It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News Shut Out Of Canada For Lying!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by TranscendentSnake

I am glad it made you happy. Happiness is a good thing. It almost pains me to remind you that

THE ARTICLE IS WRONG - FULL OF ERRORS - IT DIDN'T HAPPEN

And I don't even like Fox News. Canada, I believe gets Fox News on cable (or satellite, whatever). You should be happy if you can get both right and left wing news. Study the message, not the messenger. (Ok, watch out for state run TV, but still check the facts from every source if it's important to you.)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   
For all the people saying this is a hoax, I will tell you that indeed it is NOT. Almost a year ago to this time I recall watching on CBC the report on NewsCorp wanting to open a Fox North right wing branch of news here in Canada. As a matter of fact I even SIGNED a petition to stop this from happening. I subscribe to Openmedia.ca on Facebook and the regularly update on things like this. The backlash from the Canadians citizens, thinking that our broadcasting laws where about to be torn down by Stephen Harper and his cronies, was immense and thus the CRTC decided to not allow this to go down.

I also read the entire source article in the OP and although it is coming from a blog and not from an actual credible source, I found non of the facts to be false or misleading, to the best of my knowledge.

Now, we do get American news channels here in Canada, including FOX, but these are mostly on a pay basis. Basic cable (no bundles, no digital BS packs) does not include them so we willfully subject ourselves to their lies by wanting more useless TV channels to flick through.

Now as far as the law goes... well, I watch CBC, CTV, and other mainstream Canadian news and I feel that they are just pushing the same propaganda as their American counterparts but there is a fair amount of investigative journalism done here in the Canadian news that you don't see on FOX or CNN. CBC also often broadcasts documentaries that favor the ATS Style of thought rather than a the mindless drone styles. I don't LOVE CBC or ANY msm source but its a hell of a lot more tolerable than American news and I for one am relieved that we won't be seeing a Fox North here.

Edited Side Note: All these Americans claiming this DID NOT HAPPEN? Since when do you even give two Sh*ts about what happens here in Canada, enough to pay attention to it and know it for fact? I may be clumping you all into the same group and I apologize for that but generally Americans know NOTHING about Canada and Canadian affairs because they have enough of their own problems to worry about. Canadians, on the other hand, know a load about what is going on in the USA because it greatly effects what happens here.
edit on 13/1/2012 by TheSparrowSings because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSparrowSings

Dear TheSparrowSings, (And I bet it's singing "Get Me Someplace Warm.")

I know this is irrelevant, but I thought I'd let you know that my parents are 'peggers.

You are absolutely correct that there was a lot of talk about Fox North in Canada. Won't argue with you at all. Surprised? After all, I seem to be the only one calling it a hoax.

The reason I still think it's a hoax, even after your testimony, is because "Fox North" is a nickname, like, I don't know, "the Western White House." It's not a White House, it just functions like one. And "Fox North" just looks like Fox. It is not Fox.

Please review my discussion with tothetenthpower. There is no evidence that the Fox News Corp. wanted to set up a network in Canada.

OK?

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

*lol* Singing get me someplace warm, not likely, its been WAY above seasonal this year and there is like NO snow on the ground. (Plus 1 Celsius today and Plus 10 a few days ago) If I was a conspiracy theorist I might be lead to think that there is something fishy going on with the global weather systems...

Back on to topic, I did read your replies and I see the side you are coming from. Now, the research that I had done into this back then had me led to believe that people from NewsCorp where funding the initiative to bring Fox North here to Canada. Of course I could have been misinformed, the information was coming from anti-Fox sources and other people along the way who might not have been aware of the full story and skewed it to seem that way, rather than being a "Fox-like" news. Thanks for taking the time to reply.

In the end, I am still happy to here that the CRTC stopped Harper in his tracks on changing the law, though. Thats all that matters to me. Harper not getting his way. *shakes fist at Harper* Brings a smile to my face to see him fail.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:14 PM
link   
reply to post by TheSparrowSings

Dear TheSparrowSings,

You sound like an American Republican talking about Obama:

In the end, I am still happy to here that the CRTC stopped Harper in his tracks on changing the law, though. Thats all that matters to me. Harper not getting his way. *shakes fist at Harper* Brings a smile to my face to see him fail.
Even though I love Manitoba, I was born in the US and have a lot of those prejudices. The First Amendment is a pretty big deal, and normally, we don't like our government messing with it.

I'd hate to be the government clerk that had to decide whether something was "misleading." Would "slanted" be considered "misleading?" I don't know, my first impression is that fooling around with freedom of the press is a risky move.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:20 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Not quite a doppelganger, if by doppelganger you mean identical or owned by News Corp...?

UPDATED 1-12-12 @6:47 p.m. ET: Thanks to all for the lively, well-informed and thought-provoking comments. I would like to say a few things: The person who put this post up is no longer with me. After reading some of what has been said here, I followed the links through and I believe this is where the (inaccurate) assertion that News Corp. owns Sun News came from:

Check the update in the OP source...

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by TupacShakur

I'm an American and recently visited Canada for the first time. I spent a week there and like back home had to have my daily news fix. I liked the way the Canadian news was given. I would like for the US national news and local news be more like what I enjoyed in Canada. This includes Fox News, which I used to watch all the time, and US local news, specifically "Channel 9 EyeWitness News" out of Orlando and for that matter all the other local stations.
And while I'm thinking about it, we Americans could stand to be a little more courteous.
Another Canadian trait I enjoyed

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Because I couldn't be arsed to read through all the ranting and arguing, I'll try to keep my eye on the ball. LIKE Fox News is just as bad as BEING Fox News. Anything that is even remotely as ridiculous as Fox News should be treated like a red-headed stepchild no one wanted(no offense to normal gingers). Or like the leftover pizza that sat in the fridge for over a week. Just because it isn't actually Fox News, doesn't mean that it isn't subject to the same level of disgust, revile, severe skepticism, distrust, and general disappointment that we normally view Fox with. Fear and hate-mongering, and the propagation of lies, distraction from the important things, and dis-info are the things we DON'T want being pushed through our media, regardless of which network broadcaster it comes from. The fact that Canada has a faithful(mostly) system for filtering out all or most of that waste of air-space is a good thing. I would also like to point out that there is, in fact, a difference between lying, and getting the facts wrong.

Just my take on things.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
reply to post by KnightwhosaysNi

Fine take on things. No problem.

The problem was that the OP was headlined "Fox News shut out of Canada for Lying," when that wasn't true. Further, it took a long time for people to see that it wasn't true.

Hate Fox all you want, I don't care. I care about the discussion and quality here.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by real_one

pwnt!

Canada is known for their BS reporting, I don't see what the problem is with FOX news. Canadian news broadcasting is a mirror image of their American counterparts.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   
I live in Toronto, and some TV stations are American. I watch our news and American news. American news is biased towards America. It doesn't even touch topics that Canadian news will cover. Heck, even BBC news world is way better to watch than CNN or Fox. Talk about 'dumbing down' the American public, by 'feeding' them what you want tthem to hear!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
if you are eliminating the giant media corporations then you forgot the one in Quebec: Quebecor- also one of the large corporations ruling the media producing the same reporting. With only a few media outlets, the stories are one that go with the agenda.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
Canadian news is just that. No bull no, crap no sensationalism.
We leave that to fox, the kids joke channel.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Thats grate but it really just sounds like they are attacking fox news. They surly have news networks that lie? Maybe I have been in America a little to long.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
A little further investigating led me into some further understanding of this whole "fox new north" now and I came to a few interesting conclusions.

Sun News Network, aka Fox News North, will launch on April 18 2011

By Charlie Smith, March 8, 2011

Quebecor Media Inc. has announced that its 24-hour news network will hit the airwaves on April 18. Sun News Network has been dubbed by critics as Fox News North because of its expected right-wing slant.

And then further down the story

Tens of thousands of people signed petitions to keep Sun News Network off the air, including novelist Margaret Atwood.

So... according to Sun News Networks Wikipedia page:

The channel launched on April 18, 2011 in both standard and high definition[3] under a Category 2 (later classified as Category C) licence granted by the CRTC in November 2010,[4][5] after the network aborted a highly publicized attempt for a Category 1 licence (later classified as Category A) that would have given it mandatory access on digital cable and satellite providers across Canada.

So clearly the CRTC ruling had absolutely no effect on the delay of this "Fox-Like" 24 hours news channel. (Channel 177 on my digital box) As the network aborted the effort to get the channel on digital and satellite, rather than only a few providers of cable/satellite... But they are there... and they are pretty conservative.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
reply to post by DresdenCodex

I'm happy and i am not Canadian

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 02:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Fishticon84

For example: I can not subscribe to DirectTV even if I go and buy the dish in the US and get a PO box in Plattsburgh and I can not view videos on certain websites such as MTV and Comedy Central.

I used to have such problems til I downloaded and set up a little app called rtmpGUI. Google it. It streams almost all American and popular international cable network tv channels right to your PC for free. It's so good, I don't pay for cable anymore.. no need to.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
I get fox news in my car. Pretty sure it works in Canada although I have not traveled there for many years.

If someone wants it, there is no way to prevent them from receiving it in our tiny little world ringed with satellites.

I like fox news. Liked to listen to the morning show on the way in to work when I lived in Michigan. Now, I am on the shift that starts at midnight, and living in So Ca so I watch it on TV in the breakroom at lunch time (4am west coast time).

The only thing that I really did not like was Glen Beck. He is a little too intense for me.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 02:29 AM
link   
When they say Fox News, do they mean all of the news programs? Because i've seen people use the term "Fox News" alot to when referring to shows that are on the Fox News network. Also, what about opinion programs? I'm pretty sure those don't qualify as newscasts, and I would like to think that Canadians are smart enough to know the difference between the two (America, not so much). Don't get me wrong, I don't like Fox (with some execptions), just wondering.

That being said, I really have no problem with this as long as they treat all other news organizations fairly in regards to this and don't try to play favorites.
edit on 14-1-2012 by technical difficulties because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   
reply to post by technical difficulties

Hey, we let you guys open Tim's down here, aye...

Maybe they mean "over the air" as opposed to satellite or pay services.

Or maybe Gov subsidised channels.

We have NPR here in the US, heavily subsidised by the Gov. Very left leaning. They are very heavy on news though. Hours and hours of news every day.

Some commercial US stations use Fox for their once an hour news at the top of the hour.

This is interesting, link below, look at upper right on page. They have an Obama leaves office count down timer. Look right below the google search box.

Canada Free Press
edit on 14-1-2012 by kawika because: corectolated spel'n err

edit on 14-1-2012 by kawika because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-1-2012 by kawika because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join