It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Letter From My Senator Who Co-Sponsored Protect IP Act

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Well, here's your opportunity to light a fire at the Facebook or Twitter of one of the people who master-minded this manure.

Dear xxx ,

Thank you for contacting me regarding S. 968, the Protect IP Act.

Intellectual property industries employ more than 19 million people, making it an integral part of our economy. Rogue websites dedicated to the sale and distribution of counterfeit goods and pirated content are a direct threat to these jobs and to entrepreneurs growing and building legitimate businesses online.

Businesses have lost $135 billion in revenue annually as a result of these rogue sites. Customers have also been harmed by these sites; for example, online pharmacies that don't adhere to U.S. regulations have been reported to cause a rapid increase in prescription drug abuse.

I am a cosponsor of the Protect IP Act which would cut off foreign websites dedicated to counterfeiting and piracy that steal American jobs, hurt the economy, and harm customers. It would allow the Justice Department to file a civil action against those who have registered or own a domain name linked to an infringing website. The bill does not allow the Justice Department to target domain names registered by a U.S. entity.

Innovation is a cornerstone of our nation's economic growth. Proper intellectual property protections and incentives ensure that inventors develop products that benefit consumers. Without such incentives for innovators, we risk falling behind places like China and India.

Agai n, thank you for contacting me. I look forward to continuing our conversation on Facebook ( www.facebook.com/SenatorBlunt ) and Twitter ( www.twitter.com/RoyBlunt ) about the important issues f acing Missouri and the country. I also encourage you to visit my website ( blunt.senate.gov ) to learn more about where I stand on the issues and sign-up for my e-newsletter .

Sincere regards,

Roy Blunt
United States Senator

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   
No matter what you wrote to him this would have been the generic answer you got back. They simply insert your name and go from there. I know it is hard to face but true. Furthermore he is uninformed as it is and only mimics what he has been told without looking deeply into all aspects of an issue.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by antar

Yes, I know that is a standard reply he sends to any constituent that has an issue with Protect IP Act. I was just putting his facebook and twitter information out there for anyone who wanted to share there opinions with him.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Please allow me a little sarcastic headroom.

I wasted as much time on your letter as your Senator's Secretary will. Zero seconds. I am sure you raise very good points but please, it's just an exercise in time-wasting and futility. Save your time, your effort and your breath for more effective measures. The revolution will not be televised....

ETA Roy Blunt?
Cool name. Politicians are rarely blunt...

edit on 13/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by sad_eyed_lady

Do you think that it would make a difference? I dont because once they get the backing from whomever they just dont change their direction. Do you agree?

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
None of this would be going on if copyright was for a reasonable term. 20 years is more than plenty. I have yet had anyone tell me why a song, book or movie is more valuable than an actual invention. If I can't make money the rest of my life and then will my rights to my grandchildren, what's the point of inventing anything? If I write a hit song, I am set for life. So are my kids and their kids. But if I invent a way to feed all the poor people, or a device that makes unlimited energy, I get 17 years. WTF? Why isn't there a concerted push to reduce copyright to 20 years? Why isn't there there same effort to make patents last forever the way media does?

It makes no sense. And when the laws makes no sense, it should be ignored. Copyright is stupid right now. And should not be enforced until it is brought into line with patents.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Please, even if you don't care to make him look like a _____ on facebook. Remember his name.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   
This is the face of a real Politician, that said, his entire family has sold out to TPTB for power and control. They would preferred that the Internet had never been established in the first place as it stands to educate people rather than keeping them ignorant voters.

Edit to say, if you divide his face into left and right you can see where his heart energy resides, the left eye shows no compassion nor light. The right is his political mental side and that is where all of his energy lies.
edit on 13-1-2012 by antar because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 05:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Ookie

It does make a lot of sense when you are working for Walt Disney and want to continue to capitalise on Mickey Mouse. This has been one of the main lobbies that have continue to extend the coverage period of copyright.

I do agree that IP and copyright terms are a bit of mess these days with lawyers in this field some of the best paid. I do consider it reasonable that an inventor does get a chance to capitalise on their investments. There are many different time periods depending on the product from about 3 years for drugs to 70 years past the death of the creator for art works.

I do acknowledge that money is important, but when it is said that this is the only reason we do something it is producing some very negative consequence, like war for example. Generally most of us do work to try and improve our world in some way. Until a more accurate picture of the motivations and why we do what we do is developed, the IP scene will continue to be a mess.

top topics

join