It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to keep muscle during fasting?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I was wondering how do I keep my muscle during fasts? I have been thinking about doing water/juice,etc. fastings. I want to do some liver flushes,colon clenses,etc.
Is there any way to keep it? Thanks

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   
How long are you planning to fast? Short, like a day, or long like a week?

I've heard that if you only fast for no longer than 24 hours at a time, and do it once or twice (maximum) per week, you won't lose muscle.

Or just adopt a really clean style of eating - natural foods only - no packaged, processed, or premade by someone else, and lots of fruits and vegies, it's also cleansing.

edit on 12-1-2012 by snowspirit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Yeah. That's important. A one day fast won't lead to much muscle catabolism. Anything longer than a day and you'll progressively have muscle loss.

A juice fast will help. Without the juice, the body will get glucose first from glycogen in the liver; but once that's depleted, glucose is made from muscle protein through a process called gluconeogenesis.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit
How long are you planning to fast? Short, like a day, or long like a week?

I've heard that if you only fast for no longer than 24 hours at a time, and do it once or twice (maximum) per week, you won't lose muscle.

Or just adopt a really clean style of eating - natural foods only - no packaged, processed, or premade by someone else, and lots of fruits and vegies, it's also cleansing.

For a start 1-2 days long,but I want to prolong it to 1-2 weeks over time. 3 weeks is my goal.

I would rather do the cleansing first, and then change the diet.
Thanks

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Farnhold

3 weeks

Is that even safe? What about your blood sugar? Or your blood pressure? They could both drop too much. Monitor them.
I have a high metabolism, that would kill me, I'm sure.

Be careful, make sure friends and family and doctor know what you're doing.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

3 weeks

Is that even safe? What about your blood sugar? Or your blood pressure? They could both drop too much. Monitor them.
I have a high metabolism, that would kill me, I'm sure.

Be careful, make sure friends and family and doctor know what you're doing.

I think it is, if you are trained enough
Uff, not sure about my blood sugar and blood pressure, havent checked them a looong time. But I too have a higher metabolism, I am very slim
. But I guess there is some kind of prevention. Damn, I am jealous of fat people, they can do as many fastings as they want

Sure
I plan to do them because of my seborrhoeic dermatitis, I want to cure it. So far I've had it for 4 months and nothing helped :/. And I want to avoid using anything topically, because it doesnt really cure anything, it just gets rid of symptoms (btw,even many topical treatements, both natural and convencional/chemical didnt work) and not heal the core of the problem. I have to adress my intestines.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:58 PM
link   
You don't. If you don't get significant caloric intake your body will start burning muscle for energy.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by apodictic
You don't. If you don't get significant caloric intake your body will start burning muscle for energy.

Then how am I supposed to heal my intestines and detoxicate myself at the same time?
I am willing to try anything, even controversial stuff.
I know urine therapy is very good,and that is what I am planning to do anyway, but I still think it wont heal everything.
Is there anything else that is very effective and perhaps costs as little as possible?
Even if it costs lot of money, I just need something very effective.
Thanks

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:08 PM
link   

If you go to a supplement shop like GNC you can buy weight gainer shake powders that are full of calories, protein, and carbs. You can get that all through liquid if you drink a couple of those a day. If not, you might have to sacrifice a little bit of mass to reach your goal. Muscle memory should help you build back up what you lost quickly, though.
edit on 12-1-2012 by apodictic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   

Sure . I plan to do them because of my seborrhoeic dermatitis, I want to cure it. So far I've had it for 4 months and nothing helped :/. And I want to avoid using anything topically, because it doesnt really cure anything, it just gets rid of symptoms (btw,even many topical treatements, both natural and convencional/chemical didnt work) and not heal the core of the problem. I have to adress my intestines.

Have you tried increasing your healthy oils, like omega 3? Maybe you need more of the good healthy fatty acids in your body. They work wonders for other stuff too, so it wouldn't hurt to look into it.

This site has some curative (maybe) info.
curezone.com...

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I have a friend who did a 21 day fast a few times over the years, a real healthy man , and iʻve seen him go from 220 -180 on nothing but water and juice here and there

ive don 3 day fasts and can drop 10-13 lbs easy. It really depends on your body type

then i have friends who gone 3 day and drop 5lbs at the most. nothing but water and juice here and there

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DarkwingDuck82

On a 3 day fast, most of the weight lost will be water, fat and, to some extent, glycogen.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Look into the GAPS diet if you're looking to heal your gut. The beginning portion is somewhat of a detox. Have you cut out gluten? I know two people who have dermatitis as a symptom of gluten intolerance. It is a common celiac symptom as well as a symptom of other food intolerances. The GAPS diet aims to heal the intestinal lining and balance the flora.

If you fast you might find improvement in your symptoms if they are caused by a food intolerance, but will come back when you return to your normal diet.
edit on 15-1-2012 by kalamatas because: typo

posted on Jan, 17 2012 @ 09:43 PM
link   
I'm currently doing a juice fast. I have more weight to lose than most. Plan on doing it for ten days with a possibility of extending it past the ten days if the results are good. So far I've noticed that my sinuses are cleared (haven't really been able to breathe well through my nose much for the last two years) problem caused by my years of poor nutrition. I too am worried about muscle loss. I have no doubt though that cleansing your body with a juice fast may help with any ailments you are currently experiencing. I'm basically doing the same method used in the documentary "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead".
edit on 17-1-2012 by croweboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 18 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   
I believe the gains of cleansing your system would outweight the minute loss of muscle - especially considering your body type, you may be able to put that muscle back on very quickly. Here is my advice - do the fast and then start by doing weight training - lifting heavy weight with many repetitions. Afterwards each workout, supplement your body with protein and a little bit of carbohydrates. A time gap of 0 to 1 hour 30 minutes of your workout is when you should take the protein shake and a little carbohydrates. I am not suggesting stuffing your body with loads and loads of protein and carbohydrates because studies show that muscle repair doesn't require an exorbitant amount of protein and carbohydrates

new topics

top topics

join