It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sleep problems

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 02:40 PM
link   
I have rather disturbing thoughts everytime I put my head to the pillow everynight. This keeps me awake dwelling on things. I tend to put the TV on or read a book to get rid of these thoughts and feelings, but it doesn't always work.

Over the last few weeks I've had very little sleep because of these 'thoughts'. Take last night for example, I went to bed at 10:30PM, turned off light, put head on pillow, then a really horrible thought pops into my head. Then, I am up until 3AM in the morning. Usually around this time my body goes to sleep and the thoughts go. But it shouldn't be like this. I shouldn't have these thoughts. They can be really sick, violent, and very, very, disturbing ones. This lack of sleep affects me during the day and so I am exhausted and very grumpy, which some people have complained about. This just isn't me.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 02:45 PM
link   
You know whats really weird aare my dreams. I dont acually remember any except for me doing some meaningless thing in a meaningless situation. Waht is odd is that either that day or in a week it will happen exactly as I imagined, the words, sights, sounds smells, even what I aam thinking. kinda freaks me out.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I think there is condition that relates to my sleep problems, I forget the name. But there is other things I experience. I mentioned this in another forum. For some reason I cannot get myself in the mood to share the whole story with you. The thoughts provoked whilst writing about these things will no doubt make my sleep tonight worse. Tomorrow I will briefly describe the situation about these things I experience, that way I'm not getting into the horrible state of mind before going to bed.

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 03:18 PM
link   
sorry cant help you

but i do have some good news

I just saved a load of money by switching to Geico

posted on Sep, 12 2004 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Firstly have you been to your docs about this? If not I suggest you do

When did they start? And has anything changed in your life when you started having these thoughts?

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 02:54 AM
link   
I know it's not uncommon to be kept awake for hours due to racing thoughts, but the violent and sick nature of yours is something i have not experienced. Although i am usually kept awake for a while by my thoughts which i cannot seem to stop easily, the strangest i have experienced is just completely random words linked together (often meaningless) and sometimes it seems my thoughts are in another "voice". Maybe taking some natural sleeping aid such as Valerian would help you sleep and you wont have to put up with the thoughts for as long. If they continue, perhaps a psychologist might be able to help determine and/or correct this problem.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Make an appeal to your higher self and gurdian angel ask for their protection and help to take these thoughts away,kind of like praying a little.Repeat your request in a authoritative manner. you should get results. These are thoughts that are not your own, and are sometimes the result of an outside source.

hope this helps
Parker

[edit on 13-9-2004 by parker]

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 05:18 AM
link   
It sounds a little like anxiety/depression to me.

Violent thoughts in such cases can be your brains attempt to deal with things that are frustrating you in real life. If you aren't able to deal with these issues in practice, then your mind will sometimes resort to more animal instincts, violent thoughts etc to rectify them particularly late at night when you are trying to sleep.

If you find that, even when having these thoughts, you also have an overall awareness that these things "just aren't you", then I shouldn't worry unduly. In fact the conflict between these thoughts and the "real you" forms part of the anxiety.. it becomes self-feeding.. i.e. you get angry and frustrated by your own thoughts, and get mad at yourself for having them.

Like Asala says, you should probably seek help, since it can be pretty grim going through what you seem to be suffering. I would recommend some sort of "talking treatment" first, before resorting to anti-depressants or anti-anxiety medication though if you can, simply because chemical assistance can sometimes extend the problem in the long term.

By talking treatment I mean things like counseling, therapy, or even simple meditation, and prayer (or "affirmations" if you're not religious)

I went through something similar myself a few years back. It wasn't some sinister personality change or anything like that... just a bit of a "mental knot" that it is all too easy to get into in this day and age.

if you want to talk about it privately, feel free to u2u me. You aren't alone, and if my experience is anything to go by, these things can be solved more easily than you think.

[edit on 13/9/04 by muppet]

[edit on 13/9/04 by muppet]

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 05:58 AM
link   
Hey dude. Please don't take offense at this but it's quite worrying that you have violent / sadistic (I'm assuming) thoughts. Have you talked to a psychologist about it?

I do remember some psychological condition that makes a person have disturbing thoughts... maybe a form of schizophrenia
Anyway, have a talk with your doc and if he doesn't refer you to a psychologist I'd recommend you seek a (good) one out and get his opinion

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 06:28 AM
link   

They can be really sick, violent, and very, very, disturbing ones. This just isn't me.

Maybe it is you. Don't be afraid to think. Just let go.
If you still can't sleep, try taking pills. Thats what they are for.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   
yes , i must agree try taking sleeping pills , and if it gets worse talk to your doc...

HI
I had a near death experiance.Ever since before i go to bed , i close my eyes and just before i fall asleep i start seeing things with my eyes closed.It like beast/demons /whate ver it is.It start of with little green dots and then transforming into these thing/creature. Scary thing is i can even c their eyes moving and pointing fingers(I know it sounds crazy)The other scary part is i saw these thing , 3 of them i got so scared i opened my eyes and for like a split second the things appeared before me . I had goosbumbs , and a hell of a skirk .I shy to talk about this cause it sounds crazy.
Any advise or what this could be .Is this me getting crazy ?

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by ravenger
yes , i must agree try taking sleeping pills , and if it gets worse talk to your doc...

HI
I had a near death experiance.Ever since before i go to bed , i close my eyes and just before i fall asleep i start seeing things with my eyes closed.It like beast/demons /whate ver it is.It start of with little green dots and then transforming into these thing/creature. Scary thing is i can even c their eyes moving and pointing fingers(I know it sounds crazy)The other scary part is i saw these thing , 3 of them i got so scared i opened my eyes and for like a split second the things appeared before me . I had goosbumbs , and a hell of a skirk .I shy to talk about this cause it sounds crazy.
Any advise or what this could be .Is this me getting crazy ?

There are certain times in your life when you go through a stage that dreams fight with your REM stage of your sleep. That is the only time you dream during your sleep. Unfortunately I was gogin to become a psychologist.... but all I learned about Psychology was that we do not know anything about Psycology. but I did learn some things about dreams.. ... Not very much but alittle ...

Your dreams is almost like a sedative it lets your mind rest. Your body rest all lthe time you sit down and your body goes into relaxation mode. But your mind does not go into rest .... well unless you like Xanax or valium ... or sleeping pills ..,

If you will take like 3 original formula not the chewable but the regular original formula .... and Drink a beer ... or a drink of any kind .. .you will be feeling so good in about 2 hours that you will sleep the best sleep you have ever gotten. ... or just go to Amsterdam ... I garuntee you will get the best sleep you have ever gotten. Just ask someone for thier herbal remedies.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 11:25 AM
link   
If this has been going on for a few weeks and impacting your sleep, it is definitely at the level of creating a functional impairment. You most likely have a form of anxiety disorder. There are medications that are not physically addictive and quite safe to help you sleep (one is called Sonata). Additionally there are medications to help you manage thoughts that you cannot control (one is called Luvox).

Cognitive-behavioral psychological treatment/therapy, administered by a licensed clinical psychologist in your location, can also help you to learn about the nature of anxiety and why it is difficult to control your thoughts.

I'd recommend going to get help as soon as possible, because the longer this goes on, the greater the risk for you to develop other psychological difficulties such as depression. There is help. If you live in the United States, your general practitioner (medical doctor) should be able to give you a referral for a psychiatrist (medications) or a psychologist (treatment). The research shows that for this particular problem, a combination of medication and therapy is most effective.

Also, realize that "Just thinking it does not make it so". Thoughts are thoughts- they do not automatically change the future and they do not mean you MUST do something that you do not want to do. You are in control of your behavior, even if these thoughts make you question this.

The nature of repetitive and unpleasant thoughts is such that it puts the person into an irrational mindset, often leading to more and more unpleasant thoughts. Journaling all of these unpleasant thoughts, as you are having them, may be more effective than distracting yourself from them. Get it out onto paper, no matter how bizarre or repetitive they are. This has an added bonus because when you go to the psychologist, they can use your journaling to help tailor their treatment for you. Again though, you should definitely seek help, because it is available. If you go to a psychologist, make sure you ask them during your first visit if they practice "cognitive-behavioral treatment for anxiety". This has been demonstrated to be one of the most effective (and quickest) types of therapy for your particular problem.

MK

EDIT: I notice you are in the UK- this is a very good thing because UK health care requirements mandate psychologists to practice what is called "evidence-based treatment". In other words, you're more likely to get someone with cognitive-behavioral experience than if you lived in the US.

[edit on 13-9-2004 by MKULTRA]

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The reason that I went into psycology is to figure out why I had so many bad dreams at night. I would have dreams that were so real, little flying monkeys or somethign that would chase me around my house in my dream and try and pick me up and take off with me when they woudl touch me I would always wake-up. But there was this one time I rememebr specifically that I was running and my whole family .. mom dad and two sisters were sitting at the dinner table and my dad was calling me for supper and I was running from these little monsters. I think if i get to my dad then I will be safe b/c he is there and it is in light. They normally didn't come in light. but that night in that dream they came in the light and they grabbed me ... well the next day I had thoguht about the previous days events ... well me and my dad were arguing that ngiht before I went to sleep hence ... the fact that he woudln't help me in my dream ... that next night I went out and screamed in the dark I was living in a veryUrban area at the time and the next neighbor was about 2 miles form me so ... the yelling was pretty loud ... the reason that I yelled that night in my young age of about 15 ... is because me and my dad had gotten into an argument and I went outside and I was litterally so pissed off that I wanted somethign to actualy try and come and get me .... really ... I was so pissed off I wanted to fight something lol .... but of course nothing came .. with me yelling for it to come at the top of my lungs ... after that I did not have many bad nightmares anymore ... But when I turned like 19 or 20 ... I am not sure the age for sure. But I started being able to control my dreams it is amazing it is almost like a play land for my imagination. It is kinda funny it reminds me of the matrix ... in my mind I can make anything happen... And whenever you realize that then you can really control them then you just have to work on it thin kabout it when your going to sleep make your mind dream off about something and make things random happen in your head and then thiws happens ... almost like when you were a little kid making up a story or something but make it wild and way off ... that is the only way that I can change it ... most of the time ... for some reason if there is someone chasing me in my dream I can fly off ... or run really fast or slow everything down ... but I can never like turn around and kill him or anythign liek that .. it is kinda wierd ... but anyways .. ttyl peace

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by parker
Make an appeal to your higher self and gurdian angel ask for their protection and help to take these thoughts away,kind of like praying a little.Repeat your request in a authoritative manner. you should get results. These are thoughts that are not your own, and are sometimes the result of an outside source. hope this helps
Parker [edit on 13-9-2004 by parker]

GREAT ADVICE !!!

as I do this nightly.... when I hit the pillow, I pray.... I thank God for my life and what has been given to me, I pray for the good will and good fortune of others and lastly for protection for me, my family and all others...

Only takes few minutes and before I know it, I'm feeling warm and comfy and ready for sleep !

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 11:41 AM
link   
Keeping a thought journal might be the answer.

Every night before you go to bed write down things you have still to do, maybe things you didnt finish off during the day. Also write down things that are troubling you and possible solutions. Keep it next to your bed so if you suddenly think of something else then you can scribble it down straight away.

Alot of people suffer from having an active brain before they go to sleep. It is a recognised condition but not alot can be done medicine wise.

Whatever you do tho, dont take pills for it or have lots of alcohol to get you to sleep. It just makes you feel worse and can start you on a slippery slope to something worse.

The thoughts youre having, even the violent ones are just part of an over active imagination and like someone said, the worries in your life, however small are manifesting themselves into violent things.

Again, it isnt anything to really worry about. I know a friend of mine had this problem so he turned those thoughts into postive energy and wrote a book at the weekends. He is now a published author.

Like I said, dont worry about it. Anxiety will only make you feel worse.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
If you are really ... honest with yourself, you can be helped. First what you need to do is find the person that you are spending the rest of your life with ... then when you do that, learn to trust them and know that they would never hurt you and would only try and help you. The reason that you must fin dhte person that you are going to spend the rest of your life with and someone you can fully lean on and really truthfully trust with your life. Is because that is the reason that you have ADD ... or ADHD ... my grilfriend ... has had a bipolar problem. Which started off being a Attention deffictite disorder. They started her off on Xanax ... then they moved her to a couple other drugs.

just to give you alittle background information on her.Her boyfriend of 4 years ... got into a car accident and was paralysed from the waste down. Then about a year afterwards she caught him cheating on her with another one of her best friends. After that she was never the same. Her momma said it messed her up in the head litteraly. And it was because the guy Micah was his name was the only person that she had intrusted her self to for about 4 years. He was her confidaunt if you will ... and when she had that taken from her, her heart subconciously told herself that she couldn't trust anyone. Her reasoning was there she had loved and lost and she never wanted to feel that pain again. Especially since that is the only time she has ever really talked to anyone. So that is what it is basically.

If any person with ADD ... opens up and talks about everything in thier head and doesn't simply keep it in.... **** THIS IS GOING TO BE VERY HARD ..... Since there personality is well .... THEY CONSIDER IT TO coincide with ADD .... but really just open up and talk about everything ... with someone .. and you will be EXELLENT ... you will realize that you don't have some stupid diasease that everyone puts a name on ADD .... NOW ALZHEIMERS is a diasease that it not mental ... Well it is mental ... but it is not solved just by talking ....

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Funny, I'm having the exact same problems... Not so much sadistic and such, but the thoughts do occur. I need at least 9 hours of sleep if im not to be grumpy the next day, and if I need to be fully rested, I need about 11 hours of sleep. Pretty annoying, but thats how I live.

Regarding the thoughts, its the exact same problem. As soon as my head touches my pillow, BOOM, I start thingking about everything and nothing. It doesnt even have to be small/big problems in my normal day life, as some suggests, but just about anything. The color of sand-grains, the meaning of life, etc. etc.

I can spend hours just speculating.. So annoying..

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Thanks for all the responses. Yeah I do suffer from depression and very minor anxiety. I have seen one about this before. I'm afriad there isn't much I can do about it. I've been told to consider medication for depression - anti-depressants. But, I would have to be monitored regularly, and many of my friends and family think I don't need it - I think I don't need it.

As for my sleep, I don't think my anxiety has much to do with it. To tell you the truth I believe it's something paranormal, that's why I posted here.

Here's why I think it's paranormal:

2yrs ago my uncle died from cancer. My family was very close to him and it was a very big loss. The year after my aunt's mum died from old age, who we were also close to. Both my uncle and my aunt's mum died the same month and day, but in differen't years and causes which was odd. After a few months, my aunt told my family strange events started happening at her house. Like flowers being put in a pot by itself etc. Then, my sister said one night she was watching TV and she started to fall asleep, the remote fell on the floor and broke into pieces. At this point she was half awake and decided not to get up pick up the pieces or turn off her TV. The next day, my sister woke up the TV had been turned off, the remote had been fixed and her covers were pulled neatly over her - she says that she usually kicks them off in her sleep. All of us were quite shocked and thought it was strange. Then during around 10PM at night I started seeing strange things. Like, a white ball of energy float through my room right past my bed, leaving a cold spot. I was getting freaked out by it, and I used to just freeze and not move until it went. It started getting to the point where I was getting bad nightmares about it and I told my mum about it one day when she was doing the cleaning. When I told my mum, her face was of no surprise. She went over and picked up a picture. To my surprise it appeared to be an old photo of my uncle in a party with something new being present. It was a picture of a ghost, exactly what I saw in bed. Though, in the picture I got a good look at it. I was able to see detail. It was a stretched ball of white light with a face. My mum claimed to resemble my great granddad.

As strange as it sounds, it must be linked somehow. And that is why I get freaked out. I'm not sure if it's evil or good or if it's just my fear towards it.

This light, used to visit 2-3 times a week. Now, it doesn't visit at all. When I'm depressed or upset about anything it appears to be present. When I'm getting bad dreams, it isn't. I don't really know what to say.

posted on Sep, 13 2004 @ 01:07 PM
link   
Also just to add, my dad has experienced paranormal things before. A long time ago when he was really young and was staying at an old house. An evil spirit lived there. Apparently it was the spirit of a grumpy old man who died of old age.

My dad said things started being moved and late at night he kept seeing a shadowy figure on the wall. He said lights in the house would flicker and the whole house temperature would drop. People say spirits can't harm you right? wrong. My dad was physically harmed. This spirit threw things at my dad and beat him. My dad claims the spirit was invisible, but the spirit was fist fighting my dad. My dad was beaten in the ribs by the spirit and thrown around the house. At one point, the spirit entered my dads body to try and take over him. My dad says that with a miracle he was able to throw the spirit out of his body.

My dad being him, still refused to leave after the incident. Over the next couple of days when things settled down, he got someone to exorcise the house and eventually moved out. That's as far as I know. He wouldn't tell me anymore.

[edit on 13-9-2004 by Thao]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join