It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The new "bit"... IBM shatter's Moore's Law. New era of quantum computing has arrived!

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
I wonder what the mix of this tech plus the carbon atom s double bonded in sheets one atom thick....forget the name of it but it may integrate with this tech...It is a room temp super conductor among other things.....

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellhound604
technology never stops .... I can remember having my first hard drive, 5MB, 5.25 inches, full height, and I thought that was the pinnacle of technology. (that was about 30 years ago). Now I have 30TB distributed in my house, heck, I don't want to know what we will have 30 from now

The first HD i ever purchased was 64MB, but the first HD i worked with was 20MB.

Today, when you download a graphics driver, the driver alone is 164MB.

Sometimes i wish i can go back in time and tell myself...and say like "you would need 8 HDs *just* for downloading the driver..and then another 8 if you want to extract the archive"

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Is it possible that everything is lining up for McKenna's time wave zero theory to act itself out as he predicted? Infinite novelty December 21, 2012? Perhaps the factor that will cause this will be technological singularity. Probably not but still kinda creepy to think about.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123

Originally posted by Hellhound604
technology never stops .... I can remember having my first hard drive, 5MB, 5.25 inches, full height, and I thought that was the pinnacle of technology. (that was about 30 years ago). Now I have 30TB distributed in my house, heck, I don't want to know what we will have 30 from now

The first HD i ever purchased was 64MB, but the first HD i worked with was 20MB.

Today, when you download a graphics driver, the driver alone is 164MB.

Sometimes i wish i can go back in time and tell myself...and say like "you would need 8 HDs *just* for downloading the driver..and then another 8 if you want to extract the archive"

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Epirus

I wish I could give you more than one star just for finding that video...

God ### I feel old now...

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
People keep saying that things like this
make a computer nearer to the human brain.
but it is just empty storage space.

you need to have really good soft ware.
we could do it now!
we just need the hacking nerds to make a program.

start with the AI’s from games.
and use the way computer viruses work
to make them grow.

it needs a way to grow and to make the program simple.
but you have to be very careful with the way you teach it.
we can Not even teach are children...

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 01:59 AM
link   
This thread should burn in a lake of fire. Not for the story, but for the ignorance and off-topic speculation.
This gets us no closer to artificial A.I., quantum computing, the end of the world, or any sort of conspiracy.

I agree that it is amazing how far we have come, but at least now I know not to turn to ATS for opinions on science.

Edit: it should also burn for the sensationalist title.
edit on 1/14/2012 by MeesterB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by MeesterB
This thread should burn in a lake of fire. Not for the story, but for the ignorance and off-topic speculation.
This gets us no closer to artificial A.I., quantum computing, the end of the world, or any sort of conspiracy.

I agree that it is amazing how far we have come, but at least now I know not to turn to ATS for opinions on science.

Edit: it should also burn for the sensationalist title.

For the title? The only place to go from here is QBit quantum computing...

It physically is impossible to get any smaller at this point with the way magnetic charges work...

Anything past this will be in the field of quantum computations...

How is this sensationalized?

And don't even start with the mention of Moore's Law... That has been covered.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 02:39 AM
link   
reply to post by YouAreLiedTo

The title suggest that the 12 iron atom arrangement is a step towards quantum computing, which it isn't.
my god.... never mind. I'm over it.
continue.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by MeesterB

The title suggest that the 12 iron atom arrangement is a step towards quantum computing, which it isn't.
my god.... never mind. I'm over it.
continue.

It isn't?

So shrinking the memory print by 84,000 TIMES is not a step towards it?

So you are saying that physical terms we have not hit the threshold of quantum computations?

Please... Refer to this thread in 5 years.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:17 AM
link   

I'm just repeating what the paper says, that they have reached the limit of CLASSICAL mechanics. That is, how small you can get before quantum mechanics start to take effect. It has nothing to do with quantum mechanics except for the fact that it DOESN'T rely on those mechanics.

Edit: you would be right if the title said something about a new break-through in nano-electronics, but it doesn't.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   

If you simulate the human brain, you simulate the infinite on a finite platform.

Unforeseeable consequences of that,

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:23 AM
link   
That's great.

We need to conserve atoms.

Atoms don't grow on trees ya know...

I remember when 64k was a big deal. The computer I worked on in the Navy was the UYK-20. They probably still use it. It had a iron core memory. Little tiny magnetic rings of metal with wires running through. The actual memory was the size of a lunch box, 32k I think.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

If you simulate the human brain, you simulate the infinite on a finite platform.

Unforeseeable consequences of that,

Deep Blue was an IBM chess program that could calculate moves faster and farther in advance then the most well-commemorative chess player in history...

And that was in the 1990's...

Don't think humans are the peak of evolution... That is a known fallacy due to evolution...

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:36 AM
link   
meesters point is that it isnt quantum computing, its a magnetic storage device, just like hard drives, floppy disks, and cassette tapes.

what they did here was create the densest magnetic storage medium possible. all of that information is within the first sentence of the op's article, its very explicitly worded to that effect.

which probably explains his frustration.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:14 AM
link   
This is an incredible technological achievement, but I do think we are seeing longer and longer time periods for many of the latest advances to reach the actual consumer. There's a big difference between knowing how and mass manufacture.

Or is my impatience just growing exponentially to advances in technology.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:17 AM
link   
reply to post by casenately

It concerns me because we hear about greys and how their civilizations are mirrors of what our civilization will one day resemble.

Didn't mean to step off topic there but I'm not sure that merging computers and biology is a good idea unless it's thoroughly researched and tested before mass implementation.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 06:16 AM
link   

Misleading post title but I hear you.

Will definitely pave the way for Quantum computing as they could possibly have a viable medium to use now (both for storage and computation).

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Sword
reply to post by casenately

It concerns me because we hear about greys and how their civilizations are mirrors of what our civilization will one day resemble.

Didn't mean to step off topic there but I'm not sure that merging computers and biology is a good idea unless it's thoroughly researched and tested before mass implementation.

Computer Science is just a reflection of our thoughts, by that I mean it took someone (or a bunch of people) to think up ideas and then make those ideas into reality from the humble valve and switch based machines to the advanced micro processors we have today.

But I know what you're saying, there is a danger that we will become reliant and at some point, subservient to this very technology that we have created (we are already distracted by the plethora of hardware and software out there integrating and exposing our lives).

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 06:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Epirus
Is it possible that everything is lining up for McKenna's time wave zero theory to act itself out as he predicted? Infinite novelty December 21, 2012? Perhaps the factor that will cause this will be technological singularity. Probably not but still kinda creepy to think about.

Not sure such an event would be possible right now, there is just too much disparity between technologies and software (I am a software engineer by trade).

However this does not mean there is technology in the hands of more powerful groups that is far in advance of what we have and is more synchronised i.e. the factor between machine > software > human is reduced.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join