It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fox News Shut Out Of Canada For Lying!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+82 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:00 PM
link   
finally!

source

something we all suspected, eh?

Canada’s Radio Act requires that “a licenser may not broadcast … any false or misleading news.”

from the article:
"Fox News will not be moving into Canada after all! The reason: Canadian regulators announced last week they would reject efforts by Canada’s right-wing Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, to repeal a law that forbids lying on broadcast news."

sweet victory.
edit on 13-1-2012 by DresdenCodex because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by DresdenCodex

Good Job Canada!

We have our own BS news, why do we need to import it?

Peace

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   

pwnt!

Canada is known for their BS reporting, I don't see what the problem is with FOX news. Canadian news broadcasting is a mirror image of their American counterparts.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by real_one

Canada is known for their BS reporting, I don't see what the problem is with FOX news. Canadian news broadcasting is a mirror image of their American counterparts.
That's not what the article says:

Canada’s Radio Act requires that “a licenser may not broadcast … any false or misleading news.” The provision has kept Fox News and right-wing talk radio out of Canada and helped make Canada a model for liberal democracy and freedom. As a result of that law, Canadians enjoy high quality news coverage, including the kind of foreign affairs and investigative journalism that flourished in this country before Ronald Reagan abolished the “Fairness Doctrine” in 1987.

Political dialogue in Canada is marked by civility, modesty, honesty, collegiality, and idealism that have pretty much disappeared on the US airwaves.
But I don't live in Canada so I wouldn't know...

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Good riddance Fox and STAY OUT!.

S&F for you OP

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

good news, though it appears to have been released about 1yr ago.

Source:

my hip hop line 2/3

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Fox News Channel is currently offered by Access Communications, Bell TV, Cogeco, Eastlink, Manitoba Telecom Services, Rogers, SaskTel, Shaw Cable, Shaw Direct and Telus TV. A notable exception is Vidéotron, Canada’s third largest cable company, which has not added Fox News Channel to its lineup.

I don’t know if the individual who put up this post was aware of the above information — I would say not — but though the article says an application was approved to bring Fox News to Canada, despite some quick research, I do not get the impression that Fox News has a channel broadcast from Canada, staffed with Canadians, aimed at Canadians. Far as I can tell, the Fox News seen in Canada is the Fox News produced out of New York City, and it is the same version we see here in the states. So, again, far as I can tell, Fox still hasn’t been granted permission to produce a separate, Canadian-centered news show in Canada.

We get Fox ( and CNN, MSNBC ) from the US, we just don't have Fox Canadian.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Now we just need to get rid of CBC, CTV, Canwest Global... did I forget any?

I'm at the point where I turn to CNN for news now

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:22 PM
link   
U.S. = Lied
Canada = Staged

Not much of a difference tho but canadian public networks are far more popular compared and less staged. They try to justify their bread and butter after all, theres plenty of nice documentaries from the CBC or NOF/ONF.

Anyway Faux News is pretty much considered a tragi-comedy anywhere else in the world.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
This is just the CRTC saying what Canadians are not allowed to watch or listen to, as usual.

In Canada we have a government run group called the CRTC. They choose what we are allowed to watch on TV based on if it includes "good Canadian values".

How they ACTUALLY work is the CRTC asks for tax payments from these networks and if they refuse to pay, Canadians do not get to watch things from those networks.

For example: I can not subscribe to DirectTV even if I go and buy the dish in the US and get a PO box in Plattsburgh and I can not view videos on certain websites such as MTV and Comedy Central.

If it had anything to do with "good Canadian values" I wouldn't be hearing my friends talk about some boring junk they seen on Jersey Shore last night and The Trailer Park boys would have never existed.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Please forgive the anger. No, don't forgive it, I mean it. This is nowhere near ATS standards. It should be in the HOAX BIN. And the responses
Did anyone read the article?

I don’t know if the individual who put up this post was aware of the above information — I would say not — but though the article says an application was approved to bring Fox News to Canada, despite some quick research, I do not get the impression that Fox News has a channel broadcast from Canada, staffed with Canadians, aimed at Canadians. Far as I can tell, the Fox News seen in Canada is the Fox News produced out of New York City, and it is the same version we see here in the states. So, again, far as I can tell, Fox still hasn’t been granted permission to produce a separate, Canadian-centered news show in Canada.

So, I hope this addresses some of the very good points made on the comment thread. Again, this is my blog and I take full responsibility for the post but prior to today I had no idea it contained such major flaws, primarily the clear implication that News Corp. owns Sun News.

I am the only one posting here as of roughly seven months ago and I insofar as I believe propaganda spread by Fox and the U.S. corporate media is literally a threat to our democracy, I take facts and accuracy dead seriously and I apologize that the flaws in this post weren’t corrected immediately.

Why did everyone accept this? Is it because it makes FOX look bad?

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

No no, this actually happened.

blogs.marketwatch.com...

Fox News North, was coming to Canada.

Kory Teneycke, former communications director to Canada’s Conservative Prime Minister, Stephen Harper.

The deal was not put through as Fox was attempting to get the laws changed so they could lie.

It's not a hoax.

~tenth

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Dear tothetenthpower,

You know that my respect for you is nearly boundless, but I'll have to ask for something other than the source you provided. The first paragraph of that source is:

This week’s announcement that Montreal media mogul Pierre Karl Peladeau is planning a conservative all-news cable channel to launch next January – a channel most agree will be similar to Fox News here – is causing quite a stir in Canada.
"Similar" to Fox News. It wasn't going to be Fox News and the guy who was planning on putting the station in is not Fox News. As the correction I posted above indicates, Fox News is not a part of this. The guy planning it was a Montreal media mogul. Not Murdock or any fox executive.

So far, my belief that it is a hoax stands.

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Fair enough, here are more sources from other organizations who helped block the move.

www.avaaz.org...

rabble.ca...

n 2003, the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission (CRTC) rejected a Canadian Cable Telecommunications Association (CCTA) application to bring Fox News to Canada because Fox News U.S. and Global Television were planning to create Fox News Canada, a combination of U.S. and Canadian news. However in 2004, after a Fox U.S. executive said there were no plans to create the combined channel, the CRTC approved an application to bring Fox News to Canada.[77]

en.wikipedia.org...

Older sources; but proves they've wanted to come here for a long time.

And this one:

digg.com...

The reason: Canada regulators announced last week they would reject efforts by Canada's right wing Prime Minister, Stephen Harper, to repeal a law that forbids lying on broadcast news.

Hope that helps.

~Tenth

edit on 1/13/2012 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Ha!! I can tune in to Fox news during ANY political discussion, at ANY time, and even after stomaching it for 10 minutes, I already lose track of all the half-truths and full-on LIES that they spew without any shame whatsoever.

Fox is a JOKE. And anyone who tunes in and mindlessly accept that nonsense is also a joke. Especially those among us who 'parrot' the Fox news right-winger nonsense over and over and then are forced to cease when they are OVERWHELMINGLY shot down with FACTS and truth.

Its hilarious watching the right-winger extremists one month, and then seeing them with their tails between the legs the next month after nonstop 'parroting' Fox and the other inaccurate liar right-winger media fools.

Poor folks, er 'parrots'.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Dear tothetenthpower,

I love you like a brother (unless you're a girl, then I love you like a sister), but I'm going to have to demand that ATS buys me a new computer. Mine obviously isn't working right.

Every link you've provided simply reinforces my point. Going down the list

Prime Minister Harper is trying to push American-style hate media onto our airwaves, and make us all pay for it. His plan is to create a "Fox News North" to mimic the kind of hate-filled propaganda with which Fox News has poisoned U.S. politics. The channel will be run by Harper’s former top aide and will be funded with money from our cable TV fees!
Do you see it? "Mimic" Fox News. There's nothing in the article that says it is Fox News. If you're mimicing something, you're not the real thing, but you're like it.

As columnist Lawrence Martin reported in The Globe and Mail last week, Teneycke has become the point man propelling Quebecor's Pierre-Karl Peledeau's plan to create a right-wing television network modelled on Fox News.
"Modelled on Fox News." It's not Fox News.

However in 2004, after a Fox U.S. executive said there were no plans to create the combined channel, the CRTC approved an application to bring Fox News to Canada.[77]

Fox News Channel is currently offered by Access Communications, Bell TV, Cogeco, Eastlink, Manitoba Telecom Services, Rogers, SaskTel, Shaw Cable, Shaw Direct and Telus TV. A notable exception is Vidéotron, Canada's third largest cable company, which has not added Fox News Channel to its lineup.
Reading into the second paragraph shows 1) That Fox News wasn't shut out of Canada and 2) It's signal was allowed to be carried, not the establishment of a new network. I suppose it's like getting any foreign TV show on cable.

The last source you provided was a blog on Huffington Post. Here's the title:

Regulators Reject Proposal That Would Bring Fox-Style News to Canada

You see why I need a new machine? Absolutely nothing that appears on my screen supports the idea that Fox News was shut out of Canada for any reason, let alone lying.

What's going on? Am I nuts? (Please, answer that only to yourself.)

With respect,
Charles1952

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
*phew*

Guess we dodged a bullet there.

So now we can just continue to sit in our Canadian living rooms laughing at the stupidity of the US-based Faux News without it directly effecting our front doorstep.

Time to crack open a canadian beer and chow down on some back bacon in celebration of this momentous victory for us armchair critics !

Hoot aboot !

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 05:57 PM
link   

Well you know.

It seems I have been misinformed. I originally read a store that talked about executives and employees of fox assisting Kory Teneycke in creating this new venue.

Apparently I'm mistaken.

Thanks for making me look into it further.

So yes, Fox News "like" as he was modelling it after Fox News. The conspiracy theorist in me wants to believe that Fox has something to do with this.

But I can't seem to find any corroborated evidence.

Good catch

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
The Sun Television Network, which is a doppelganger of Fox News and nicknamed 'Fox North', has been up and running for some time now.

So, there it is. Harper's dream has come true.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 06:09 PM
link   

This made me happy to read, but for the most part, our news is no different than in the States. We still get that stupid fear projection that is always going on in America (Maybe not quite as bad). But still, having no FOX news is still a victory!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join