It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

INSOMNIA!!! Why can't I sleep?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by TOMFROMOZ

Have you tried taking Advil PM? take 2 and you'll sleep like a baby... don't be surprised if you are 2 hours late for work and you begin to call your boss

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:14 PM
link   
Righto I have no idea if anybody still following this thread but I'll chat to myself if I have to. Its now 3:15am and I'm still up. I'm perplexed as to why I'm not comatosed with the lack of sleep ive had. It's kinda a little worrying. Perhaps a trip to the doctor is in order but I can already see how that will play out...

First I'll make the appointment..
Then I'll google my symptoms and make my own diagnosis..
Then off to docs..
Get told by docs exactly the diagnosis I learnt off google..
Prescription for some dodgy knock out drug like Stillnox..
Back to square one cause I ain't poppin pills..

This blows!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by CrazyRaccoon

Hey there is still people about
thanks for stopping by!
As far as your suggestion, I'm not really up for poppin pills. Fortunately I'm between jobs and the new one doesn't start for another fortnight so here's hoping I get on top of this before then.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by imawlinn

A decrease in melatonin results in loss of appetite and insomnia check out this thread I made.
Can't sleep?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Have you tried exercise?
runningresearchnews.com...

Does running improve sleep quality?

People who exercise claim they fall asleep faster, have deeper sleep, wake up less often, and feel less tired during the day. Although these claims are difficult to verify, scientists have shown that people who exercise regularly and intensely spend more time in stage 3 and 4 slow-wave sleep (O’Connor et al. 1995, Kubitz et al. 1996). Trinder et al. (1985) for example, found that fit runners, who average 45 miles/week, spend 87 minutes in slow-wave sleep, 13 minutes or 18% longer than deconditioned people.

Brassington et al. (1995) concluded that physically active older men and women slept longer, took less time to fall asleep, and were more alert during the day than sedentary older people. Sherrill et al. (1998) studied 722 adults and found that men and women who exercised regularly had fewer sleep disorders. G. Passoss (in her presentation at the 2008 Annual Meeting of Associated Professional Sleep Societies) stated that patients with chronic insomnia who did moderate aerobic exercise drifted off to sleep 54% faster than other groups, and slept 37% longer (Passoss 2008).

Several other studies have shown that when people first take up running (and other endurance sports), their sleep quality is improved, and that exercising longer than 1 hour further improves sleep quality (Youngsted 1997, Youngsted et al. 1997). Shapiro et al (1984) found that the sleep quality of army recruits improved during 18 weeks of basic training, with most positive effects occurring in the first 9 weeks. A caveat here though; severe and prolonged exercise such as that experienced in ultrarunning and marathon events, may actually disrupt sleep (Montgomery et al. 1985).

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
I suffer badly from insomnia and find a breathing exercise can help. There are three suggested in this link:

yogainspires.co.uk...’s-sleep-without-drugs/

I've been particularly nocturnal over the last couple of weeks - bedtime getting later and later and still no easy way to drop off. I'm lucky that when I'm asleep I tend to stay asleep for a reasonable amount of time.

Are you waking up after just a few hours because you want to get up or because you can't stay asleep? I'd suggest staying in bed all day if you can manage it.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by HeFrippedMeOff

I learned this in a Neuropsychology class:

A small carbohydrate snack (tablespoon of peanut butter and glass of milk) just before bedtime will flush the system of insulin allowing melatonin to take effect. In about 20 or 30 minutes you should be asleep.

Try it out. It works for me.

I am going to try this one out. ty

this is interesting, I wonder how many people are suffering from insomnia? Maybe there is more to it??

I am in Australia too and suffering insomnia!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 05:09 AM
link   
reply to post by NotApplicable

Having a look now. Just got home after a long day at work. Funny thing is though, I feel fine today. Not the slightest hint of exhaustion which hasn't been the case the last few days. Perhaps I will sleep tonight.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Yeah I excercize regularly and work a physical job so even if I'm burnt out from physical activity, it doesn't seem to help. It's rather strange in every aspect, nothing seems to work!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 05:15 AM
link   
reply to post by berenike

I was taught how to lower my heart rate with a certain relaxation method. I also learnt to lower my breath per minute rate and can get it to as low as 2 breaths per minute. I learnt this to combat my poor sleeping ability which I've had as long as I can remember. But this latest drama is an entirely different kettle of fish. Nothing works!!!!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

There's a link to a thread on the first page of this one with a thought bout what this is. Not sure I feel the same as some of the posters in that thread but you never know. Check it out with an open mind.

Off topic: being an Aussie are you into the cricket? If so, how good was Warner's innings today

If not forget I said anything haha!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 05:20 AM
link   

hahah I don't really follow the cricket, especially the 'Shurly' sagas.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 05:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

Fair enough haha just checking

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Night 6! It's shaping up to be a repeat of the last five. Almost 12:30am and not the slightest bit tired. I'm assuming this thread has lost almost all attention but I might as well keep documenting this somewhere regardless of who sees it.
edit on 13/1/2012 by TOMFROMOZ because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I went for a run this evening after dinner, I've begun breathing exercises and also had a glass of milk before bed time. I haven't had a cigarette all day, I ate well, oh and I read 12 chapters of my book after watching tv for a while. I'm comfy, very relaxed just not tired. WTF!!

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I'm gunna go look for ufos. I'll keep you all posted

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   

If we don't hear from you shall we assume you're asleep or abducted ??

Sweet dreams

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Maybe try eating some turkey.
It has this in it.
en.wikipedia.org...
or you can take the supplement form of it.

At this point you probably need a little xanax or something along those lines.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
I finally did get some sleep... Keyword "SOME" last night in fact being Saturday night 14th Jan where I live. It was a week since I last had any significant sleep and I slept for 5 1/2 hrs which was more than I had slept over the last week combined. Things are looking up hopefully tonight with a bit of luck I can repeat the feat

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join