It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. slaps sanctions on China state energy trader over Iran

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:27 PM
link   
U.S. slaps sanctions on China state energy trader over Iran

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The United States on Thursday imposed sanctions on China's state-run Zhuhai Zhenrong Corp, which it said was Iran's largest supplier of refined petroleum products, as it sought to impress on Beijing and Tehran its resolve to increase economic pressure over Iran's nuclear program.

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton also imposed sanctions on Singapore's Kuo Oil Pte Ltd and FAL Oil Company Ltd, an independent energy trader based in the United Arab Emirates, the State Department said in a notice.

The State Department said the move was part of a broadening international effort to target Iran's energy sector and persuade Tehran to rein in its nuclear ambitions.

"The sanctions announced today are an important step toward that goal, as they target the individual companies that help Iran evade these efforts," the statement said.

The sanction bar all three companies from receiving U.S. export licenses, U.S. Export Import Bank financing or loans over $10 million from U.S. financial institutions, the department said, stressing that the sanctions apply only to the companies and not to their governments or countries.

The U.S. announced the decision after China's rebuff this week of Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner, who traveled to Beijing to press China on U.S. demands it do more to help curb Iran's oil revenues.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
I certainly didnt see this one coming. Sanctions on 2 Chinese companies that do petroleum business with Iran. I am curious what the Chinese reaction is going to be, what type of issues this action is going to raise, and where we go from here.

I always thought we should have stood up to the Chinese a long time ago, so I guess late is better than never.

I dont know if Obama is acting incredibly stupid, or if he just found his backbone.
edit on 12-1-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Seriously, is there no one in this world that the US does not want to go to war with?

Yes nothing might come of this but why on earth would you create unnecessary conflict with another super power. China does not have to bow down to the US and I hope the US does not have to find that out the hard way.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

For some reason I don't see this on the front page of reuters... lol, If the USA is going to impose sanctions on everyone, I would think, pretty soon, they'll find themselves rather isolated. Didn't expect this rather dumb move.....

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Well this is kinda funny. Harper is going to China to talk about trading more oil with them:

Harper has spoken openly of looking more to Asia to expand trade, in particular for Canadian energy. A decision by U.S. President Barack Obama to delay approval for a major pipeline expansion through the country led to Harper talk about finding other customers for Canadian oil.

www.cbc.ca...

Says he's going next month.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
seems like the beginning of the end to me, china and its 200 million man army , marching to the middle east, revelations and all that good stuff. seems like people aren't fulfilling prophecies but making them happen by choice

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by bluedrake

America might have to have a war to preserve it in its present form???, We can say if Chinese intentions are peacefull then why are they increasing their millitary ,but lets face it Americas millitary is massive.The joke is that if China just kept going the way it is by depleating the finacial reserves of its main trading partner, America would be so insolvent , as to be a basket case. China is now dumping The dollar and changing it into Gold as fast as they can. Because they play the long game.They are setting up the Renumbi,to compete with the dollar.But who's idea was it to move plant and machinery to China and do business with a regime with poor human rights record and cheap labour in the first place?...I think it started with the greed is good brigade back in the eighties with tricky Dickey.Anyway its far to late now, i predict that China will do a flip on protecting iran...Which will mean America will be tied up with yet another unwinable war, which will further drain its recources.Unless they can have a war with China where winner takes all, ie all debts forgiven in a future amnesty because of war costs etc...Call me stupid but i can't for the life of me see any way out of the current global mess.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Cool, now maybe China will stop trading with that evil ruled country!
Then they will have to make jobs and create things and the US will have jobs again.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by g146541
Cool, now maybe China will stop trading with that evil ruled country!
Then they will have to make jobs and create things and the US will have jobs again.

Sounds like a good plan to me.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra

I always thought we should have stood up to the Chinese a long time ago, so I guess late is better than never.

Huh?? Maybe its time that someone stood up to the USA! Ever thought of that??? World police strike again.
edit on 13/1/2012 by waveydavey because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by waveydavey

Huh?? Maybe its time that someone stood up to the USA AND the UK
Ever thought of that???

FIXED YOUR POST

edit on 1/13/2012 by BLKMJK because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/13/2012 by 12m8keall2c because: errant bbcode

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by BLKMJK

Haha, yes fair play, your right!!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:40 AM
link   
reply to post by BLKMJK

But for the UK it won't be China, since China still appears to be trying to woo the UK
Most probably so it can sit and watch the Eurozone crash and then move in to pick over what it wants at a discount rate (as it already has with the UK
)

ETA: on Topic.. I wonder if these companies do any trade with the US? since it appears to me these kinds of games run like that, appearing one thing when they are really another..
edit on 13/1/12 by thoughtsfull because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   

reply to post by BLKMJK

Haha, yes fair play, your right!!

LOL! Glad you took it in good fun, I love my UK brother and sisters.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:54 AM
link   

Huh?? Maybe its time that someone stood up to the USA! Ever thought of that??? World police strike again.
edit on 13/1/2012 by waveydavey because: (no reason given)

Isnt that a fresh concept.
:sarcasm:

edit on 1/13/2012 by 12m8keall2c because: fixed errant bbcode in quoted content

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:57 AM
link   
reply to post by sonnny1

I have.. and dismissed it.

If the world feels that way though when the next world war hits they can rebuild their own countries themselvs.

Appeasement DOES NOT WORK.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:19 AM
link   
This will work out in Chinas favor.

Before if Iran was giving them $2 a gallon for gas....now China can say "since we have these sanctions I can't give you gas for $2 a gallon"..........."but I do have these massive submarine tankers and I can sneak gasoline into you for $6 a gallon".

China will make out better, these sanctions helped them...not hurt them.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:20 AM
link   
They really are pushing for WW3. The old problem reaction solution trick time and time again.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   
Bro, Seriously... how much do we ACTUALLY know..
I know sanctions are considered "an act of war"
but the people who are running this country ARENT STUPID,

i mean we got to this place for a reason.
they hit us with the Patriot act and A slogan "We Will Never Forget"...
(think about it.. the constitution.. there ya go)

# is about to go down. and if youre within these border lines
you better be with the program or # is reallly going to hit the fan for you.
USA ALL DAY

(btw: these are the same guys who have stopped several major plots the last decade so be thankful for that)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 06:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Lawlz0rz

Sanctions are not an act of war.

A blockade is an act of war.

As far as stuff going down I am leaning in that direction as well. The question we will need to ask is -

Anything else in the box pandora?
edit on 13-1-2012 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

active topics

<<   2 >>

join