It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Anti-gravity road’ discovered

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   
There are several places in the world that claim to have "anti-gravity roads", so here is another to add to the list. My opinion is that many of them can be explained simply because they are optical illusions. As a matter of fact, I live about ten miles from one such road. It was a great source of entertainment when we were young.

We would get our car really dusty, take someone that didn't know about the anti-gravity road, or gravity hill as we called it, get them out of the car so that they could see the road looked like it slanted upward, tell them the story of how a ghost pushes the car, then we would get back in and take the car out of gear....sure enough, the car would travel "uphill". When we stopped we would get them back out of the car and show them the "ghost handprints" that pushed the car. What they didn't know was that we put the handprints on the back of the car when we were showing them the road.
Over the years we have done that to many people, and we have also shown that it's just an optical illusion.

I'm a little sceptical about people stating such things as this new "anti-gravity road" until I see hard science behind it.......but here's the story.

I'm not sure what is the proper forum for this, but since it's concerning gravity I'll place it in the Science forum. Mods please move this if needed.

www.bangaloremirror.com...

A strange phenomenon at a stretch of road near Tulsi Shyam in Amreli district of Gujarat, where vehicles, if left in free-gear and without hand-brake, would start rolling up the hill against the gravitational pull, has left scientists and the state government bewildered.

The unusual occurrence, which was first noticed by Ratilal Parmar, a businessman, and his friends, on way from Tulsi Shyam to Madhad village about 10 days ago, has made the government and experts curious, who are trying to find out the possible causes before it becomes another place of tourist attraction.

Ratilal, a businessman from Morvi, who claims to have discovered the phenomenon, however maintains that he has revisited the stretch several times since then and has a video recording of the strange occurrence. Apart from handing over the copy of a CD to the government to probe, he has also put it on Youtube

“That day we all were travelling in the car. We wanted to ease ourselves and stopped the vehicle. The driver also got down with us. Soon I noticed our car rolling up the hill. I asked the driver if he had left the engine on. But he was dumbfounded and showed me the car keys to show he had switched off the vehicle before getting down. But he had left the car in neutral gear without applying hand brake,” he said.

A surprised Ratilal later narrated the incident to his friend Khumansinh Mori, a police official at Amreli. Curious , he accompanied Ratilal to the stretch again. Like the previous occasion, the vehicle slowly moved upwards and stopped only after covering a distance of about 110 feet.

“We also poured some water at the spot and found that it instead of going downwards in line with the gravitational pull, it made way in the upward direction,” said Ratilal.

“There have been reports of a similar phenomenon being seen at a stretch in Ladakh (Jammu and Kashmir) but this could be first of its kind in Gujarat. Scientists and geological experts are looking into various aspects and causes which could lead to such strange occurrences,” he said.

A few studies with regard to similar stretches across the world have triggered wild speculation about the cause, with some suggesting it could be due to the gravitational pull from dark matter that exists on a parallel universe! Others talk of optical illusion or magnetic and gravitational anomalies.

deshgujarat.com...
www.ahmedabadmirror.com...
edit on 12-1-2012 by isyeye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Gave you a star for the story but Bangalore news...Got suspect it is a ghost hill myself. I love optical illusions though!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
WOW, do you live in Arkansas???? We used to do the same thing., take someone out to this stretch of road, and tell them that this horrific bus crash had occured there in the past, and that the ghosts would push the car, to get it away from that stretch of road, crazy lol The funny thing is, it worked everytime, only because we were actually going down hill.

edit on 12-1-2012 by Glassbender777 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Found the video for you.
Very strange indeed

www.youtube.com/watch?v=36vYPRmJelo

Can Mods fix this please???
edit on 12-1-2012 by Corrupted Data because: Faulty youtube link

edit on Thu Jan 12 2012 by Jbird because: fixed embed link

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage
Gave you a star for the story but Bangalore news...Got suspect it is a ghost hill myself. I love optical illusions though!

There's supposedly a road in Scotland which shares the same properties. It's to do with the gradient and the camber of the road.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I've seen this before. Its pretty amazing

reply to post by Corrupted Data

edit on 12-1-2012 by BelowPublicKnowledge because: (no reason given)

link   
Some place in the states does this as well. SyFy covered it in their show Fact or Faked: Paranormal Files. Pretty cool.

link   
The one near us in Oregon at Goldhill is a magnetic anomaly. That is a proven fact, they believe their maybe a large magnetic ore deposit deep below it. But really if they think that why not dig until you find out. it does not have a place where cars roll "uphill" nut there are other illusions done to make the are seem more mysterious. I actually felt dizzy and my stomach was queasy in one are of the place.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   
It is actually an illusion, and it is truely downhill. This was explained to me in a local cave that a ball supposedly rolls uphill in.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyingSpaghettiMonster

There's supposedly a road in Scotland which shares the same properties. It's to do with the gradient and the camber of the road.

Actually I know this. I had meant the OP's description of creating a Ghost hill (hoax). Not the real deal an optical illiusion.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Glassbender777
WOW, do you live in Arkansas???? We used to do the same thing., take someone out to this stretch of road, and tell them that this horrific bus crash had occured there in the past, and that the ghosts would push the car, to get it away from that stretch of road, crazy lol The funny thing is, it worked everytime, only because we were actually going down hill.

edit on 12-1-2012 by Glassbender777 because: (no reason given)

Pretty close.....I live in Kentucky.....Must be that backwoods sense of humor we share.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyingSpaghettiMonster

There is, I've been there many times. It's called the Electric Brae and it's located in Ayrshire on the west coast of Scotland. It's an optical illusion but I can remember loving it when we stopped off there when I was a child. Of course it was only later when I learned the true nature of the brae that I realised the fun my dad had been having with both myself and my brother.

This thread brings back many good memories for me of my Dad who has since passed away and of the times I had with him and also my brother when we were children. Thanks for posting it.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:50 PM
link   
When I was younger, in my teens while custom cutting wheat, I discovered a road in Montana that has a lot less gravity than any place else I have ever noticed. The roads in that particular area are very steep up and down. In a 10 speed truck at the top of some of the hills in that area you simply slowed down to 2nd gear at the top and started going through the gears at a quick pace and be topping out in rpms in 10th at the bottom of the hills, and these hills were greater than a 45 degree angle when going up and down them.

One hill in particular on the highway was a much longer hill going up, probably about a half a mile or so going up on about a 30 degree angle. Strangley enough I could go up through the gears going up the hill with no problem, as a matter of fact it seemed like I was going down a gentle hill because I didn't need to rev the engine rpms like you usually do going up hill in order to catch a gear.

There must be a lot of gas under that hill, because that;s similar to a method used to discover gas pockets over oil deposits. That method used to be used quite a lot in the old days to discover large gas and oil fields.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:09 PM
link   
reply to post by RussianScientists

Or it was actually an optical illusion, and you were actually going downhill

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   
There's one near me, also about ten miles away at the Spelga dam in County Down. Here's a general listing,

www.forteantimes.com...

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:27 PM
link   
there seems to be a very large list of 'gravity hills' on wiki :

List of Gravity Hills

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Tell those folks to buy a cheap level at the local Wally World. That would end or prove their claim.

Of course, the "anti-gravity" part is bogus anyway. A slight gravitational anomalous is not unknown next to a towering mountain range but not enough to move a vehicle on a level road. But actually, the car wouldn't move anyway unless the ground was sloped in that direction. Gravity doesn't work well sideways.

Perhaps the aliens are somewhere out ahead there in a secret cave and have a tractor beam pulling on the cars? Or there is a need for more tourist to the area?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aliensun
Tell those folks to buy a cheap level at the local Wally World. That would end or prove their claim.

Of course, the "anti-gravity" part is bogus anyway. A slight gravitational anomalous is not unknown next to a towering mountain range but not enough to move a vehicle on a level road. But actually, the car wouldn't move anyway unless the ground was sloped in that direction. Gravity doesn't work well sideways.

Perhaps the aliens are somewhere out ahead there in a secret cave and have a tractor beam pulling on the cars? Or there is a need for more tourist to the area?

the Spelga illusion road/s, are illusions and well known, a bit of fun. The gravitational 'anomaly' is more likely a calculation based on the true Zenith from the Earth's centre, and whatever toys there are in that field.

www.youtube.com...

edit on 12-1-2012 by smurfy because: Link.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by smurfy

When I was a teenager we had place we'd go hang out (before it got built up). The illusion was really strong. Even when you knew what was going on you couldn't convince your brain that your eyes were lying to you about the slope.

The houses on the cul de sac have now ruined it. Our cars were indeed rolling downhill.

edit on 1/12/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
reply to post by smurfy

When I was a teenager we had place we'd go hang out (before it got built up). The illusion was really strong. Even when you knew what was going on you couldn't convince your brain that your eyes were lying to you about the slope.

The houses on the cul de sac have now ruined it. Our cars were indeed rolling downhill.

edit on 1/12/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

I know what you mean, the Spelga dam one near me is an exceptionally strong illusion because the road is so short, (dead end in fact) and unambiguous looking, and at right angles to the dam. Mind you, gravity is still a mystery for me or rather, energy and gravity in opposition, stuff like that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join