It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet blacklist power to be stripped from Senate's PROTECT IP Act

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Internet blacklist power to be stripped from Senate's PROTECT IP Act

arstechnica.com

Sen. Patrick Leahy (D-VT) doesn't want to give up his DNS-based Interent blacklisting plans—but he's willing to put them on hold. One of the key drivers of the PROTECT IP Act in the Senate announced today that he will recommend stripping the DNS-blocking provisions from his bill while further technical studies are underway.

The complaints against DNS-based blocking have been vocal ones. Leahy announced his plan today to introduce a "manager's amendment" to the current bill after hearing from "engineers, human rights groups, and... a number of Vermonters." Not that he's convinced
While these sorts of issues seem like they should have come up during drafting or during hearings on the bill, PROTECT IP has already moved out of committee and to the Senate floor, where it currently suffers a hold by Sen. Ron Wyden (D-OR). Sen. Harry Reid (D-NV) will try to move the bill forward regardless on January 24, and the late change from Leahy appears designed to get the current legislation passed now rather than allow opposition to crystallize around a totally different approach, like the OPEN Act now being pitched by Wyden.
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 12-1-2012 by popsmayhem because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Wow thanks, this senater says
he will recommend stripping the
DNS-blocking provisions.
This is a move forward atleast
to killing THE PIA bill.
There should be in
no way the government
has the ability to blacklist and censor our net.
I can't believe these guys can sleep at night.
I think the protect IP act will be killed.
lets keep the net FREE!!
SENATORS DO NOT LET THIS PASS!!

arstechnica.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
I'd like to see how much money has changed hands behind closed doors on this issue already. the amount of money the Lobbying groups are throwing around on this would likely tell whether or not this issue could be killed or not. On the other hand, they could always throw this bill out and combine it with SOPA in the form of amendments.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by roaland
I'd like to see how much money has changed hands behind closed doors on this issue already. the amount of money the Lobbying groups are throwing around on this would likely tell whether or not this issue could be killed or not. On the other hand, they could always throw this bill out and combine it with SOPA in the form of amendments.

I'm sure they got a few vacations
to hawii and golfing resorts.
These guys are dirty to the bone!
As stated they could do a hybrid
and combine them all together..

There making big money sponsering this
crap probally lobbyist from the cable companies
and other media outlets.
Like mainstream PRO RIAA
media outlets.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

i don't care if Mickey Mouse is Lobbying this crap down our throats, i for one am sick and tired of these people dismantling our basic rights as established in the Constitution. I think they need another reading of that document on the house floor again because they obviously didn't hear the last time it was read there....

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   
New source I just found from
computer world.Computer World
Sponsor: Protect IP Act may be amended in response to concerns
The amendment would require a study of the effects of the ISP provision in the bill, Sen. Leahy says

Leahy defended the bill, saying the ISP provisions were developed in consultation with major service providers. Several ISPs support the bill, he said in comments on Vermont Public Radio. However, sponsors of the bill have heard concerns about its effect on the domain name system from fellow lawmakers, Internet engineers, human rights groups and "a number of Vermonters," he said.

"I remain confident that the ISPs -- including the cable industry, which is the largest association of ISPs -- would not support the legislation if its enactment created the problems that opponents of this provision suggest," Leahy said. "Nonetheless, this is in fact a highly technical issue, and I am prepared to recommend we give it more study before implementing it."

Other provisions of the bill would allow the DOJ and copyright owners to seek court orders requiring online advertising networks and payment processors to stop doing business with websites accused of infringement. Those provisions would remain in the bill.

The amendment will allow the Senate to "focus on the other important provisions in this bill, which are essential to protecting American intellectual property online, and the American jobs that are tied to intellectual property," Leahy said."I regret that law enforcement will not have this [ISP] remedy available to it when websites operating overseas are stealing American property, threatening the safety and security of American consumers."

SIR WHATS THREATENING OUR SAFETY
is this bill. The security of American consumers
is a big fluffing lie.
The dudes a jobber.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:04 PM
link   
reply to post by popsmayhem

ISPs -- would not support the legislation if its enactment created the problems that opponents of this provision suggest,

So in other words, the ISPs are saying they would have to be forced to enforce the bill if passed?

Leahy said. "Nonetheless, this is in fact a highly technical issue, and I am prepared to recommend we give it more study before implementing it."

Oh, ok so Leaky Leahy wants to pass the bill but not enforce it until its understood?

Leahy said."I regret that law enforcement will not have this [ISP] remedy available to it when websites operating overseas are stealing American property, threatening the safety and security of American consumers."

Oh ok now i understand...They plan on using SOPA to block the websites from overseas, thus completely taking ISP providers out of the equation....sneaky, sneaky! yup this thing will pass if this is the plan....

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
besides the fact that these people don't even know how the internet freaking works, they really need to realize they are not going to win on this. the people will make them sorry every time they try to pass it.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by optimus primal

True, but someone should tell the current administration that cause Obama wants every internet user to have an Internet ID, which would make all this and SOPA so much easier for the goverment to track down people with if he gets his way.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by roaland
reply to post by optimus primal

True, but someone should tell the current administration that cause Obama wants every internet user to have an Internet ID, which would make all this and SOPA so much easier for the goverment to track down people with if he gets his way.

The internet id is just as dangerous as sopa and pipa.

They want to take annonymity out of the equation so that when someone rats out the corruption they can send some spook and take you down. Indefinite detention is likely to become the norm as proposed by ndaa, patriot act, dhs, tsa, etc.

Talk about building storms in the horizon. I have lost hope with the democrats as they are just as bad as the republicans. It is not even about corporate imperialism anymore, it is about some very sinister agenda like ww3 depopulation as the israel-iran threats keep going/escalating.

new topics

top topics

join