It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boys’ And Girls’ Locker Room? Calif. Bill Would Blur School ‘Gender Identity’ Rules

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — Days after a landmark law went into effect requiring California schools to teach about gay historical figures, a new piece of proposed legislation is likely to spark even more controversy.
Sponsored by Assemblyman Tom Ammiano (D-San Francisco), AB 266 would require schools to allow students to play on sports teams according to their “gender identity” and not their biological sex.

The bill — which is currently before the Assembly Education Committee — was initially aimed at resolving conflicts among local governments “and other interests” through the creation of a state sports commission.

However, revised language in the proposed bill would mandate that students “shall be permitted to participate in sex-segregated school programs, activities, and facilities, including athletic teams and competitions, consistent with his or her gender identity, irrespective of the gender listed on the pupil’s records”.

Under the proposal, a boy who claims a female “gender identity”, for example, would have the right to try out for a girls sports team.

In addition, the bill would also require opposite-sex access to “sex-segregated facilities” that could possible include locker rooms.

Ammiano claims to be the first San Francisco public school teacher “to make his sexual orientation a matter of public knowledge”.

In 1977, he worked with prominent gay activist Harvey Milk to defeat an effort that would have prohibited gay teachers from working in California.

Assemblyman Don Wagner (R-Irvine) is among those on the Assembly Education Committee set for a hearing on the bill on Wednesday.

link to article

so, how far will they push the envelope?
teaching about 2 mommies is one thing, but some of the stuff in the srticle is obviously, to me anyhow, going a bit too far.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

I'm firmly in the Live and Let Live camp.
I don't care who marries who, or women's right to choose is her own.

But this is wrong on so many levels. Ya, there has to be a line , and this crosses it.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   
reply to post by Tw0Sides

How many levels exactly are you talking about here?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:19 AM
link   
I think if they (as in government) are going down this route then they need to perhaps take a leaf out of (I believe) the Thai examples and create a 3rd set of facilities for those caught in the Gender middle ground.. I realise that might cause more stigma for those with gender identity issues, but it seems to me to be the best all round approach.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Goradd
reply to post by Tw0Sides

How many levels exactly are you talking about here?

Well, as I said , I,m for people being themselves.

But this would infringe on other students rights, some may not be comfortable with 'gender identity ' people changing in the same rooms. But this law would force G I folks upon the student body , and their right of choice will be violated then.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:37 AM
link   
You mean transgender people, "GI folks".. like myself.

Okay. Let's play ball. You have most likely met many transgender individuals, and never known it. 99% of these transgender kids, no one they're playing with will have any clue they're not the biological sex they're passing as. Gender and sex (genetic) are two different things entirely.

No kid in their right mind would try joining a sports team or whatever if they were *not* able to pass as that sex. I'm only 17 and I can't .. that would be an absolute nightmare!

So..

If you have the typical generic kneejerk reaction to transgendered kids, read my nicefancy intro thread that might alleviate some of your (mostly unfounded) fears.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by zanysami

No kid in their right mind would try joining a sports team or whatever if they were *not* able to pass as that sex. I'm only 17 and I can't .. that would be an absolute nightmare!

yet, what they want to do is bring it out in the open so they can join.
maybe kids in their right mind would be comfortable joining?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I don't care what gender anyone want to be, but if you are joining something that categorizes by biological sex, like sports team, clubs, other activities, then you better join by what you have in your pants instead of what you want it to be. Last thing i want is unfair advantage because its in the law.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp

got nothing against LBGT folks at all, as long as they are out of the closet and honest,
1st and foremost with themselves

politicians are notorious lies and fakes
sounds like somebody needs to go thru this guys closet to me

but this forcing it on people who may not like it
and will set the stage for rapes and violence and secret perversions

probably the goal,
then they'll come up with...

MORE LAWS!!!

yep, smells like problem=>reaction=solution

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp
reply to post by zanysami

yet, what they want to do is bring it out in the open so they can join.
maybe kids in their right mind would be comfortable joining?

If you read the article, you'd notice that they said the issue is that the childrens' records were what prevented them from joining the teams in the first place, probably because some arsehead bigot in the school or district decided to make a big deal about it when they found out. This happens all the time, even in California.

People don't bother to take the time to try and understand.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 04:48 AM
link   
Why not just have one locker room for all.

It would save millions for the school budget and maybe they can do it like Germany and have both co-ed locker rooms and nude swimming pools.

I am a nudist so it would not bother me one bit.

though i don't think to may teenage boys could keep the flag pole down

edit on 15-1-2012 by ANNED because: (no reason given)

top topics

join