It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Protesters mark Guantanamo prison's 10th anniversary

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I didn't realize that the United States has occupied the Guantanamo Bay naval base for more than a century until I read a New York Times editorial ("Give Guantánamo Back to Cuba") today.

While today's demonstrations mark the 10th anniversary of the detention camp, it's only the latest chapter in a sad history of Cuban-American relations.

I fully agree with the statements below.

IN the 10 years since the Guantánamo detention camp opened, the anguished debate over whether to shutter the facility — or make it permanent — has obscured a deeper failure that dates back more than a century and implicates all Americans: namely, our continued occupation of Guantánamo itself. It is past time to return this imperialist enclave to Cuba.

I will leave you with this final quote by the author. He really drives home the fact that our interventionist military has been in affect for much longer than we all realize.

From the moment the United States government forced Cuba to lease the Guantánamo Bay naval base to us, in June 1901, the American presence there has been more than a thorn in Cuba’s side. It has served to remind the world of America’s long history of interventionist militarism.

When will it end??

Original Source

join