It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McDonald's Discontinues Use Of Pink Slime In Burgers

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:24 PM
link   
This is both good news, and gross news. The good news is that activism has prompted them to remove this ingredient from their foods. The gross news is that you have been eating pink slime burgers for a while if you eat at McDonalds, and also, the food still has some disgusting ingredients in it.

I personally don't eat there and avoid it like the plaque due to my moral stance on factory farming, and the fact their food is about the worst thing you could consume next to anti-freeze. Eating foods like this, especially on a consistent basis is sure to throw your endocrine system out of wack, as well as lead to cancer and heart diease down the road. Especially when you consider acrylimide has a very strong link to cancer--something that's created when they cook your frys....

McDonald’s and two other fast-food chains have stopped using an ammonia-treated burger ingredient that meat industry critics deride as “pink slime.”

The product remains widely used as low-fat beef filling in burger meat, including in school meals. But some consumer advocates worry that attacks on the product by food activist Jamie Oliver and others will discourage food manufacturers from developing new methods of keeping deadly pathogens out of their products.
The beef is processed by Beef Products Inc. of Dakota Dunes at plants at Waterloo, Iowa, and in three other states. One of the company’s chief innovations is to cleanse the beef of E. coli bacteria and other dangerous microbes by treating it with ammonium hydroxide, one of many chemicals used at various stages in the meat industry to kill pathogens.
“Basically, we’re taking a product that would be sold at the cheapest form for dogs, and after this process we can give it to humans,” Oliver said in a segment of his ABC television show, Jamie Oliver’s Food Revolution, that aired last spring.

Activism works, sometimes....

BPI, which once boasted of having its product in 70 percent of the hamburger sold in the country, has lost 25 percent of its business. McDonald’s has been joined by Taco Bell and Burger King in discontinuing use of the product, and the company is worried other chains and retailers will follow them.
“It’s just a shame that an activist with an agenda can really degrade the safety of our food supply,” said David Theno, an industry consultant who has advised BPI and is credited with turning the Jack in the Box burger chain into a model of food safety after a deadly E. coli outbreak in 1993. He called the BPI process “extraordinarily effective” in making beef safer.

"Extrodinarily effective" in the short term, probably disasterous in the long term...

(Source)
edit on 12-1-2012 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
i read about this the other day at disinfo...

i have never seen the pink stuff at mcdonalds or burger king (maybe my area has a different supplier)

i have, however, seen it at whataburger and carls jr...
i start trying to pick it off, only to find its infused with the meat...

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by baphomet420

i have never seen the pink stuff at mcdonalds or burger king (maybe my area has a different supplier)

Might I suggest it's healthier, morally sound, and very cost effective to avoid fast foods. It's like a tripple win, when you avoid them.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

wait... what about the fries?...

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheSleepCreep

wait... what about the fries?...

Start scroll down to the first item that has the picture of fries and start reading...

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:33 PM
link   
I try to avoid anything to do with fat pocket corporations. Unfortunately, when faced with hunger and convenience I am sometimes guilty of giving in. .. and I always feel miserable afterwards.

Thanks for the info. Glad to see some positive change going on. Although it still doesn't change my perspective.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by causeimalive
I try to avoid anything to do with fat pocket corporations. Unfortunately, when faced with hunger and convenience I am sometimes guilty of giving in. .. and I always feel miserable afterwards.

Thanks for the info. Glad to see some positive change going on. Although it still doesn't change my perspective.

Yeah, you can't be blamed for that, as long as it's the exception to the rule. Fast food is literally like unprotected sex with a uh....

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0

Originally posted by baphomet420

Might I suggest it's healthier, morally sound, and very cost effective to avoid fast foods. It's like a tripple win, when you avoid them.

when i am at home, i cook... taste much better, plus, i know exactly the way i like it

however, I am in sales, and am constantly on the road... so fast food it is...

Originally posted by v1rtu0s0

Yeah, you can't be blamed for that, as long as it's the exception to the rule. Fast food is literally like unprotected sex with a uh....

cow???
edit on 1/12/2012 by baphomet420 because: (no reason given)

link   
who would have thought that clowndonalds would serve something gross or unhealthy..

im shocked

njscuba.net...

link   
Man that is just gross..

thanks for the thread..

i stopped eat hamburger meat a couple of years ago..

seems i can't digest it anymore..

Turkey meat ..FTW!!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:40 PM
link   
This reminds me of a sponge bob episode. A company "paty o mondays" buys out kraby patty's. The burgers paty o monday's makes is goo heated and shaped into burger. The burgers look gooie but the customers dont notice it until some one points it out.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   

Fast food is literally like unprotected sex with a uh....

Well put my friend, only instead of gonorrhea its obesity and other complications. Some most likely undiscovered yet. Food inc... thats all I have to say about it.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:49 PM
link   
My god.....I always thought that was mayo.
FML

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
I have never noticed that stuff before, looks pretty gross in the picture. I bet it doesn't look quite that disgusting in real scenarios though. The stuff probably is bad for you, but the fact that McDonald's stopped using it based on public concern...that's a real eye-opener. I have always seen them as an anything-for-profit type of business that didn't care about it's customers, but not so much now.

I'll still eat there every now and again, it's good junk food. (Good as in tasty, obviously not in healthy) But only once in a while. I prefer me a good ol' deer burger anyway. No fat, additives, or hormones and tastes way better than any beef burger ever made.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
I too have cut back about 95% of my fast food eating. There are a few documentories, that turned me away. One thing I have considered, and not to justify anything. Do we have much of an option with our over populization issues for feeding so many people? Seems like the hormones, and steriods, and mass "constuction" of food might be required.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   

Oh god. That was really eye opening! Thanks for pointing me in that direction. Flag and stars.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   

I prefer me a good ol' deer burger anyway.
reply to post by nwdogg1982

Deeeeeeeerrrr...

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:40 AM
link   
thanks for the heads up on pink slime, v1rtu0s0! when i see this sort of thing i can't help but scratch my head and wonder how people will still put this crap into their bodies!

i've preached this sermon on ats before, but meat is unhealthy and extremely wasteful. someone above commented that we should resort to chemically building our foods to combat overpopulation, and the fact that someone would consider that as an option scares me.

maybe we should grow our own food so we know we aren't eating crap.

honestly, does anybody on ats really go to mcdonalds? it's hard for me to believe that someone who was concerned with the issues on this site would allow themselves to consume the filth and tumors that are grounded up and fed to people at mass-produced fast food dispensaries.

to each her/his own, i guess.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I call BS... I have had plenty MCD's and have never seen anything strange, especially not "pink slime" in any of their products. The one possible explanation could be blood plasma from an undercooked or pierced burger patty that leaked out and cooked on the hot plate.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:54 AM
link   
As a fast food worker for KFC/A&W (been at the same store for over 5 years now). I really don't know exactly what they put in our chicken and burgers, but it's not healthy at all. I've had several of my bosses tell me this. Just my 2 cents. Wish I could be more helpful. But this is what I know.
*EDIT* - there's no pink slime in our burgers from A&W. God knows what else is in them though.

edit on 1/13/2012 by Slash because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join