It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

US raises concerns with Moscow over Syria-bound ship

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   

US raises concerns with Moscow over Syria-bound ship

www.jpost.com

The United States said on Friday it had raised concerns with Moscow over a Russian-operated ship that has arrived in Syria and which sources said contained a cargo of bullets.

"With regard to the ship we have raised our concerns about this both with Russia and with Cyprus, which was the last port of call for the ship, and we are continuing to seek clarification as to what went down here," State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said.

The United States had not independently verified the contents of the ship's cargo, she said
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
uk.news.yahoo.com

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Am I the only one to see the irony in this concern?

The U.S. and it's allies can park their navy any place it feels and sell weaponry to whoever they want, but they have the nerve to criticize Russia for delivering some bullets.

They're going public with this "concern" even though they even admitted there is no confirmation of these claims. All the hypocrisy from both sides is getting a little too much to handle.

www.jpost.com

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Well didn't you know that washington is the overlords of the planet?
Apparently they think so, do you think that they can put sanctions against Russia now?

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sweetnlow

I could see them eventually trying to manipulate the international community into considering sanctions on Russia but that would be a joke. Too many countries would be against it.

You're right though, the world police hold themselves to a different set of standards than the ones they force on every one else.
edit on 13-1-2012 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:35 PM
link   
What about the US ships loaded with weapons that go to countries like Israel, saudi arabia etc:

Dubai gets 2 THAAD systems

I am really concerned about those weapons as well.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

I think the U.S. should be concerned over Israel and it's nuclear possibilities which have been causing instability in the region for decades. Instead they want to spew this propaganda against Russia for an alleged bullet shipment to the Syrian regime. This sure gives them a good chance to demonize Russia though.

Were they this mad about the S-300 Russia delivered?

That's what they should be worrying about.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Google "American exceptionalism". A lot of opinion regarding this term and it's implications, as well as real world examples.
edit on 13-1-2012 by inivux because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by inivux

I hate to say it but it looks like Stalin hit the nail right on the head way back in 1929. This mentality doesn't apply to all Americans but it does exist in a sizable amount of people. I can say this as I lived there for 5 years so I do have some valid reasons to come to that decision. Reading some of the posts on ATS should be enough to prove that this exists though.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
The US has no right questioning and interfering in Russian Business. enough with the damn American exceptionalism.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Indeed.

It is not only the mindset of the stereotypical "Cowboy"/Texan warmongering "patriot", but also the mindset of the people who refuse to believe America is becoming more and more fascist, or willingly, blindly accept the creeping fascism in the name of "security".

In the former case, it is arrogance. In the latter case, it is ignorance. The drooling masses are made up of members of both of these groups.

It is also the underlying philosophy behind the US Government's foreign policy, as evidenced by their actions referenced in the very article this thread is about.

So, it is no wonder why non-Americans hate us and our Government so. I blame none of you. I don't blame the arrogant or ignorant Americans as described above, either.

I only blame the Government, as they are the ones "controlling" (not literally) the weak minded into believing the same patriotic doublespeak crap they have been force feeding us since the end of the Cold War.

Thankfully, more and more of those ignorant, arrogant idiots have been waking up.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:15 PM
link   
"We think, we suspect, we see probability, we're worried, we don't like..."

Is this Washington speaking for the world again ?
Or is Washington just speaking for Washington ?

Bullets exchange hands all over the world every damn day, why is it suddenly so worrisome ?

With all the jumping up and down on soapboxes lately, it sounds like the Skull and Bones boys are starting to get a little scared of the plebeians rising up and fighting back.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

The U.S. and it's allies can park their navy any place it feels and sell weaponry to whoever they want, but they have the nerve to criticize Russia for delivering some bullets.

They're going public with this "concern" even though they even admitted there is no confirmation of these claims. All the hypocrisy from both sides is getting a little too much to handle.

www.jpost.com

Irony? Perhaps.

But still and all, there are no two (or more) wrongs that make a right. One does not have to excuse one mistake in order to recognize another. It's okay to criticize both.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by redoubt

In this specific incident I wouldn't consider any of the actions a right or wrong.

The Russians aren't doing anything wrong by shipping bullets to their ally as it's in their best interest (if they are even delivering bullets as the claims suggest).

Even if I don't agree with the dishonest tactics used by the person quoted in this article, they are doing what they consider to be in their best interest so it's not exactly wrong either.

Someone with a different perspective could easily switch it up and claim both sides are in the wrong, or one may even decide that one is wrong and one is right.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

reply to post by redoubt

In this specific incident I wouldn't consider any of the actions a right or wrong.

The Russians aren't doing anything wrong by shipping bullets to their ally as it's in their best interest (if they are even delivering bullets as the claims suggest).

Even if I don't agree with the dishonest tactics used by the person quoted in this article, they are doing what they consider to be in their best interest so it's not exactly wrong either.

Someone with a different perspective could easily switch it up and claim both sides are in the wrong, or one may even decide that one is wrong and one is right.

Then the right and wrong of it is dependent on the perspective? Okay, let's try that.

The view from the hill and the view from the valley looking upon the same event may be different, but the outcome will be the same.

I wasn't offering a view from either position but an opinion on the perspectivity. Nothing more

edit on 13-1-2012 by redoubt because: typo

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   

The linked article is extremely brief and does not describe why there are concerns. You should have sought out better info before posting, you probably would have stumbled across this more in-depth article:

uk.reuters.com...

Note the following quotes:

A source in Cyprus, where the ship made a stop for refuelling Tuesday, said the ship had given written assurances its destination would not be Syria but Turkey.

It was allowed to sail a day later, whereupon it dropped off conventional tracking systems, switched course and reached Syria Thursday.

See the problem? The ship filed a destination, then disabled its tracking systems and proceeded to a different destination, apparently while carrying a cargo of weaponry. American ships have done no such thing, they are operating under legal, international maritime laws. Other countries may complain about where our ships go, but they are operating completely legally. This Russian ship was not. Big difference.

Here are some additional quotes to help understand why there is concern:

"The ship was carrying a dangerous cargo," the source at St. Petersburg-based Westberg Ltd. said by telephone on condition of anonymity. "It reached Syria on January 11th."

Rosoboronexport spokesman Vyacheslav Davidenko said the arms exporter would neither confirm nor deny the report. "We do not comment on where our deliveries go, when they leave port or how."

Russia has voiced strong opposition to arms embargoes and has promised to uphold arms contracts with Syria, one of its top weapons customers, despite increasing international pressure.

An unnamed military source was quoted as saying in December that Russia had delivered anti-ship Yakhont missiles to Syria.

The European Union said it was aware of the case and national authorities were responsible for making sure an EU arms embargo is upheld.

edit on 13-1-2012 by SavedOne because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SavedOne

I hate to knock you off your soap box, but the article you "found" was published 10 minutes after I posted the thread. I came across this news as it was breaking and only available on the Reuters twitter page. You should do your homework next time before you try to act high and mighty, maybe save yourself from some embarrassment in the future?

Just some friendly advice

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by SavedOne
See the problem? The ship filed a destination, then disabled its tracking systems and proceeded to a different destination, apparently while carrying a cargo of weaponry. American ships have done no such thing, they are operating under legal, international maritime laws. Other countries may complain about where our ships go, but they are operating completely legally. This Russian ship was not. Big difference.

So? even if the GPS off crap were true instead of the usual U.S fabrication... what are you gonna do about it?

The U.S. has peed on every international law on the book and even on other people's corpses, so no one is listening to your righteous whines.
edit on 13-1-2012 by Brasov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 12:58 PM
link   

top topics

join