It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Officially confirms: Cold Fusion(LENR) is REAL

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

Don't know who this Rossia guy is.

What I do know is this.

This sounds very simple and logical. Heat from neutrons.

In reality this is Neutron Power. Cold Fusion caries images of ice cold fusion. This is not that. It's still quite hot. In fact, I'd want to ask how it is True Fusion. Seems like they're just firing neutrons at an atom until it splits.

It's not yet as efficient as the Sun. But it's damn cool.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by mossme89
I just had a thought: couldn't this technology eventually make it's way into cars? I mean maybe I'm wrong, but it could work very simply. If the device requires a small amount of energy to turn on, a small gasoline engine or electric battery could be used to charge it. Then the device could run the vehicle indefinitely. What do you all think?

Not only cars, basically everything else as well.
It is more effective than any current form of electricity production, for the cost. With the possible exception of fission(but fission is not really portable, or harmless). So all the others will eventually shut down. Dams will be dismantled, oil refineries scrapped. Solar panels might still be useful in space, since you really can´t refill the nickel out there.

This is an energy revolution we are talking about, for anyone that didn´t understand this yet.
edit on 13-1-2012 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeoVain

Originally posted by mossme89
I just had a thought: couldn't this technology eventually make it's way into cars? I mean maybe I'm wrong, but it could work very simply. If the device requires a small amount of energy to turn on, a small gasoline engine or electric battery could be used to charge it. Then the device could run the vehicle indefinitely. What do you all think?

Not only cars, basically everything else as well.
It is more effective than any current form of electricity production, for the cost. With the possible exception of fission(but fission is not really portable, or harmless). So all the others will eventually shut down. Dams will be dismantled, oil refineries scrapped. Solar panels might still be useful in space, since you really can´t refill the nickel out there.

This is an energy revolution we are talking about, for anyone that didn´t understand this yet.
edit on 13-1-2012 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

you and I both know that this has the potential to be an "energy revolution" but history teaches us to expect disappointment on a grand scale. I'll be the first to line up for this device if it makes it to market but its a long road from "proof of concept" to "Sale! sale! sale! we've got too many Rossi e-cats and we're passing the savings on to you!" I'm not in any way implying that this tech isn't real or a scam but I just dont see the big boys shrugging their shoulders and walking away from the table. this is not the kind of tech they like (can't meter it) and we have seen what happens when they realise you cant price the product *Cough-Tesla-Wardenclyffe-Cough* what makes you think they are going to change their ways now?

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
good topic, ignore the ignorant haters, keep researching!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
If anyone is interested I found a podcast that has different people calling in and asking questions ...Dr. Edmund Storms. Topics: Cold Fusion or Low Energy Nuclear Reactions (LENR) www.thespaceshow.com...
I am kind of a fence setter leaning toward the hopeful side ..One thing is for sure and that is Rosi is putting these things out there ..Too bad the US didn't give him the patent he applied for ,most of this suspension could have been avoided and may have spread the process up much faster. In the podcast you can see how well trained scientist are so closed minded and stuck in their dogma they become rude .Sad that someone has put so much of their time into wanting to know that they give the one nice thing about their trade once probably cherished and that is investigation ...One would think that Quantum Mechanics would have opened up all papers and peoples minds to at least say it could be .. Instead you hear ,impossible,foolish,absurd .. I will tell you what is impossible and that is that man will know everything ..He is too prone to telling lies and half truths to support his own dogma ..

Dr.Storms thinks it will take 5 years for E-Cat to make it into my home , but also indicates if the law makers, makes it difficult then some countries may never see it . any how here is hoping ..peace

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Maybe they've decided to try and bankrupt the rich middle east countries or at least stem their income by releasing a new energy source other than oil.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
Where's the peer reviewed paper on this? Scientific discoveries are published in papers.

He might well have done a full write up, but anyone else remotely mainstream would throw it in the bin, unfortunately.

I do not believe in peer review, unless the person doing the review has actually performed an experiment. This type of research generally gets dismissed out of hand. If they have honestly tried to replicate it, then and only then are they qualified to comment at all. Armchair skeptics are to be ignored.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

Wired Magazine at the demo :

But this does not mean we can crack open the champagne and celebrate the end of fossil fuels quite yet. Skeptics have plenty of grounds to doubt whether the new test really takes us any further forwards.

For a start, the US customer remains anonymous. In other words, a group of unknown, unverifiable people carried out tests which cannot be checked.

Secondly, observers apart from the customer were only allowed to view the test for a few minutes at a time and during the entire test the E-Cat remained connected to a power supply by a cable. The external power was supposedly turned off; as a demonstration it would have been more impressive for the reactor in its shipping container to be visibly disconnected while operating.

Note my highlights....oh dear that old problem. Inability to disconnect from a power source during a test!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

Well what do you know the claim in the title is not shown on the video this thread is misleading at best or a down right LIE at worst.

So yet again NO COLD FUSION as claimed

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur
reply to post by NeoVain

A couple of questions:

Where's the peer reviewed paper on this? Scientific discoveries are published in papers.

Also I watched the video. I never saw the word fusion once, and the graphics don't show fusion, they show fission, do you know the difference? Moreover the whole video speaks in vague generalities and doesn't give any specifics.

And I noticed you added a second source, which I just read. I'm not reading that as confirmation, far from it.

Its not FISSION when you combine Nickel and Hydrogen and derive Neutrons, Gamma radiation and heat. Its technically FUSION. Obviously not our Father's fusion, but so what, its something new and exciting.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Where's the peer reviewed paper on this? Scientific discoveries are published in papers. Also I watched the video. I never saw the word fusion once, and the graphics don't show fusion, they show fission, do you know the difference? Moreover the whole video speaks in vague generalities and doesn't give any specifics. And I noticed you added a second source, which I just read. I'm not reading that as confirmation, far from it.

I have similar questions, the video doesn't mention the E-cat specifically, doesn't mention cold fusion specifically, but it is in fact taking about cold fusion. And it appears they have a working theory they are currently building. From the video:

by adding neutrinos until they get sufficient mass to convert to a different element with the same mass, this reaction apparently produces heat, this heat can be harnessed in the same manner as conventional nuclear power (boil water) to produce electricity and also because it dumps it's heat into the waste water, can also serve a dual use purpose by being a climate management device as well as providing clean nuclear energy.

Anyways, my questions would be, what are the methods for adding these extra neutrinos, and is this in fact the same reaction / device as the e-cat? further reading required

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by wmd_2008

So yet again NO COLD FUSION as claimed

Cold fusion, also called low-energy nuclear reactions (LENR)

Source

They don't mention cold fusion by name, but this is by the very definition, a low-energy nuclear reaction or LENR, did you even watch the video?

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:34 AM
link   
From Ops 3rd link:

“We intend to core down on the Rossi stuff and find out what’s real and what’s not,” Bushnell said. “But Rossi’s business is hard to explain other than with some kind of LENR. The Rossi stuff is probably wholly Edisonian and not totally understood, which is an understatement. But we can probably understand it at some point.”

One of the eye-witnesses, a former NASA staff member, saw problems from the moment they arrived there.

“Rossi changed the game totally.” the witness said. “From the test plan, the device, everything. There was nothing there that we had agreed on. He had a 30 liter reservoir in there and he wouldn’t even let us see what was in the box or weigh the box.” The Sept. 5 demonstration was inconclusive; Rossi’s device sprang a leak. The Sept. 6 demonstration was inconclusive; there was no outflow of steam or water.

On the second day, when the former NASA staff member asked Rossi if his device had an internal reservoir, Rossi became enraged. Quantum’s engineers left but NASA engineers offered to come back in a few days to give Rossi time to fix the flow. Rossi declined their offer. He said he was “too busy.”

Hmmm, but most importantly:

At the meeting, Bushnell, the chief scientist at NASA Langley, said that LENR has a strong potential for a new source of energy. He was optimistic about nickel powder LENR solutions. “The temperature you can get out of [LENR] is interesting,” Bushnell said. “We’ve had to be careful [in our research in] terms of the energetics. I don’t think there is a power [limitation] problem.

"Strong potential" "interesting"

These are the terms that have me confused as to if this is actually confirmed or just something they are thinking about.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Arken
THE OIL CARTEL ERA IS OVER!

You think? Here's a list of SOME (around 150 from a list of 6000) of the things made from petroleum products, go through it and ask yourself which of these products can be made from cold fusion instead of oil:

Solvents Diesel fuel Motor Oil Bearing Grease
Ink Floor Wax Ballpoint Pens Football Cleats Upholstery
Sweaters Boats Insecticides Bicycle Tires Sports Car Bodies
Nail Polish Fishing lures Dresses Tires Golf Bags
Perfumes Cassettes Dishwasher parts Tool Boxes Shoe Polish
Motorcycle Helmet Caulking Petroleum Jelly Transparent Tape CD Player
Faucet Washers Antiseptics Clothesline Curtains Food Preservatives
Basketballs Soap Vitamin Capsules Antihistamines
Purses Shoes Dashboards Cortisone Deodorant
Footballs Putty Dyes Panty Hose Refrigerant
Percolators Life Jackets Rubbing Alcohol Linings Skis
TV Cabinets Shag Rugs Electrician's Tape Tool Racks
Car Battery Cases Epoxy Paint Mops Slacks
Insect Repellent Oil Filters Umbrellas Yarn Fertilizers
Hair Coloring Roofing Toilet Seats Fishing Rods Lipstick
Denture Adhesive Linoleum Ice Cube Trays Synthetic Rubber
Speakers Plastic Wood Electric Blankets Glycerin
Tennis Rackets Rubber Cement Fishing Boots
Dice Nylon Rope Candles Trash Bags House Paint
Water Pipes Hand Lotion Roller Skates Surf Boards
Shampoo Wheels Paint Rollers Shower Curtains
Guitar Strings Luggage Aspirin Safety Glasses
Antifreeze Football Helmets Awnings Eyeglasses
Clothes Toothbrushes Ice Chests Footballs Combs
CD's & DVD's Paint Brushes Detergents Vaporizers
Balloons Sun Glasses Tents Heart Valves Crayons
Parachutes Telephones Enamel Pillows Dishes
Cameras Anesthetics Artificial Turf Artificial limbs Bandages
Dentures Model Cars Folding Doors Hair Curlers
Cold cream Movie film Soft Contact lenses Drinking Cups
Fan Belts Car Enamel Shaving Cream Ammonia
Refrigerators Golf Balls Toothpaste Gasoline

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

I think you need to re-watch the video. They said nothing about neutrinos. Most neutrinos coming from the sun pass through the entire planet Earth without interacting with anything, so it would be hard to use them in a LENR process.

Also your paraphrase confirms no heavier elements are produced, thus it's not really fusion:

www.merriam-webster.com...#

the union of atomic nuclei to form heavier nuclei

If heavier nuclei are formed as the dictionary defines fusion, what are the heavier nuclei?

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by NeoVain
Many of you have probably heard about the Rossi E-Cat by now, and so far there have been 2 camps here on ATS regarding this matter; the believers and the doubters(how unusual)

I think the following Video made by Nasa will clear this up pretty good, it pretty much means that the Rossi E-cat indeed, is real. Furthermore, it confirms scientists around the world are working around the clock to form a theory for this reaction, which while shown to be real, is so far lacking the theoretic science required to fully explain it, although substantial progress seem to have been made on this theory so far. We may eventually have to discard a few earlier theoretical assumptions to fit this one into mainstream popular science.

Video: technologygateway.nasa.gov...
Article: mnispel.net...
Further info: blog.newenergytimes.com...
edit on 12-1-2012 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-1-2012 by NeoVain because: (no reason given)

I just watched the 2 minute video. It speaks of Low Energy Nuclear Reactions (LENR). I am not educated enough to know if that is fusion, fission, or a 10 gigawatt time machine.

I do know that 1) The video is hosted at nasa.gov so it's real. 2) The guy talking about it is a very smart person

He is Dr. Joseph Zawodny who is a Senior Research Scientist, NASA Langley Research Center and says;

"This other form of nuclear power releases energy by adding neutrons. Eventually they gain a suffcient number of neutrons that they spontaneously decay into something of the same mass but a different element."

He goes on to say that the best immediate use of this would be to replace your water heater with a unit that provides electricity to your home, heats your water, and your home. He doesn't say how the machine works or on what type of fuel. But from listening it sounds like it will be some kind of nickel, iron, and hydrogen fuel. I'm sure some really smart person will make it into a nice block we can just put into the fuel box and be done for 10 years. ( I hope )

I'd say this is very, very exciting and I will save this information and buy it as soon as I can!

I hope this is rolled out very soon.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I'm a bit perplexed as to where these loose neutrons come from, and how much energy is required to either free or capture them. My gut tells me that the energy tends to balance out. Thermodynamics and all that. Furthermore, the reaction generates heat, this would make it uncomfortable to operate on a hot day... unless you pump the heat into the environment, which can't be good for global warming. Since the process releases neutrons, it would be nice to know their energy level. Neutron radiation can be deadly. Incidentally, somehow binding these neutrons to a nucleus is indeed fusion. When the nucleus splits apart again, releasing heat, that is fission. They are proposing a fusion-fission cycle... I suppose it's theoretically possible, but I don't see where the initial energy comes from.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by PutAQuarterIn
I had never heard of LENR so I searched it and found some reading.....I don't have a horse in this race but for anyone like me just hearing this term This seems to be a good starting read....or maybe someone more well versed in this can tell me if this info is less than creditable...
Some of the information in that source is not credible. Your Avatar and Eugene Mallove in particular may have something in common, not in complete control of their brain.

The US Navy has been trying to do real science, and now maybe NASA is trying that too but I must say NASA's approach with this video in the OP doesn't seem very scientific, it seems embarrassing. The link below is to an article where the US Navy claimed they found a breakthrough back in 2009. The response of the scientific community at that time was that the finding needed to be confirmed, and I don't know if it has.

esciencenews.com...

That's the way science is supposed to be done, by publishing a paper with the findings that other scientists can review. I would have expected something like this from NASA also, so I'm disappointed that's not what we got.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Thanks for the link in your post. Now I get it... we can fuel the world with our limitless supply of deuterium. I knew the energy budget looked fishy.

Edit to add: Although this is an exciting new process, it is basically just a complicated energy storage system; a battery.
edit on 13-1-2012 by DJW001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
I see the debate is still on as to whether Rossi has discovered a revolutionary energy source or not.
In an attempt to answer the question, I've emailed Avril Lavigne. Hope to hear from her soon.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join