It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Pirate Bay Will Stop Serving Torrents , is this the start of website's fearing the rise of SOPA

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

In a month The Pirate Bay will no longer offer downloads of .torrent files. Instead, the largest torrent site on the Internet will only provide so-called magnet links to its visitors. The first step in this direction was made today with The Pirate Bay replacing the current default torrent download links with magnets. Could this be the end of an era?

I think you will see alot more sites doing things like this to cover there arsses from the inpending SOPA bill. Its a shame to see a site like TPB tuck tail like a whipped dog

full story
edit on 1/12/2012 by dedpope because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:26 PM
link   
This is the last thing I would expect from them. It would seem the pragmatism has won in their minds against idealism.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by dedpope

Alright. We have to do something about this. I wasn't going to bother writing my representative, but now it's happening.

Really, why would they stand down like this? They are based in Sweeden anyways.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by WillNiendick
reply to post by dedpope

Alright. We have to do something about this. I wasn't going to bother writing my representative, but now it's happening.

Really, why would they stand down like this? They are based in Sweeden anyways.

I agree I use reverse robocall you can get them all at one time

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Oh no. Now I can not get the rest of lost. This is the end of the world. How can they do this? Is it legal?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by dedpope

At least there is a silver lining here, albeit a small one. From your Full Story link:

The Pirate Bay team told TorrentFreak that one of the advantages of the transition to a “magnet site” is that it requires relatively little bandwidth to host a proxy. This is topical, since this week courts in both Finland and the Netherlands ordered local Internet providers to block the torrent site.

Perhaps even better, without the torrent files everyone can soon host a full copy of The Pirate Bay on a USB thumb drive, which may come in handy in the future.

Also...

The good news is that all mainstream BitTorrent clients support magnet links. This wasn’t the case back in 2009, but when The Pirate Bay hinted that in the future they could become a magnet-only site, all developers quickly made their clients fully compatible.

edit on 12-1-2012 by de Thor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by dedpope

I think you guys are worrying for nothing, magnet links still work like normal torrents, as most torrent clients support them (and everyone use uTorrent anyway). As long as the client supports magnet links, it is actually both faster and more convenient to use magnets, and the result is pretty much the same. This is just another way of them to say "FCK YOU" to the legislators, as this would pretty much make them invulnerable to any current legislation, while at the same time offer the same service to their users.

As long as they are able to technologically stay ahead of the slow lumbering arm of the law like this, they have nothing to fear.

edit on 12-1-2012 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by dedpope

I have been trying to get to www.warez-bb.org... all day and I keep getting "cannot connect to remote server" messages.

Never heard of reverserobocall till now, but it's worth a shot (though I doubt they will pay any attention to the effort.)
edit on 1/12/2012 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
You did NOT understand this article, AT ALL.

It's just another way to deliver the torrent data, torrent software like utorrent can read magnet, and there is DHT and whatnot. They are simply replacing the TORRENT FILES (not the actual shared content) - its simply a changed way of sharing the initial data required to download whatever files. (Which are downloaded via bittorrent protocol coming from various clients, not from one single site.) Piratebay or any torrent site is/was only hosting this "information files" (torrents) - with bittorrent the ACTUAL file you then download (like movies etc.) is not "hosted" in that sense anyway at one location.

A "torrent" in a strict sense only is a small piece containing data about the file and in the past this had to be hosted.
It's only an information file and a few bytes large. But its old technology since every modern torrent client does not need "torrent files" anymore to get the data required to download the actual files.
edit on 12-1-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Well they got off to an early start in here. My isp was forced by court to remove piratebay from it's dns. They removed about 10 domains and idiotically forgot one.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
reply to post by dedpope

I have been trying to get to www.warez-bb.org... all day and I keep getting "cannot connect to remote server" messages.

Never heard of reverserobocall till now, but it's worth a shot (though I doubt they will pay any attention to the effort.)
edit on 1/12/2012 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

Oh if you get 500 people: they can definitely make a difference

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by PsykoOps
Well they got off to an early start in here. My isp was forced by court to remove piratebay from it's dns. They removed about 10 domains and idiotically forgot one.

We moved to Spain last year, to my surprise (i didn't know that actually!) file downloading is legal in Spain as long as its not "for profit". I think it's the only country where it's really legal.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:45 AM
link   
I think some country maybe Switzerland just legalized downloading for personal use. So perhaps a move to a better place is soon in order here too

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 01:49 AM
link   
I'm not seeing the big deal. I have used those magnet links for years now - it makes it so much easier and more streamlined to get the links into uTorrent.

Personally I think the download links are "old tech".

posted on Jan, 27 2012 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

Wow. SO what was the charge? How did they approach you and why you I wonder? When was this? I ask because I got an email from comcast/xfinity when I downloaded a flick and they caught it some how (out of 1000?????) I found it odd. One of the files I noticed later was that it had the att.net server datat in the file and I wonder if that is how they "caught" the donwload?

I am absolutely sure this has been said but not one came to our house because we bought a dual cassette tape boom box with audio enhancement controls.....meaning remanuafacturing a cassette with a LEGAL machine. What is the difference now. I guess the speed and ease to do more is making their milions slow a bit and they can't buy a car every week or buy a tuna dirrectly off of the boat at the cost of 49k...must be some great sushi.

There must be some type of middle ground put in place....everything evolves and from out past we mananged to record massive amounts of music from the store bought cassette release any album. Lastly VHS....you could use your VCR to record the soaps, games, series, etc... Where was BBIIIIIIGGGG gov't then? Oh that's right - all the artist did not line the coats of the politicians and our President!!!

I download on PB and capture avi torrennt files.....can anyone tell me what to do now. Oh and peerblock...what are your thoughts on this program and I cant seem to download it to try and see the results.

Peace, love, light, LIFE, LIBERTY AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS

posted on Jan, 28 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I didn't do anything and I wasn't charged with anything. It was my whole isp. Elisa.net has hundreds of thousands of customers here.

join