It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can someone please go look at Sirius for me??

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:47 PM
link   
reply to post by AnonyJai

....yes , Sirius is as bright as Jupiter , which is bright these days , too
and those two corner stars ...Beetle and the opposite corner....kitty corner.....are an awesome color.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by AzureSky
Considering it could possibly be the second star in our binary.

No, it couldn't. Sirius has a proper motion of 1.2 arcseconds/year in declination and .546 arcseconds per year in right ascension (15 km/sec and 6.8 km/sec velocity relative to our solar system respectively). Since we're about 8.6 light years from the Sirius system, and since Sirius A and B have a combined mass of nearly 3 times the sun's mass, the escape velocity from the Sirius system at the distance of our sun is about 0.1 km/sec. In other words, our solar system is traveling many times too fast relative to Sirius to be able to orbit it or be in a binary system with it.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MalusLupus

Your right it is red, great link. Bookmarked!

Thanks

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

Thanks so much! I'm stacking up quite a pile of reading material here. haha - And no I didn't think you sounded rude at all but thanks for clarifying anyway.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Here's my latest image of Sirius, completely over-exposed to the point that internal reflections in the telescope become obvious:
i319.photobucket.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by ngchunter

Beautiful, thank you!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 04:54 PM
link   

Sirius has been getting brighter,
It would,

Highly interesting theory.
, Quite possibly the golden age of legend.

Why would it be the second star in our binary as there are at least 5 stars CLOSER than it!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Just wanted to reinforce GreenEyedLeo's post: Stellarium.

I use it several times a week (including, "I wonder what satellite I watched passing south at seven o'clock last night?"). I live near downtown in a fair sized city, so my telescope is in storage (Dear God, please get me out of this city!) and Stellarium keeps me mindful of what I am missing-- sort of a like self-induced torture.

So, to recap--

Sirius is the brightest star in the sky. And seemed tome to be unusually bright lately-- p[probably because of the better and clearer air of late.

Jupiter has been brilliant for months-- Venus showing off as well. Mars come up just before the moon tonight.

In Orion, Betelgeuse is the reddish one, and Rigel is catty-cornered (how we say it in Texas) across Orion's Belt from Betelgeuse.

You know about the Great Orion Nebula, right? Look near the middle "star" (it is really a bunch of them) of Orion's scabbard hanging from his belt. Decent scopes and even astronomical binoculars may produce a satisfying "Wow!"

Lastly, when describing the sky, terms like "Southwest" instead of "lower left" (and such) will negate confusion introduced by variances of local time, orientation and longitude of other observers.

edit on 13-1-2012 by Frira because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:26 PM
link   

appologies about that, someone pulled the knob off the dimmer switch - it should be fixed soon

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:12 PM
link   
R U Sirius

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise

No, not abnormally.Its usually the brightest star(s) in the night sky compared to Jupiter or Venus. Oh and I just got the book Sirius Mystery by Robert Temple, so far very awesome

edit on 12-1-2012 by Starwise because: (no reason given)

Yes that is a very interesting book you mention
Happy reading

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
The hazy bit mid way down from the belt stars is A Stellar Nursery where many many stars are in the process of being born - Very awe inspiring

posted on Jan, 16 2012 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by wmd_2008

Sirius has been getting brighter,
It would,

Highly interesting theory.
, Quite possibly the golden age of legend.

Why would it be the second star in our binary as there are at least 5 stars CLOSER than it!

It is speculated the Sirius and our Sun were once part of the same nebulas clump of material
edit on 16-1-2012 by artistpoet because: The other close by stars are not main sequence stars I believe one is a brown dwarf etc(no reason given)

edit on 16-1-2012 by artistpoet because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 19 2012 @ 04:42 PM
link   

I'm really glad I stumbled upon this post. I too noticed this unusual brightness as did my father. I had taken my telescope out to try to see Mars, and when I went to the other side of my porch WOW. I am good with astronomy and I definitely know Sirius and have seen it before, but that night it was just AMAZINGLY bright. It was actually so bright that I ran inside and told everyone to come out and look because I thought it might be something other than what it was. The only way I can describe it is that it looked to me like it had got unusually close to Earth because it also looked bigger. It was literally like someone was shining a spotlight from just outside the atmosphere... it was crazy. Thanks for posting this thread, I look forward to reading the replies.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join