It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New-found particle could help cool Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

New-found particle could help cool Earth

www.tgdaily.com

A long-hypothesized particle which could cool the planet by cleaning up the atmosphere has finally been discovered.

Researchers from the University of Manchester, the University of Bristol and Sandia National Laboratories say that Criegee biradicals are powerful oxidisers of pollutants such as nitrogen dioxide and sulfur dioxide, produced by combustion.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
Rather than allow myself the luxury of hope, I offer to you an opportunity to explore this development ... as one of the many recent scientific developments that seem to finally be blossoming for mankind.

I harbor great reservations about our collective wisdom to engage in climate engineering.... but this has potential promise.... or is it too good to be true?

Sandia researchers detected the particles using light from a third-generation synchrotron facility at the Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory's Advanced Light Source.

The intense, tunable light from the synchrotron allowed researchers to distinguish different isomeric species – molecules that contain the same atoms but arranged in different combinations.

And the team found that the Criegee biradicals react more rapidly than first thought, accelerating the formation of sulphate and nitrate in the atmosphere. These compounds lead to aerosol formation and ultimately to cloud formation, giving them the potential to be used in geoengineering projects aimed at cooling the planet.

Of course there will also be the matter of those who care more for what profit can be siphoned off the effort.... but then... isn't that always in the days of elite entitlements? (Apologies for waxing critical....)

Indeed, Criegee biradicals may already be having a cooling effect on the planet.

"A significant ingredient required for the production of these Criegee biradicals comes from chemicals released quite naturally by plants, so natural ecosystems could be playing a significant role in off-setting warming," says Professor Dudley Shallcross, professor in atmospheric chemistry at the University of Bristol.

Now there is a down-side to achieving global climate restoration.... it means that in about 1300 years we are definitely going to have another ice-age.... oh well... you take a little - you give a little.

Thanks for reading!

www.tgdaily.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
just makes me despair more about how people seem to think it's a good idea to cut down and destroy our natural ecosystems, just to clear some space

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Now we just have to find a way to mass produce these particles and dispurce them over basically every major city to cut down pollution. Its a start.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Science is just awesome...

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like we are crossing into the realm of Star Trek? At the very least more good news and possible remedies to remove our carbon / pollution footprint.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I seen a documentary recently that spoke of methods that we can use to cool down the earth temporarily at least until our main fuel source (fossil fuel based) can be replaced by greener sources. It's called "Cool it" I it's a good watch if anyone is interested.
edit on 13-1-2012 by Chewingonmushrooms because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:40 PM
link   
instead of mass producing it, we should build a cover, over every buildings, and that would house trees and plants.
That would be best. In Europe, it has been tried and it cools buildings.

We should go more "natural" in our approach with geo-engineering. Nature does it that way and its pretty successful, as I see it.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:49 PM
link   
i think we are entering the time of discoveries because a lot of things have been hidden from us for a long time, and now this is just the start. I'm sure there's going to be a lot of amazing advances in the next 10-20 years, and most of them for the better as we get away from the stupid things like oil, im sure we only use oil because it makes money for the elite, and people will look back at us in the future and they'll laugh at us for using such stupid things.

Things like graphene spring to mind, there seems to be advances coming from a few different places and most of them seem to have the potential to change the way of life as we know it today, soon so many things could be obsolete

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 04:35 PM
link   
I wonder do they yet have an informal name for Criegee biradicals? I would suggest, 'dingleberry'

If you look at the story, cloud cover is just a suggestion near the end and I'll bet you those guys are not really interested in AGW or CG, but it is a good way to keep the funding coming on the subjects that they are really interested in.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by LonelyGuy
Now we just have to find a way to mass produce these particles and dispurce them over basically every major city to cut down pollution. Its a start.

Chemtrails!!

Yeah baby!!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Maxmars

....Criegee biradicals may already be having a cooling effect on the planet.

"A significant ingredient required for the production of these Criegee biradicals comes from chemicals released quite naturally by plants, so natural ecosystems could be playing a significant role in off-setting warming," says Professor Dudley Shallcross, professor in atmospheric chemistry at the University of Bristol.

Gee. Do ya think maybe we should stop clear-cutting our forests, and just let the trees carry on doing what they do?

Or does it make more sense to cut down all the trees and manufacture some synthetic Criegee biradicals to replace their natural releases?

S&F - good find.

edit on 13/1/12 by soficrow because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
Maybe that's what's in the "chem-trails" lol'

-Second

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Cool the Earth... I think of past 'advanced' civilizations... supposed nuclear technology... space travel... and then I think of this, and ICE AGE comes to mind.

Of course, just a mind thinking outloud...

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
people need to quit meddling with mother nature. this planet goes through cycles, and regulates itself quite well.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by eightonefive

Yeah they shouldn't really be trying discover anything, just leave everything to mother nature even if we don't understand it.

This is a great find and bolsters our understanding of our environment. We may find now that we know how to detect these particles that nature does in fact find a balance with regards to global warming/climate change.

new topics

top topics

join