It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What if Romney picks Rand Paul as VP mate?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
(Sorry if this is the wrong forum, mods)

If Mitt wins the nominee they might have to make Rand his vp just so they can capture the Ron Paul voters and independents.

This statement happened on a discussion earlier today and it got me thinking. I'd want others to talk on it on their own opinion.

In my opinion, I never thought of it, but it makes damn good sense.

It's just so unusual of a thought though. I mean, has Ron Paul attacked Romney that much? I forget. And it's turning out that Rand Paul is making his move for 2016, as Ron will be retiring after this. And Ron himself is a bit too old to be more than a party moderator, though I would live it if he won.

Thing is, the neocons are dying. So....Is Romney a Neocon? I'm not so sure if the public neocons are attacking him. Are his nefarious backers all that cut off from the idea however?

A Romney-Rand band would just about propel enough force to win.

But it's so strange. The union of liberty and corporate hegemony. I almost don't want to think it possible, but if Romney wants to win, does he really have any other choice? Can he hope to gain much beyond 40% of the vote without the Paul followers behind him?

This is strange. And personally I don't think it's out of the question, but just that. Strange. It sort of just throws everything up in the air.

I think this is the only possible way for the republicans to win, otherwise Rand will likely run in 2016 and that will really be a game changer for the GOP.

Anyway, enough from me. Thoughts?

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Ummmm...perhaps he could just make Ron Paul his running mate and capture Ron Paul's votes the easy way.

Surely this wasn't an ATS person that gave you this idea.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAH!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

Rand would never agree to it.

Rand is like his father, uncorruptible and ideologically driven to be where he is.

Romney is running for the presidency because he wants the money and power that comes with it.

A Romney / Rand ticket would be about as likely as an Obama / DeMint ticket.

link   
You don't really think Rand would buy into this crap, do you

I think a better idea for Rand placement, would be as running mate to his Dad.

A Paul, Paul ticket...

link   
reply to post by NightGypsy

That's the thing. Ron Paul and Romney would make more sense, but voter wise, but Ron has no plans to do anything but retire after 2012. Rand would continue his work after the VP, maybe run as President and continue whatever he starts.

No, the idea wasn't on ATS. It was just a strange statement that made me think, is all.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

reply to post by mnemeth1

Not every P-VP ticket is for friendlies and smiles. Sometimes it's between two enemies who have to work together for victory.

Fact is Romney does want money and power. But he can't get it without sacrificing something to get more votes.

And we have no idea what would happen. Men who make sacrifices to gain power also end up being under control of the people whom they made sacrifices for. Be that a corporation, or an ideology.

I don't think it's a good idea. I just want to know what others think of the idea. More so. What would it be like if it happened...and they won.
edit on 13-1-2012 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

Rand Paul would never agree to such a proposal.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

I think that's obvious. But how can the GOP win then?

Surely they realize sacrifices have to be made to win. Not so much the Pauls as the rest of the GOP.

Way I see it, there's only three ways this can play out:

One of the Pauls gets the VP in order to break a deal with their supporters.

GOP ignores the Pauls, looses, and opens the way for Rand to more or less win in 2016.

the Pauls make their own party this year and it's a free for all, but that makes Rand's own political career murky at best. Political clothing changing is never good in the long run if you are young.

And then of course. The crazy but one we all hope for but secretly think its impossible. Ron and Rand win the GOP nomination. That is the ideal. But my apathy tells me the ideal rarely ever gets to play out.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I don't want Romney anywhere NEAR the whitehouse. If Mitt Romney chose Rand as a VP (Won't happen) I'd still vote Ron Paul. Ron Paul will be getting my vote, guaranteed, not a chance of it going to anyone else. Nothing about Romney attracts me in any way to vote for him.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   
reply to post by The_Zomar

And that is my point I guess. How much of his power and wealth desires will he give up to get power and wealth?

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91
If Mitt wins the nominee they might have to make Rand his vp just so they can capture the Ron Paul voters and independents.

edit on 13/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: Fixed quote

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

What if Romney picks Rand Paul as VP mate

He won't. I bet a box of donuts he'll pick Chris Christie. When Gov. Christie gave Romney his endorsement (after turning down a run of his own that was being pushed by Bush43 etc) ... Romney was asked about a Chris Christy VP slot and Romney said that Christy 'was on everyone's short list for VP'.

My bet - Chris Christy.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Romney will never be President. The MSM media wants us to believe that because he won only 2 primaries that he is the front runner. Before things even started the MSM blantantly showed him as the front runner, they did the same with Rick Perry.

If the MSM said the "deserved" good things about Ron Paul as they have the other clowns, Ron PAul would be having 60% results. Without MSM saying positive things, he is doing fantastic. As the GOP primaries move south and west, you will see Romney falling into 2nd & 3rd place with Ron Paul staying at 2nd and going to 1st.

It will be a volley. But, Romney isn't the one to beat Obama. Obama is a contitutional expert, yet he defiles it. The only candidate that can beat Obama is Ron Paul, the only GOP constituional expert, who holds it's very foundation as sacred. In a debate with Obama, Ron Paul will destroy Obama on Constitutional basis alone. Let's hear Obama defend NDAA & SOPA!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by AnswerSeeker2012

I think that TPTB plan is to have Romney win the Republican nomination...run against President Obama...and lose.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by caladonea

That's suicide for them. It lines up for a Rand Paul presidency in 2016.

And I don't see how they control elections really. If they did, the republican party wouldn't be cut into three disunited factions right now that threaten to destroy the neocons's gravy train.

top topics

join