one is of the adaptation to the environment and conditions of life, and the other is by "inter-breeding" by a very large group of people. They end up sharing a few ancestors traits, probably based on the DNA experience in relation with point one...

But basically, we are all the same unique race, with a broad specter of adaptability.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   
This assumption appears to be inaccurate.

From my understanding, I was led to believe that genes can be dormant for long periods of time and when the correct chemical triggers occur, they can become dominant again.

So I don't believe they will be going extinct any time soon.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Yes that's how it works. But not all genes are activated and deactivated by chemicals. Some genes are nothing more than buffer zones so that the little mistakes your cells make while replicating don't always hit a vital area. Others are immunities to diseases long ago incorporated into the dna of the species, but yes most are protein sequences activated and deactivated by certain signaling chemicals.

Red hair itself is a common trait in primates. But strange enough, the actual gene itself is totally different for Orangutans, Neanderthals, humans, etc etc. Despite the presence of red hair in these species, the actual genes fr it in each species is unique per that species.

What this indicates is that the gene itself commonly goes extinct and returns in some other form over and over again.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by SupersonicSerpent

today's carriers are more prone to skin cancer and have a higher sensitivity to heat and cold-related pain.

I can attest to that 100 percent. I hate the cold as It always feels colder to me, my girlfriend is always griping at me to turn off the heat.

Thanks to my mother my hair is more blonde than most and the chicks love it. The red hair came from my grandmother to my dad to me.

I did get picked on a lot when I was younger but that all stopped when they got a beating from me or lost their girl to me
Most got a beating in the end. I also have the temper as well, I snap at a certain point.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   
So sad that gingers could be no more, dont you know that gingers have soul?

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
reply to post by JARRAH

My step sister has a red headed baby girl and her and her husband don't have red hair. Her husband has a great grandmother that did. I also doubt the gene is going anywhere.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Patriotsrevenge

lol i can usually with stand cold weather more than others.hot weather roasts me though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join