It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Zardari flees amid Pakistan coup scenario

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   

Fears of a coup in Pakistan have heightened as President Zardari leaves the country for a ‘scheduled one-day trip’ after the military chief meets top commanders amid a widening rift between the army and the government. The US says they have not received any assurances that the Pakistani army will not stage a coup.

Pakistani President Asif Ali Zardari left for Dubai yesterday for a “scheduled one-day trip” as Pakistan’s military chief met top commanders yesterday amid a widening rift between the powerful armed forces and the civilian government.

“This trip will be for a follow-up medical check-up and then he’ll be returning right away,” an associate of Zardari said. However, a senior member of the ruling Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) said Zardari had left Pakistan to attend a wedding in Dubai.

Early last month, Zardari went to Dubai for medical treatment, which triggered speculation the leader was pushed out by the army or was fleeing a potential coup.

Meanwhile, Pakistan’s military chief was meeting top commanders, media reports and a military officer said, fueling speculation about the army’s next move. Military spokesman Maj. Muhammad Ali Diyal declined to say what the talks at army headquarters were about, but the meeting is likely to fuel speculation about the army’s next move in the country’s political and legal crisis.

(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 13-1-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:47 AM
link   
I think we all saw this one coming down the pipeline for some time now. Mushariff, should he step foot on Pakistan soil, will be arrested, the current PM has left the country, and I doubt its only going to be for one day.

I think the death of Bin Laden, which exposed a lot of intelligence and military officals inside Pakistan who were harboring him, was the straw that broke the camels back.

No guarantees from the Pakistni army that there will not be a coup? My wager is a new military government by this weekend.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Message from Mr. Asif Ali Zardari
President Islamic Republic of Pakistan
(On the fourth Martyrdom Anniversary of Shaheed Mohtarma
Benazir Bhutto Dec 27, 2011)
Islamabad: December 26, 2011

www.pid.gov.pk/president and pm messages on the forth martyrdom anniversary of shaheed mohtarma benazir bhutto.htm

(...)

Her assassination was a conspiracy to rid the world of its best weapon to combat international violent extremism. It was a conspiracy to rob Pakistan of its best hope to establish a fully functional democracy. The government is determined to expose and punish in accordance with the law the conspirators and perpetrators of the crime. They can not and will not go unpunished.

On this occasion I wish to emphasize that those who assassinated her may have succeeded in eliminating her physically but the ideas and ideals of Shaheed Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto shall never be killed. Let there be no doubt or mistake about it.

Today we pay tributes to her. The best way to do it is to defend and protect democracy and democratic institutions in the country and foil all conspiracies against it.

Let us on this day rededicate ourselves to the democratic mission of Shaheed Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto whose life was dedicated to fighting dictatorship and those seeking to defame and dismantle democratic institutions. I therefore urge all the democratic forces and the patriotic Pakistanis to foil all conspiracies against democracy and democratic institutions.

May the soul of Shaheed Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto and that of all martyrs who laid down their lives for the cause, rest in eternal peace.

(...)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

I think we all saw this one coming down the pipeline for some time now.

Yes it was coming down the "TRANS AFGHANISTAN PIPELINE" all the way from the Caspian Sea to India.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by andy1972

You do understand if there is a coup in Pakistan they arent going to be friends of the US right?

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:03 AM
link   

You do understand if there is a coup in Pakistan they arent going to be friends of the US right?

How soon do they OUTRIGHT ally with Iran or China?

How soon do Pakistani boots go into Afghanistan,or disputed border areas around India's border?

How safe is their Nuclear arsenal,and how soon does something get smuggled out of that country?

edit on 13-1-2012 by sonnny1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:04 AM
link   
The Pakistani military will not take control. They key people thinking about it are being followed and will be killed the second they try to do such. Pakistan's no longer their own country.

I bet their nuclear weapons have already disappeared. Their military hardware sabotaged. They gave in to greed and accepted money to allow people/countries into Pakistan they never should have let in. Now Israel can launch a missile from Pakistan into India and the Indians will think Pakistan attacked them....India will run them over like a freight train while US/Israel sit back and laugh.

Pakistan's own greed kill them.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:06 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Good questions..

Call them and ask -

Embassy of Pakistan, Washington D.C
3517 International Court NW

Washington, DC 20008.

PH. (202)243-6500, FAX: 202-686-1534

EMAIL: [email protected]

CONSULAR SECTION EMAIL: [email protected]

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:18 AM
link   
If the army stages a coup, there will probably be big riots in Pakistan... hopefully leading to Pakistan back to a real democracy where the military is not as powerful and corrupt... but the chances of that happening are slim.

Worst case, it could plunge the country into civil war.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Thats OK,

For some reason I dont think I would get a straight answer.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I agree.

Im worried about that Nuclear arsenal though.

All it takes is some rouge Extremist Commander/General.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by sonnny1

How soon do they OUTRIGHT ally with Iran or China?

How soon do Pakistani boots go into Afghanistan,or disputed border areas around India's border?

How safe is their Nuclear arsenal,and how soon does something get smuggled out of that country?

How soon does something like that get smuggled out of the country all depends on when the next CIA controlled puppet on a string takes power in Pakistan.

Now's the moment for the CIA to fill the vacum left by Zardari's "flight".

Are there any Pakistanis working for Halliburton to fill the vacancy??

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   

I don't think anyone in Pakistan is feeling US friendly of late. Too many drone attacks killing innocents. But i doubt the military will stage a coup, nobody actually wants that.

There is change coming, but i think that it will be a little more civilised than before, the army is not popular enough to act unilaterally, and they know that.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:27 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I agree.

Im worried about that Nuclear arsenal though.

All it takes is some rouge Extremist Commander/General.

Well the generals are already backing several terrorist groups and have been for decades. Supporting terrorists groups and giving them nukes is a step I think no general is insane enough to take.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Well the generals are already backing several terrorist groups and have been for decades. Supporting terrorists groups and giving them nukes is a step I think no general is insane enough to take.

The general's, the ISI and the state back's terrorists groups.

Al Qaeda threatend Europe with nuclear holocaust if they nailed Bin Laden.

To keep up the momento of the "fight against global terrorism" they need reason's, like 9/11, like 7/7 etc etc.

We're about due another scare, so Pakistans change of government will end in the loss of a nuke which will end up in the hands of Al Qaeda, giving TPTB all the reason they need for years more of security restrictions.
edit on 13-1-2012 by andy1972 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:40 AM
link   

We're about due another scare, so Pakistans change of government will end in the loss of a nuke which will end up in the hands of Al Qaeda, giving TPTB all the reason they need for years more security restrictions.

Could very well be.

I hope not otherwise it'll be hell.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   
Is Musharraf returning to take back his government?

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Throwback
Is Musharraf returning to take back his government?

Well there's a warrant for his arrest if he sets foot in Pakistan....

Musharraf to be arrested from the airport on his return: Prosecutor

Musharraf had earlier been declared a proclaimed offender by the Anti-Terrorism Court in Rawalpindi for his failure to cooperate with investigators in the case.

The senior prosecutor said that three important pieces of evidence had also been retrieved after the forensic report of Benazir’s BlackBerry had been completed. He said that the evidence had also been added to the charge sheet.

So... if there's any justice, Musharraf will hang for the murder of Bhutto.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

Unless the military takes control and welcomes him back with open arms?

@ Vitchillo - The nukes are a top concern. Supposedly the US and some other countries have plans in place to secure those items should things go to hell in a hand basket.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   

@ Vitchillo - The nukes are a top concern. Supposedly the US and some other countries have plans in place to secure those items should things go to hell in a hand basket.

Yup, they'll hide them in Tora Bora...in Bin Ladens penthouse.

Musharraf was / is a whistleblower. He blew the lid off Omar sheikh's connection with the ISI / MI6 / CIA.
He wont be welcome as he cant be trusted.

“From 1992 to 1995,” according to The Spectator, “the Pentagon assisted with the movement of thousands of mujahadeen and other Islamic elements from Central Asia into Europe, to fight alongside Bosnian Muslims against the Serbs. … In the late 1990s, in the run-up to Clinton's and Blair's Kosovo war of 1999, the USA backed the [Osama bin Laden-linked] Kosovo Liberation Army against Serbia. … It seems that, for all its hand-wringing, the USA just couldn't break the pact with the devil"

Since the 80's the CIA and MI6 have used Pakistan as a kick off point and base of training and operations for its covert actions involving muslim extremist groups.
The intelligence services need Pakistan for its strategic importance.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join