It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney/Paul ticket 2012 (Ron Paul as vice president)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
Some of you may see this as far fetched, but to me it appears very plausable. Consider the facts:

1. The supporters for Gingrich, Santorum, Perry, Huntsman are already transferable to Romney. We all know that these supporters will without a doubt vote Romney in the general elections if he gains the nomination. They will vote for all the current candidates as the GOP nominee in unity for their dislike of Obama. Nobody need be concerned about losing the support of these voters if Romney wins the nomination.

2. However Paul's flock of supporters, whom I'd say make around 15% of the GOP, may verywell not put out an equal and sizable vote for the nominee of the GOP compared to the other supporters if it doesn't turn out to be Ron Paul (this is demonstrated by the GOP establishments attitude towards Paul and his supporters).

3. Considering as well that many still speculate a Paul third party run (Perot style) if he doesn't gain the GOP nomination.... an effective split in the vote from the GOP, this would not do the GOP any good at all. Paul still has a core flock of supporters who will follow him to a third party run, and this may very well steal libertarian and independent voters from the GOP. Paul has denied he'd do this, but there is still uncertainty as to whether he is being honest about his intentions.... it's still a strong possibility that Paul may run third party and effectively steal votes from the GOP if he doesn't gain the nomination.

4. Considering that Ron Paul will help Romney not only unite the Republican party, but effectively gain more independents and libertarian support than Romney could gain from any other vice presidential candidate.

Considering all these possibilities, this seems like the logical move for Romney, something I'm sure his campaign will be throwing around, if he does gain the GOP nomination and if Paul continues to perform as he is now. We have no shortage of die hard Paul supporters here, so if Paul fails to get the nomination, would any of you be in support of this? I'm sure the vast majority of Paul supporters would. This would be the closest ever that Paul could get to the whitehouse, second in line.

Paul as vice president is not a new idea on this forum, but as vice president to Romney? I have not seen talk of this. It's still early days I know, but it's something to think about.
edit on 12-1-2012 by Southern Guardian because: (no reason given)

+2 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:18 PM
link   
not gonna happen. Paul has dignity

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:22 PM
link   
He wont steal votes from just the GOP if he runs as an Independent. Obama still has yet to answer for any of the atrocities that he has signed into law. Paul would pull votes (and IS pulling votes) from both the left and right wing.. which is just what this country needs.
edit on 12-1-2012 by Tanulis because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Nope!
To put Dr.Paul on the ticket as a vice would only serve the ptb.
The vice has no power until the pres is dead.
Ron Paul for president 2012, no substitutes will do.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by biggmoneyme
not gonna happen. Paul has dignity

You all may be saying this now, but if Paul finds himself third or fourth on the table in delegates by June, and his prospects for the presidency virtually diminished, are Paul supporters really going to be dismissive if Romney offers him a vice presidential spot? If Paul agreed to run with Romney, would you all still not vote Romney by the end of 2012? Come on now, I find this hard to believe. Paul is smart enough not to pass up an offer like this if he finds himself far from the nomination come June.... and I'm sure as heck that Paul supporters will get behind this ticket.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Southern Guardian

You have got to be kidding. There would be no purpose for RP to run as Vice President much less with Romney. Romney is nothing more that a white Obama. Obama is nothing more than a black George Bush. The other Rep. candidates are nothing more than bought off political prostitutes. The only candidate running is Ron Paul.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tanulis
He wont steal votes from just the GOP if he runs as an Independent. Obama still has yet to answer for any of the atrocities that he has signed into law. Paul would pull votes (and IS pulling votes) from both the left and right wing.. which is just what this country needs.

I think Paul will take votes away from Obama, I've seen afew former Obama supporters who are now Paul supporters, but I think Paul's third party run will be far more damaging to Republican prospects as that of Obama for a second term. Obama can afford to loose votes to a third party run in these elections, the GOP can't afford to lose any. That's just my take. All this won't do much for Paul though either way, if he runs third party he won't win the presidency, and we all know this.... he'll also end up angering GOPers and possibly democrats in the end as well.... which will not be good for his son Rand Paul if he intends to run 2016.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:31 PM
link   
It will never happen!

First off all, take a look at what Romney has done and see what kind of Man he is.

What about Ron Paul?

and that is why it will never happen.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   
In my own personal opinion ron paul as vice president wouldn't be able to save america in time before we self destruct. We're on the brink now. I believe only a president Ron Paul could save america. Even if he gets the presidency trying to pass ANYTHING would be extremely difficult and he would likely have to resort to executive orders if he had to do anything with haste, which i might add, i don't believe he would ever do under any circumstances.

I think it's a terrible idea. BUT, i would rather have a vice president paul than no paul at all. Paul is getting older and i don't know if he can run in another 4 years. I think this is all or nothing for america. Our one chance to come back to what we were meant to be. Just my two cents.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:34 PM
link   
So if this turns out to be a Romney/Paul ticket by August, Ya'll still won't vote for Romney? I don't buy this for one bit. I'm sure there will be a different attitude to this idea by June.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   

I wouldn't vote for Romney if Jesus was his VP. Being Vice President is about as valuable as a warm bucket of spit. Besides, it would never happen anyhow. Ron Paul is not running for Vice President, he is running for president. I can guarantee you RP has no interest in being Romney's VP.

I don't see Ron Paul supporters compromising their values just to make their guy VP as some consolation prize. That's my point of view anyhow. Frankly I view your assumption that they would/will rather insulting.

In 2008 when Ron Paul eventually dropped out of the race, he did not give any other republican his endorsement (including Romney). Why would he change his thoughts on that now? Having Paul as Romney's VP is all Romney benefit, no Paul benefit.

People don't vote for someone because they really really like their VP choice. It is an afterthought mostly.

Anyhow, Romney will not be winning the nomination so it is a moot point. It is only a matter of time before Romney's history catches up with him.

edit on 12-1-2012 by sageofmonticello because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
No one but Paul!!!

Either he gets the nomination or the Republican party gets defeated by our on doing. I will force a second term of Obama to teach the Republican party a lesson. I don't care what Obama does in the second term, It is all about changing the republican party now.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by ColbyNathan
I think it's a terrible idea. BUT, i would rather have a vice president paul than no paul at all. Paul is getting older and i don't know if he can run in another 4 years. I think this is all or nothing for america. Our one chance to come back to what we were meant to be. Just my two cents.

I think this this sort of reality will sink in for most Paul supporters towards the end of the Primaries. Ron Paul would be stupid to turn down this offer, and his supporters would have to be beyond stubborn to continue opposing Romney's run for the presidency even with this ticket. I don't have one doubt in my mind that Paul's supporters will back out of voting for this ticket.... not for one minute.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:45 PM
link   
paul wil go back to congress, and we should be happy

I can see romney trying to balance the ticket with huntsman, but it's getting really personal now, so I think he may go with a surprise ala palin

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I agree with you. But i believe that romney would never ever do this, the other candidates and most of the unaware population avoid ron paul like the plague, they even consider him laughable, i think. Which is really sad. I don't believe that ron paul has enough support to beat obama, although i believe ron paul is the best. I believe that there is just too much ignorance in america still. Although i hope with all i am that Ron paul is our next president. His speeches are so just, he always speaks the truth. I would follow that man loyally. I have never felt that way about a presidential candidate or president before.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:51 PM
link   

If Ron Paul teamed up with Mitt Romney, that would be the end of Ron Paul. His supporters would be stunned into silence. Houses would go dark in shame. Facebook accounts abandoned. Suicides spike.
It would mean the end of hope. The defeat of optimism. The final slap on the face to those idealists that work tirelessly for real change.
But, if Romney were to meet an unfortunate end, hey, there is always a back door to the White House.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   
reply to post by sageofmonticello

Having Paul as Romney's VP is all Romney benefit, no Paul benefit.

You're right. This really would only benefit Romney and the GOP establishment. Romney could get more votes this way, but Paul supporters understand that his whole goal/message is to stay away from (and rid) the establishment corruption, not become part of it. If anything could cause loss of support for the Dr from Paul supporters, this would be it.
edit on 12-1-2012 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian
So if this turns out to be a Romney/Paul ticket by August, Ya'll still won't vote for Romney? I don't buy this for one bit. I'm sure there will be a different attitude to this idea by June.

I agree. I can't see the Paul supporters abandoning him if this came to pass. If Paul said, "Look, this is not exactly what we wanted, but the fact is we can't endure another 4 years of Obama. Don't think I can't be influential here. Please vote for us."

I know they're now saying it would never happen, and that may be so, but it is still avoiding the question. A Romney/Paul ticket would win the race hands down. It would be a really dynamic election.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:02 PM
link   
reply to post by ColbyNathan

Its not about hope its about hard work. No one can wish their way into anything. If you think he is the best then stop going along with the establishment propaganda and negative thought patterns. I won my precinct for Ron Paul when they said it couldn't be done. So can anyone else. All it takes is stop the pity party and get into action.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Southern Guardian

Originally posted by ColbyNathan

I think this this sort of reality will sink in for most Paul supporters towards the end of the Primaries. Ron Paul would be stupid to turn down this offer, and his supporters would have to be beyond stubborn to continue opposing Romney's run for the presidency even with this ticket. I don't have one doubt in my mind that Paul's supporters will back out of voting for this ticket.... not for one minute.

You must be either Very Naive, or Crazy to think Ron Paul would Ever Agree to that . The Anger Most Americans Feel Right Now against the Leadership of both the Democrat and Republican Parties is Unpresidented in our History . If Ron Paul does Not gain the Republican Nomination and then Makes the Hard Decision to Run anyway as an Independent , you will see a Groundswell Support for him from Every American Voter out there Regardless of Party Affiliation who is Completely Sick and Tired of what these Corrupt Politicians in Washington are doing to our Country and it's People . They See with their Own Eyes the END of America if things continue as they are , and the Country as a Whole will Unite to Stop it out of Necessity before it's to Late.......

edit on 12-1-2012 by Zanti Misfit because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join