It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trying to Install a CD-RW

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 03:15 PM
link   
A couple minutes ago I tried to install a CD-RW unit but it did not work. I unhooked the old drive and put the new one in, and when the computer loads it trys to install Windows again, it asks for the boot disk, and trys to take me through the whole thing. I decided to attepmt it and a message came up and said I do not have a hard disk on the computer. So I figure screw it and I put the old one back in and everything works fine. What did I do wrong ? I don't think the burner is faulty since the computer did recongize it, the light was one and the bay was able to open.

[Edited on 9-12-2004 by JediMaster]

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 04:11 PM
link   
That is extremely weird. Did you make sure the jumper settings were correct? (I.E. The same as the old one).

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 05:10 PM
link   
My computer is a piece of #, I'm sure I had the right jumper in. I just spent the last hour reinstalling Windows since Explore failed to run at every start up, and I tried everything before reintallig, I tried scandisc, safe mode. Man, I really need a better OS.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Linux

You may still have problems... But the difference is... With the right knowledge, it will run like a dream

Unlike Windows, lol. Windows needs more hard work, and even then - it still fails for no reason at all. The reason being, Windows is so buggy. Even Microsoft admit it.

E_T

posted on Sep, 14 2004 @ 04:38 AM
link   
Check do you have newest BIOS.

What Wincrash you have, XP?
If that's the case, when installing XP checks components of your PC and calculates unique ID/"checksum".
If you make too big changes to PC it notices that and declines to work until you reactivate (or was it install) it.

top topics

join