It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Commercials vs Culture, plus a small Challenge

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
Commercials are more than an advertisement for a product, it’s a statement on where our culture is standing on certain traditions, beliefs and virtues. In most cases it transcends personal afflictions, and focuses on something positive or humorous that we can all relate to in some way or another. But it may still be malicious in nature. However it’s interesting to note that it has always been like this, and always will be. Because it’s the best way of selling a product, wether it be tradition, belief or value. They angle it in a certain way, or attach an important value or virtue to it, just to sell you something that may or may not be good for you.

It may seem like somewhat of a paradox, but that’s the way it works in theory and in practice. But what is really interesting is how it reflects our culture, and how it’s always changing and transforming.

I’m going to present some advertisements from the ’old days’, and I challenge you to present some of the more recent ones that you find interesting in relation to this topic. Some of them are blatantly racist and disgusting, but they were once an advertisement reflecting the general view and opinion of the culture. It’s meant to be provoking, and it’s meant to make us raise questions on how it is today.

I appologize I can’t provide specific dates.

The Harder A Wife Works, The Cuter She Looks!

Men Ask “Is She Pretty?” Not “Is She Clever?”

Doesn’t Your Mama Wash You With Fairy Soap?

Le Cochon Prodigue

Youngest Customers In The Business

More Doctors Smoke Camels

Kind regards from Ronald, just remember I smoked Chesterfield!

Source1
Source2

Here's some additional sources that I didn't want to include specifically:
Supplemental 1
Huffington

new topics

join