It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has there been an increase of robberies in your area?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:44 PM
link   
The county I live in is one of the top 5 richest counties in the entire United States. It's sort of detached from reality in that almost everyone makes 6 figures a year. Without getting into personal details, let me say that while we live in a rich neighborhood, my family isn't exactly rich.

Anyway, the surprising part of all of this is that the county has one of the lowest crime rates in the state. But recently, there's been an uptick in the amount of robberies. Some people are having their homes broken into with burglars stealing valuable items like laptops, TVs, and jewelry. But what is also surprising is that there are now muggers coming into our neighborhood (presumably because it's known as a rich development) and robbing people on the street. Just the other day, some kids had their wallets, cell phones, and keys stolen at gunpoint.

My guess as to why this is happening is because of the economy, people are desperate and turning to illegal means for money. I'm just wondering if this has been happening in your area too.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:04 PM
link   
In the county I reside in........approx population...80,000.....a deputy told me that as of the first week of Jan.,there had been 65 break-ins.

Not to give exactly where I live.....Western NC....large populations 60 miles east, and west.

Our county is not one of the more affluent counties of NC, it is mid-range.

Our county had the most meth-labs busted in the state, during a recent time period. I believe meth use is contributing a significant part in the rise in crime. The economy is not that great here either.

Meth-producers should be given the death-penalty in my opinion. Creating instant-addicts, along with all the crime related with meth use, puts it in an entirely different class of drugs.

No doubt, there is crime being committed by those who normally would not commit crime, due to no jobs, unemployment running out, and other factors. The meth-heads are just stupid people that should be removed from the Gene-Pool.

I am fearful, things are going to get much worse, before they get better.

I would like to take this time to thank all of the politicians that promoted NAFTA, and all the other agreements that have helped to boost our economy......Oh wait a minute.....They did say it would be good for us....did they not?

Must have been a misunderstanding of what they meant to say. Surely they would not do things that would hurt the American worker, and help destroy our economy, now would they?

Buckle up....it's going to be a wild ride.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
we are down on robberies/property crime but homicides are up it would seem, just straight up shootings and stabbings more then anything.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
How can i put this

"The rich get richer and the poor get poorer"

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:19 PM
link   
I live in a ruralish area with people who are mostly poor, and yes even here robberies are up. Robberies of Banks, Churches, Convenience Stores, any places with copper, persons in parking lots at shopping centers and home invasions with or without weapons are all up.

It would seem we are descending into chaos. The news here used to be a laugh, no violence against persons, now every night there are more and more reports of murders and robberies.

The rich are getting richer and the poor are drowning. Complicate that with drugs and it gets ugly fast.
edit on 12-1-2012 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
There's nobody around where I live. The farm houses are miles apart and we are all armed. If there were any robberies around, we would have heard it through the rural grapevine. Since most of us have at least one adult person home all the time, and there's very little farming going on at this time of year, there would have also been dead robbers reported.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:44 PM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

Not my city in particular but about 30 miles northeast of my neck of the woods there has been alot of robberies.
It is the new money part of town.
These things are happening as the economy flat out sucks.
Just wait until it gets just abit worse, we'll then see what desperate people do.
Anyone still asleep will be woken, one way or another.
Either by reality or by the guy throwing him and his wife on the floor of their beautifully furnished bedroom floor.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Yep. I had the cops here this morning because one of my boys vehicles was broken into again! We got a nixle message this week from our borough PD asking for help in a rash of robberies in the area..the cop that came out this morning told us there has been an increase in "transients". His word not mine. He asked where our surveilance cameras were,
We're the family known for our cameras around town because of nasty neighbors in the past...Shame we gotta turn them back on.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:07 PM
link   
live far in the boonies no neighbors.... though the local maqacues been raid my garden lately...

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   
A lot of pillaging for copper. Stealing all kinds of metal, air conditioning units, etc. In broad daylight in many instances, Desperate people, desperate times. Plus, meth usage is rampant here. Scrapyards are going to start paying with checks instead of cash on the spot for random brought-in scrap, the laws are changing to adjust to the circumstances. In some neighborhoods it's become a real serious problem.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
i'm not sure if robberies are up, but murders sure have been picking up in the OKC area since new years...

here in norman a cop shot a guy on his own property...
sounds suspicious...

if sounds like they were having a bon fire party (burning a car) (rural area, not in town, lol)...

someone called in about the fire...

they showed up, the owner of the property had a gun, they shot and killed him...

what is not clear, is rather or not they identified themselves as law enforcement before blowing the guy away...

a car crashed into the house the other day (broad daylight) in OKC... they came to put out the fire, and discovered both people in the car had been shot...

there have been a few others as well.. those are the ones i am finding interesting...

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:53 AM
link   
reply to post by mossme89

As far as I know, no. But I guess that's what the Second Amendment is for, protecting yourself

edit on 13-1-2012 by TupacShakur because: (no reason given)

top topics

join