It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

People who text and drive SUCK!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
I just went to the bank and on the way had to swerve off the road into a snowbank. Why? A middle aged woman who was steering her car with her knees while texting spaced out and was on the wrong side of the road heading straight at me. She did not even see me ditch dive to miss her she was so busy texting.

What part of texting and driving kills don't these jerks understand. Anyone who does this SUCKS!

Only twice in my entire life of nearly 60 years have I had an incident with a drunk, but I've now had five serious close calls with people on cell phones in just the last few years.

If the lady in the blue car is a member here I'm going to go home, make a Voodoo Doll of you, put it in a model of your car and incinerate it with a torch.

There, now I feel better.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I agree. It is completely stupid. I come from a city where the drivers are noticeably bad at the best of times. However a lot text and drive. I drove past someone the other day that I noticed was reading the paper while driving.... sigh

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
www.dui.com...

i would agree with you hypothesis.

yet i still don't think we should let them put cellular implants directly into our skulls.

ETA: the link is to an article that compares drunk-driving to texting, stating that "Drivers texting messages are 3-4 times slower than drunk drivers to apply brakes to avoid a collision."
edit on 12-1-2012 by mythos because: eta

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Then I suck. Do it all the time. I get away with it because I've got a feel for the keyboard and don't have to look down. And when I do, I look down less time than I would if I was changing the radio station or turning on the heat.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
reply to post by AnIntellectualRedneck

can't it wait?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck
Then I suck. Do it all the time. I get away with it because I've got a feel for the keyboard and don't have to look down. And when I do, I look down less time than I would if I was changing the radio station or turning on the heat.

I am sure that everyone texting and driving says/thinks the same way.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnIntellectualRedneck

You are making the same excuses drunk drivers use. All I can say is I hope you get caught before you hurt an innocent person. You are deluding yourself, exactly the same way a drunk does.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Yup, it's stoopid.
ETA Glad to hear you survived the incident, albeit possibly with car damage.
edit on 12/1/12 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Laws need to be passed that if the police see you texting and driving, they can pull you over and ticket you

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

People who text and drive....are idiots! I think there should be laws against texting, putting on your makeup, combing your hair etc. while you are driving.

The people that do other things...while they are supposed to just be concentrating on driving...to me are very dangerous and fools...don't they realize they are an accident waiting to happen and that their carelessness could possibly kill themselves and others and/or they or others could get severely injured.

The people that drive..should just drive...and do nothing else...until they are safely parked...and ready to get out of their car.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Colorado law, last year passed hand free talking on phone only-texting gets you a ticket/fine as well as talking without hands free. As of January 1st, not talking at all-even hands free.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Agreed, you should have chased her down, pulled her out and beat the hell out of her cell phone and left her wondering wtf???

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Oh I see it all the time and it makes me furious!
In todays fast paced world people think they have
to get everything done in a small amount of time,
The phone call can wait until you get to your location,
if not then please pull over to a safe spot and make
the call. I think tickets should be given out for
texting and driving!!!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Up here, fines are heavy for getting caught.

For the US, state by state laws about it:
www.pcworld.com...

When you're traveling, make sure to know the local laws about mobile phone use and text messaging while driving. Some infractions carry weighty fines and even potential jail time.

It would be good for people to review what states it's illegal in.
Also, remember the US government just passed about 40,000 new laws, so there are probably updates to learn about.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:15 PM
link   

I know this will be controversial, but if there is a accident, maybe the police should be able to check the phone logs of those involved. Just like they do with a breathalyzer.

I can’t count the number of times that the car in front of me is swerving all over the road and when I do pass them, they are busy texting away. I just want to get in front of them and slam on the brakes at times…and then sue the bejesus out of them.

Recently I overheard a girl at the checkout complaining about a fine she had recieved for texting while driving. "I can do both", she said, "I know how to drive while texting."

I laughed and replied, "I know how to drive while drunk, but it doesn't make it right, or safe for those sharing the road with you. so I don't do it."

She rolled her eyes and made the "Pffft" sound.

At that point, I looked her dead in the eyes and said, "You really are a clueless bimbo, aren't you?" and strolled off.

That felt good!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   

...What? I look down less than I do if I'm changing the radio or fiddling with climate control. I text with one hand on the wheel. See, this works by allowing me to not weave into other lanes and all kinds of other crap.

Comparing me to a drunk driver is melodramatic at best and character assassination at worst. 5-10 second bursts of slightly risky behavior versus risky behavior the entire time? Thinking about it logically for a few minutes, and there is clearly no comparison. The difference is that I'm still in control and slightly distracted versus having lost control of my faculties to pretty high degree.

You can text and drive if you aren't stupid about it, and it's not even close to drunk driving.

top topics

join