It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dangerous Tension With Iran: US warns of military action over Strait of Hormuz

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
Iraq presented itself to the world as being in possession of those kinds of weapons. History shows that they did use them against Iran. So, there is precedent.

ALLL RIGHTY THEN....those would be the SAME wmd's that the US and the UK knew DID'NT ACTUALLY EXIST BUT WERE DECIDED THAT A REGIME CHANGE IN IRAQ WAS NECESSARY...so they would invade anyway.

READ MORE IN WIKI: A SHORT CLIP BELOW
The memo recorded the head of the Secret Intelligence Service (MI6) as expressing the view following his recent visit to Washington that "[George W.] Bush wanted to remove Saddam Hussein, through military action, justified by the conjunction of terrorism and WMD. But the intelligence and facts were being fixed around the policy." It also quoted Foreign Secretary Jack Straw as saying that it was clear that Bush had "made up his mind" to take military action but that "the case was thin", and the Attorney-General Lord Goldsmith as warning that justifying the invasion on legal grounds would be difficult. However, the meeting took place several months before the adoption of United Nations Security Council Resolution 1441, the resolution eventually used as the legal basis for the invasion of Iraq.

edit on 13-1-2012 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by micmerci
reply to post by Salamandy

Speed is the essence of war. Take advantage of the enemy's unpreparedness; travel by unexpected routes and strike him where he has taken no precautions.

This has gone way beyond a few people chanting. If we just sit back and wait we will become incapable of stopping Iran's nuclear ambitions.

Although I wish a military strike could be avoided, I prefer a precision strike early over standing idly by while our enemy advances militarily.

True, but you also must define speed and unpreparedness...

You can always say,

"We bombed 'em because they would have had a nuke sometime in the next twenty years anyways... Better to do it now."

Tis a slippery slope you tread upon...

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by YouAreLiedTo

You are correct. Despite the warmonger comments, I do wish this could be resolved peacefully. It is, in fact a slippery slope. However, I would rather err on the side of caution than try to wait until we are at a disadvantage.

The reality is, that Iran and the U.S. are enemies, which is deduced from the fact that we are not allies or neutrally positioned. The arguments of "who started it" will continue forever. That should not be the focus of the debate. We are presently enemies and that has to be the reference frame by which our military addresses the situation.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

You are correct. Despite the warmonger comments, I do wish this could be resolved peacefully. It is, in fact a slippery slope. However, I would rather err on the side of caution than try to wait until we are at a disadvantage.

The reality is, that Iran and the U.S. are enemies, which is deduced from the fact that we are not allies or neutrally positioned. The arguments of "who started it" will continue forever. That should not be the focus of the debate. We are presently enemies and that has to be the reference frame by which our military addresses the situation.

Or, we could send a few buses of college kids over there with a backpack full of hookahs and show the world that we aren't so different...

Have you actually seen the young culture they have over there?

We share a lot more in common then the world would have you believe.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   

That would be great!! I grew up in a section of Brooklyn.NY that was primarily Italian but there was a Middle Eastern culture as well. Some of my best friends were Iranian, Syrian, and Lebanese. At 18 I went into the military and ended up in Beirut. Honestly, it looked like my neighborhood back home.

It is obvious from recent videos that there are some war hungry people in our military but I believe, from experience that the majority of our soldiers do not want to be killing middle eastern people. I believe they would much rather sit down and share a hookah, given the chance.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   
When you see stupid comments like this you make your blood boil.

jjcrocket New Britain, Conn.
It is long past due that we punish Iranian Revolutionary Guards and their offspring and leaders. For 33 years we have have been way too polite as Iran has caused international problems and killed millions. Shock and Awe is the immediate answer!!

edit on 13-1-2012 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

I agree with you. There is no reason to bring innocents into this affair (offspring). This represents the same mentality as those that shout death to America.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Today's enemy could be tomorrow's friend, and equally true vice versa. It's only a geopolitical reality. When national self interest coincide or clash with others, that's when realities of 'political friendships' come into view.

This clash in the Hormuz strait can be avoided. Only pride is in the way from the Iranian Supreme Leader. He made those stupid threats when it was unnecesary. No ONE wants war, except him.

China needs the oil. India needs the oil. Bankrupt EU needs the oil credit so that it can fool its own citizens. Other nations needs the oil for legitimate uses. Because of those nations'self interests, and not for humanity's sake which is to bring that idiotic Iranian Supreme Leader to the negotiation table for nuke proliferation talks, those nations are unlikely to vote for sanctions, not because they support that turban headed Iranian infidel leader.

America stands alone with sanctions and for humanity's sake, will not do biz with that iranian infidel leader. Today, mankind knows whom are their true allies. So be it. If the iranian citizens willingly allow their mineral resources to be given away free - to EU on bankrupt credit, or cheaply to China so that China can flood Iran with junk and contaminated food/products, and to others, it is only the free will of the Iranian masses.

Many of the Arab States had long known what the persian infidel leader whom had been masquerading as a muslim, had been up to for years. No muslim, espacially a spritual leader, would order Jihad upon innocents. Jihad is a right of all mankind, not just Islam, but it is only invoked when attacked upon in times of declared war.

But that persian infidel leader had long ordered for the deaths of innocents - even upon muslims, to pit shias against sunnis, and them against the rest of mankind for years, destabilizing nations to acheive unity, not for Islam, but only for his and his heirs or selected personnel's glory of yet again persian domination.

He cares not a wit whatever the masses wishes to believe, and pays only lip service to whatever is place before him so long as it does not threaten his rule. He only seeks to be god on earth.

Power corrupts absolutely, a truism that the good prophet Muhammad understood and thus left no heirs or leader in place, despite having all the time to do so. He wanted each muslim to use free will and teachings to guide their own conscience and contribute to society, not the flawed monarchial system that he was sent to eradicate in Arabia.

Israel is only a means to achieve the persian infidel leader's domination through the misuse of religion, inciting hatred and getting rid of Israel is only the first step.

The next step would be to get rid of the arab states leaders through destabization efforts. With the middle east in control, wiping out the rest of mankind will be easy. China and Russia are most certainly godless nations, for they worship no gods. India is an idolatory nation, with far too many gods. Already, his funded terrorists are in those countries causing mayhem - xinjiang china, breakaway states in russia, violent bombings in India.

Thus, if other nations and the people are still sleeping, or refuses to fact up to reality, it is only their free will and have to face the consequences one day soon. Let it not be said that a true friend that America is, had not tried to bring sense to the world.
edit on 13-1-2012 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101

America stands alone with sanctions and for humanity's sake, will not do biz with that iranian infidel leader. Today, mankind knows whom are their true allies. So be it. If the iranian citizens willingly allow their mineral resources to be given away free - to EU on bankrupt credit, or cheaply to China so that China can flood Iran with junk and contaminated food/products, and to others, it is only the free will of the Iranian masses.

Thus, if other nations and the people are still sleeping, or refuses to fact up to reality, it is only their free will and have to face the consequences one day soon. Let it not be said that a true friend that America is, had not tried to bring sense to the world.

How about this... American troops stay in America where they belong... With their families and defending their borders from enemies, both foreign and domestic.

How about the world stops trying to tell each other how to live their lives and just learn to coexist.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by YouAreLiedTo

How about this... American troops stay in America where they belong... With their families and defending their borders from enemies, both foreign and domestic.

How about the world stops trying to tell each other how to live their lives and just learn to coexist.

THen please tell that to the turban headed persian infidel leader. If he had not threatened to close the strait that he does not own, americans would not have to sail thousands of miles to ensure that strait remain open for the rest of humanity.

Amercians could have easily be isolationists as their dependence on iranian oil is minimal and now nothing, but that's not how USA prospered - by being selfish like many others. Trade is the lifeblood of the world. If USA being a superpower cares not, then it will only suffer in the end with everyone in this world we all share.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:53 PM
link   
double post

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:03 PM
link   

And all this talk of nuclear response if an American carrier is sunk (which BTW is almost impossible for Iran to accomplish) is a bunch of ignorant crap.

Even still, if they are in the Straight of Hormuz attacking a carrier with the intent to sink it there would be a dumb idea for everyone, cut off your nose to spite your face. Considering that the straight is on average 160 feet deep. A carrier from keel to mast is around 244 feet. Now, if by chance a carrier is sunk in the straight then there is a good possibility that sinking it could likely close the straight for anyone to use. Then, not to mention the radiation that would be released right in Irans backyard.

I wish I could find my picture of a school of dolphins running with us as we were going across the pond on a deployment, pretty cool.

Here are some technical facts for modern carriers:
Aircraft Carrier Specs
edit on 13-1-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

edit on 13-1-2012 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by WiseThinker

Originally posted by bluedrake
So a question to everyone on here.

Iran posses NO threat to US soil, NONE what so ever.

They do not have ICBM's
And they could NEVER get a army to US

A terrorist attack blamed on Iran is very likely however in my opinion, though it will be a False Flag attack, that they blame on Iran so they can start the war, and justify the blookbath it will be.

That is very naive of you to make that statement. Iran has a lot of Hezbollah and Hamas groups in the U.S. raising money for their cause, the only reason they haven't attacked us yet is that they know the U.S. would round them up here and then help Israel wipe them out completely so it does them no good to attack us now.

This is the number one thing that worries the U.S. and the FBI has been trying like hell to find them all, Supposedly. If Iran is attacked then you can bet terrorist come out of the woodwork in the U.S. and try to make this place look like Iraq.

Problem with that is, every American with a gun will start hunting them down and that will be bad for all Arabs and I am sure some black people will be confused with them and all hell will break lose.

I pray for peace but if they want to fight lets give them one they will never forget. I know the U.S. government is no Angel but Iran's is very very evil, they will sacrifice half their country or more to wipe out Israel or the U.S.

If you think that is not true then just look at how they are acting. Any peace loving government would sit down and talk things out just like we did with the Russians, HELLO!!!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
AS time passes and we learn about the Zionist core of US government , it is more clear for me how US is trying to play it's dirty games.

They are too retarded that are planning it like old days , like the crusade.

When the Christians where joining army to avoid hunger and to support their family.

But , guess what.

In middle east lies all the resources of energy and that is why they can stand and fight those invaders back.

They don't fight to avoid hunger , but they fight to save their future.

BTW , read the news about assassinated scientist inside Iran.

The scientist who wanted to make a better future for his people.

There are rich people in west who play western people easily. They are the ones who decide who should be rich and who should be poor.

And they are the ones who decide to make more poor as they need.
edit on 13/1/12 by hmdphantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Logman

But I'm sure you can't wait to watch a new war on CNN with your 300lb behind parked on an armchair, eating 3 large pizzas.

Youre rather rude...and obnoxious.

What does your post have to do with the OP at all? Youre accusing people of being fat while everyone else is trying to talk about the tensions between the U.S. and Iran. Did your parents never teach you what manners were? Doesn't seem like it...

Haters

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   

Please, please, please, remember the Gulf of Tonkin 1964.
From the New York Times
Historians said the transcripts, which are filled with venting by the senators about the Johnson administration and frustrations over their own ineffectiveness, added little new to the historical record. Even at the time, there was widespread skepticism about the Gulf of Tonkin incident, in which the North Vietnamese were said to have attacked American destroyers on Aug. 4, 1964, two days after an earlier clash.

President Lyndon B. Johnson cited the attacks to persuade Congress to authorize broad military action in Vietnam, but historians in recent years have concluded that the Aug. 4 attack never happened.

Still, the transcripts show the outrage the senators were expressing behind closed doors. “In a democracy you cannot expect the people, whose sons are being killed and who will be killed, to exercise their judgment if the truth is concealed from them,” Senator Frank Church, Democrat of Idaho, said in an executive session in February 1968.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Salamandy
I am American. The vast majority of civilized adults in my country are not war mongering ignoramuses. Obama and irresponsible journalists alike cannot think past the mentality of children on a playground intent on using physical vilolence to get there way. I guess its time again to justify the idea that we need a grand military complex.
i apologize to all freedom loving, kind natured people of the world.
Unfortunatly for us, there is too much money to be made by killing men woman and chldren in cold blood.

The necessity of defending American lives and property extend past our convenient immediate borders. While you and other peace loving Americans will gladly lay down your arms, many of us are not so inclined. While we believe in peace in the World, we purchase peace with strength, blood, and courage. No need to apologize. They are not listening. Given the opportunity, they may well put a bullet through your apologetic mouth.

The unfortunate collateral damage of killing women and children is occurring because of the cowardice of the enemy, who hides behind and among his civilian populace. We take the war to the zone of conflict. If they retreat into their families by day, we will follow them and kill them. If they don't like the deaths of their women and children, let them come out and fight. We like a fair fight. Let the cowards come forth and stand for their beliefs on the field of battle, or let them stay home with their families.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join