It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Soapy: Can This Plug-In Kill SOPA?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Soapy: Can This Plug-In Kill SOPA?

news.yahoo.com

Like crispy bacon, I crave censorship circumvention," reads the website for Soapy, a Firefox plug-in that will allow users to visit websites blocked by the Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) if it is passed.

SOPA, intended to punish copyright infringement on the web, has caused quite a stir in the Internet community. Thousands of people, including tech giants such as Facebook and Google , have opposed the bill, saying it would effectively censor the web and place unfair demands on content providers -- who would be responsible for all copyright infringements on their site, even if those infring
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:57 AM
link   
One central problem is that SOPA is a foot in the door for the Great Firewall of the USA. How long will it take the Federal government to use the new capabilities block U.S. access to all the WikiLeaks cables, massacre videos from the wars, or information embarrassing to certain officials?

Yes, Chinese activists do find ways around, sometimes go to prison, and it’s an ongoing battle. I for one dont want to live like that! Is this all that’s left of the historic U.S. tradition of free speech...

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:31 PM
link   
I can't see it lasting to be perfectly honest... SOPA if enforced fairly (As in equally tough on all sites) would kill google, and facebook, and youtube and wikipedia.

Now even your stereotypical - watches tv and sits on the computer all day doesn't know anything about anything - type of person would noticed and be rather annoyed at those going dark. This bill is actually the one thing that would force "sheeple"* to stand up and fight back...because they'd need to, to get back their easy living lifestyle.

It's one thing fighting against a few thousand people who read the news and research it in depth, it's quite another going against millions of people.

*I hate that word but you know what I mean.
edit on 12-1-2012 by StevenDye because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by joyride0187

This plug-in will not work if the government is truly going to block these sites. If they are only going to disable DNS entries then yes, but a better means would be not allowing the servers to even have access in routing tables on the backbone.

You would only be able to access the server if you had a direct link or a sub-network for routing already directly connected.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Trouble with these plug-ins is how do we know that they weren't created by DHS or CIA etc, so that they can actually MONITOR those that are trying to AVOID these blocks?

Great way to get a list of potential dissenters...

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:21 PM
link   
reply to post by SpaceJockey1

Well.. you can fairly easily create the plug-in yourself if you are worried about something like that. But as I said if they are serious about blocking the sites it won't even matter what plug-in you use.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   
I realy don't see this bill going live. There's to much money against it.
edit on 12-1-2012 by Cyanhide because: (no reason given)

top topics

join