It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would it be worth $50,000 to clone your dog?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
This subject is way out of my league, but I know some people on ATS might can help me understand. The reason being is I live with a English Springer Spaniel named Mick whom I have nicknamed Mickers. He is my boyfriends dog, whom he rescued from an alcholic, whom neglected Mick and never took him outside. When Mickers would stand by the door and paw on it, the guys would yell at him and so Mickers had to go to the bathroom inside, and the alcholic would just cover it up with dirty cloths and throw people food at him for his dinner. My boyfriend whom is a Dog Musher and Animal Lover had enough and said I am taking your dog. Now Mickers is just a blessing not only to mY boyfriend who taught him to mush and skijore for fun, but also to me. You see he and I have a connection, me being a diabectic, he can tell when my sugar is about to drop, and he knows when you need a hug. He loves everyone and just is the best doggie in the world. My best friend actually. Last night we were all in bed and this show came on TV titled "I cloned my dog". I was baffled. It led into the stories of three people who loved their dogs more than anyone and anything. These people went through a process of getting dna and cells from their dogs so they could send it to Korea Scientist when the time came after their beloved dogs passed. One person started a business named after their dog to raise the money. Another lady lost her job and literally sold personal items and borrowed money to make the money. The scentist did their thing and created the eggs, implanted them and then the puppies are created. One attempt created two clones but one of the puppies died right after birth from a heart attack, but fortunately the other survived. It was amazing the puppies had the same spots and color and faces of the dog they were cloned from, and the people seemed so happy! However it never showed how they progressed or interview'd the people later on, the show just ended. My question is did the dogs act like the original dog besides the physical features? And I Love Mickers so much, but would it really be the same dog? And for $50,000 that is something I myself could never afford, and is it even worth it? When you clone are you making an exact replica? And if they can clone dogs, are people next?(that;s another topic, sorry) It's just a thought but Wow! I just don't know what to think!!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Nope. I'd just go down to the local shelter and get one for almost free! Save a life and save my bank account in one action, not such a bad deal.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:05 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Ops4Ops

A animal clone will have the same genetics and DNA as the animal it was cloned from. However, none of the experiences or memories the dog had would be given to a clone. Since your dog grew up in an abusive household, than it is possible it will have a different "personality". But I guess most dogs act the same, especially when shown love by the owner. Instead of dishing out money for a clone, it will probably be best to let it be and rescue another dog from the humane society. It's what your puppy would have really wanted in my opinion.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Only if I could clone someone to clean up after him.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by spaceg0at

I could see something like this being a commercial on TV in a couple years.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Would not see the need to...
My beloved cat since a kid, had passed away in my early 20s. I had searched around rescues and such, found a cat very like her in looks and her personality the most drew me to adopting her. Even today her behavior is very much like my cat who had passed away-they are in no way related!

I don't feel it is ethically right...
Short life spans, medical conditions, and especially when the surrogate mothers are from 'dog slaughter farms'(the person you're mentioning was told the surrogate mother will be sent to a 'nice farm', sadly she bought this outright-she does want the other surviving dog from the cloning, but how about the mother dog?).
edit on 12-1-2012 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheSleepCreep
reply to post by Ops4Ops

A animal clone will have the same genetics and DNA as the animal it was cloned from. However, none of the experiences or memories the dog had would be given to a clone. Since your dog grew up in an abusive household, than it is possible it will have a different "personality". But I guess most dogs act the same, especially when shown love by the owner. Instead of dishing out money for a clone, it will probably be best to let it be and rescue another dog from the humane society. It's what your puppy would have really wanted in my opinion.

Exactly. Regardless of the level of resemblance it would have to the original, I think it would be a tad disconcerting to have something so similar yet different in many ways in my opinion are fundamental.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:50 PM
link   
No.. it would be wrong to do so with our current technology.

Unless you have a DNA sample from very young, or at the time of birth.. the dog would suffer from a lot of problems and have a short life because they have shortened telomeres.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
reply to post by 8ILlBILl8

Honestly, that video gave me chills. Thanks for sending it, Point taken!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   
Nope, it would not be the same soul and if you know your dog, you'd know that.
I'll see my doggies again someday, I know they are waiting for me anxiously, but this time on even ground.
Now maybe I'll be able to tell them what to do instead.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ohyouknow

I see alot of wisdom in this post.
Star upon ya!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:30 AM
link   
reply to post by g146541

Thank you! I see so many people rushing out to spend hundreds of dollars for dogs because they're pure breeds when hundreds of dogs get put down who need love too. Our mutts have been the best dogs ever. Take your $50,000, save a shelter dog and then donate the rest of your money to saving more. You're not getting your old dog back, you're just getting something that looks like the old one.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:38 AM
link   
No, because it would have it's own distinct personality. If my dog could be cloned and it had the same personality and everything? Maybe....But even then...Maybe not... Because it still wouldn't be him and It just would not be the same....Some how.

After my dog dies ( He is 16 now) I may make my way up to the local animal shelter and find some one there needing a new friend. Maybe I could be that friend

edit on 13-1-2012 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
I watched that show and was was hoping someone would post about it!

Case in point: Peter has a picture frame full of Wolfie’s hair -- harvested from the poor dog's corpse -- on his coffee table. He has a shrine to Wolfie in his backyard full of canine-themed stuffed animals. Peter goes on dates to restaurants by himself and sets a picture of Wolfie on the table across from him.

Here are a choice quote from Peter: “I still remember how she feels in my arms. I know every inch of her body."

LINK to a blogged recap

In my opinion, NO, I would not clone my pet ever. It is not the same pet. My boyfriend swears that I would clone my favorite cat "Baby Munch" when she dies, but I would never ever. It may look like her, but it wouldn't be her! We are not just strands of DNA, we are who we are because of our experiences and life's journeys.

I'll leave you all with an original song of Peter's that he sang to clone Wolfie, who barely made it out of the womb alive. I couldn't decide whether to laugh at this fool or cry at the poor pup barely holding onto life in the incubator.

edit on 13-1-2012 by harlot7 because: Fix video link

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by harlot7

Thanks so much for your post. I so understand what you mean. I cried when one of the puppies died, but I got angry at the guy that paid to have Wolfie cloned because he was treating his girlfriend like she didn't even matter, it was all about the dog even before the cloning process.

new topics

top topics

join