It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Camera traps snap first ever photo of Myanmar snub-nosed monkey

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Well i didnt see this posted here?? anyway on with it

In 2010 researchers described a new species of primate that reportedly sneezes when it rains. Unfortunately, the new species was only known from a carcass killed by a local hunter. Now, however, remote camera traps have taken the first ever photo of the elusive, and likely very rare, Myanmar snub-nosed monkey (Rhinopithecus strykeri), known to locals as mey nwoah, or 'monkey with an upturned face'. Locals say the monkeys are easy to locate when it rains, because the rain catches on their upturned noses causing them to sneeze. "These images are the first record of the animal in its natural habitat," said Ngwe Lwin, a native to Myanmar, who first recognized that the primate may be a new species. "It is great to finally have photographs because they show us something about how and where it actually lives." Read more: news.mongabay.com...

Seems like they found out about this new monkey in 2010, but only now got a picture
. I dont know how to embed images here, so go to the link to see this monkey and read more about him

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 14/1/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Here it is embedded.

Nice find. Sounds like it took a month of putting up the camera traps and keeping them going to finally get a pic. They think there are less than 200 in existence.

I know Myanmar isn't exactly a popular tourist location, but it's still fascinating to me how we continue to this day even still find unknown or undocumented primates. Or any larger animals for that matter.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
It's amazing that these monkeys could be trapped and hunted easily which is why they are now rare, but it took scientist forever for just catch a photo of one.

Locals say the monkeys are easy to locate when it rains, because the rain catches on their upturned noses causing them to sneeze.

Good for them for proving they still exists, now how do we save them from extinction?

Mod Edit: External Source Tags Instructions – Please Review This Link.
edit on 14/1/2012 by ArMaP because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by LittleVoice731

Good for them for proving they still exists, now how do we save them from extinction?

Probably the best way to save them from extinction would have been to not publish the findings they actually found them...lol. Now everyone will be wanting to study them.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by LittleVoice731
Locals say the monkeys are easy to locate when it rains, because the rain catches on their upturned noses causing them to sneeze.

Who says we have to save anybody from anything? It's really not our responsibility, unless you're one of these people who believe God told us we have "dominion over all the creatures" of Earth. Otherwise, I think they're pretty much on their own.

edit on 13-1-2012 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   
Looks like Michael Jackson is still alive to me

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaqueFresco

I was going to say that considering that Myanmar is in southern Asia, the monkey looks very "Asian."

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   

Who says we have to save anybody from anything? It's really not our responsibility, unless you're one of these people who believe God told us we have "dominion over all the creatures" of Earth. Otherwise, I think they're pretty much on their own.

edit on 13-1-2012 by Blue Shift because: (no reason given)

Animals, in fact all animals do not have the power to save themselves if humans wanted to kill every single one, so technically, humans do in fact have complete dominion over all other known lifeforms on the entire planet.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
God has nothing to do with why I think it's important to protect our planet and the animals that live on it. I just happen to like animals and our planet. We are the dominate species and as so it kind of is our job to protect the place we live and the creatures that live on it as well.
It's a shame the answer is put them in a Zoo.

And just to add: God gave men and women a privileged place among all creatures and commanded them to exercise stewardship over the earth (Genesis 1:26-28; Psalm 8:6-8). Stewardship implies care taking, not abusing. We are to intelligently manage the resources God has given us, using all diligent care to preserve and protect them.
edit on 13-1-2012 by LittleVoice731 because: Cuz

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by JaqueFresco

I wasn't going to say it, but I thought it.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by webpirate

Thank you and a star for you my friend

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blue Shift

No, of course not - because it's not like it's us that are driving most of these species into extinction through hunting, logging, pollution, industrialisation, climate change, etc in the first place...

It's not our responsibility to take responsibility for our own actions.

Who cares about ethics, morals, sustainability - when we can instead just leave it all in the hands of some imaginary old man in the sky, and keep on truckin'

new topics

top topics

join