It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it even possible to go to the Moon?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Brasov

Welcome to my thread. I am usually keen to keep it rigorously on topic, but I am curious to know how you would respond to the statement: "Yuri Gagarin was a homosexual." Be seeing you.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by DJW001
reply to post by Brasov

Welcome to my thread. I am usually keen to keep it rigorously on topic, but I am curious to know how you would respond to the statement: "Yuri Gagarin was a homosexual." Be seeing you.

Oh sooooo taunnnnntiiiingggg!

Shouldn't you worry first about the sexuality of people a bit closer to yourself?

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Remember this....

What I am proposing to do in this thread is open up a debate, not upon the historical record, but upon the fundamental disagreement between the various sides.

You got what you asked for.........DJ

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Brasov

Oh sooooo taunnnnntiiiingggg!

Well spotted.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Well spotted.

Well, Captain Obvious wears a giant target painted on his chest...

jra

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Brasov
It's hard to believe that in less than 10 years the U.S can go from ignoring what an artificial satellite is to interplanetary manned travel.

Do you have any evidence that it's not possible to go from no manned space flight to sending people to the Moon in a little over a decade? Given enough money and political and public will.

Even with today's technology we're content with placing junk at 300Km altitude and we don't always succeed.

Well we place "junk" at more than just 300km. We have satellites and probes all over the place, in orbit around many different planets, some traveling out of the solar system as we speak. But yes, even with today's technology, things can still fail. Nothing is infallible. That doesn't mean that it's impossible to travel to the Moon.

This astro-nots heroes of mankind have avoiding interviews for more than 40 years because they haven't yet recovered from the shock of their magic trip

What are you talking about? Many of the Apollo astronauts have given interviews, even Niel Armstrong who tends to stay out of the limelight. Try watching some Apollo related documentaries first before attempting to make a claim like that.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Not wanting to change the parameters of the subject but shouldn't the question have been
"Can we get people to the moon today and return them safely?"
Can we get them to the moon? Sure. And we could also get an old chevy engine, a few hundred copies of Kurt Vonnegut books and/or a kitchen sink. I don't think anyone seriously doubts we could get anything to the moon. But people? Now you have to deal with doing it safely and returning them. Slightly different question

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by Puck 22

Sure. And we could also get an old chevy engine, a few hundred copies of Kurt Vonnegut books and/or a kitchen sink.

LOL!!! LOL, LOL, LOL!!!!

I am on the floor, literally....LMAO!!

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   
Some of you guy's are Killing Me! I have never understood why anyone would believe it would be imposible or even difficult to go to the Moon with Human passengers. Sure...when It was done in 1969...the U.S. was just in it's infancy in the use of Computers as well as our child like knowledge...as apossed to now...about metalurgy and the effects of Micro Gravity on a Human Being.

But the Moon landings being claimed to be a Hoax...is just stupidity as it was so easy to verify that the Lunar Lander had touched down and was sending radio broadcasts back to Earth. These radio contacts were observer all over the world and in much detail in any country that had a good size Radio Dish or Radio Telescope.

What would be a near impossibility would be to have multiple sites on the Earth be able to use these signals to fix the landers as well as lunar orbiters position had it been a hoax. The proof is undeniable so I CHALLENGE ANYONE HERE to provide any viable concept that what I have just described could have been hoaxed!

Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I have a strong suspicion this is turning into one of those threads that never ends.

I thought by now the VAB question would be squashed, as well as the hardware, and the money, the math, and everything else involved.

What is it that is so unbelievable that we CAN go to the moon? We had the technology back in 1969, and we still have that technology and better. Regardless the argument that it was done then, it can be done now.

A bit off topic, but, how many people that believe or are convinced for whatever reason that we can NOT go to the moon, believe in aliens? Just curious.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 12:53 AM
link   
reply to post by SplitInfinity

Were there multiple recordings done from countries around the world? Serious question? I haven't come across any?

Would it be possible that they transmitted from the capsule in LEO? Taking in account the pre-recorded theory?

The only radio/tv broadcast I know of is here in Aus and was at Parkes. We actualy saw the broadcast 0.3 seconds before everyone else!!

Here's a good link

www.csiro.au...

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno
reply to post by SplitInfinity

Were there multiple recordings done from countries around the world? Serious question? I haven't come across any?

Would it be possible that they transmitted from the capsule in LEO? Taking in account the pre-recorded theory?

The only radio/tv broadcast I know of is here in Aus and was at Parkes. We actualy saw the broadcast 0.3 seconds before everyone else!!

Here's a good link

www.csiro.au...

As the Moon missions were taking place...anyone with a HAM radio or just about any airport around the world that was in allignment with the the Lunar Lander and orbiter...could listen in on the radio communication between the Astronauts and Huston or the Cape or any other array such as the one in Australia.

All these recieverships give the ability of anyone with a bit of knowledge to track and triangulate the crafts position and direction of travel. The Russians were paying close attention to the missions and followed the progress of each mission and never once debated the reality of the landings. Thay alone should tell you something.

Traveling to the Moon is not that difficult...landing back then needed skill but using todays tech...it would be simple. Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by jra

Do you have any evidence that it's not possible to go from no manned space flight to sending people to the Moon in a little over a decade? Given enough money and political and public will.

If it was just a matter of money or politics then the 10th century cruisaders would have been able to go to he Moon. No, I was referring just to lack of technology. I doon't have proof, no one can have proof of a negative like NOT going to the Moon. Can you proove the criuisaders didn't go to the Moon?

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Brasov

If it was just a matter of money or politics then the 10th century cruisaders would have been able to go to he Moon. No, I was referring just to lack of technology. I doon't have proof, no one can have proof of a negative like NOT going to the Moon. Can you proove the criuisaders didn't go to the Moon?

You are missing the point of the thread. The question is not whether or not anyone has actually gone to the Moon; the question is whether or not it is even possible to got to the Moon. The Soviets claimed that they sent probes to the Moon which landed and returned samples of lunar material to the Earth. If we can believe them, that would prove that the technology to accomplish this existed in 1969, but that's not the point. So far, no-one has provided anything more than their opinion.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
reply to post by nineix

I have a strong suspicion this is turning into one of those threads that never ends.

I thought by now the VAB question would be squashed, as well as the hardware, and the money, the math, and everything else involved.

So far no-one has offered anything but their opinion that it is impossible; doing actual research might threaten their opinion.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Brasov

Yes, they didn't have advanced enough knowledge in metallurgy to make an AK-47, no means of cooling LOX, had no petroleum distillation plants to make kerosine, and were centuries from creating Tang! If they did it would have changed the world.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

You are missing the point of the thread. The question is not whether or not anyone has actually gone to the Moon; the question is whether or not it is even possible to got to the Moon.

The problem with the topic in this thread is that the best you can get is an honest answer from a lay person who doesn't know much physics, metallurgy, chemistry, radiobiology etc. It can work either way, from an enthusiastic "sure why not? We can go to the Moon" to "nah, radiation belts will toast the pilot". It's a crapshoot. What's the value of that?

Try asking people whether it's possible to have a controlled nuclear reaction. I wonder what exactly reasoning they will offer. Who knows, maybe all the nuclear reactors are fake.

The point that I just made is this: 99.9% people will miss the fact that it's devilishly difficult to design and build a functional and safe reactor. When exposed to a large neutron flux, most materials will "creep", become spongy and change their dimensions by sometimes dozens of percent. Try engineering something like that! Then there are all sorts of stability problems with the iodine pit. And of course if you run too hot you will produce H2 and O2 which have the potential to blow up the reactor (Chernobyl anyone?).

And most everybody is ignorant of that and doesn't question whether managing all that complexity is possible. The Moon, however, is out there for all to admire. So people have opinions, you see.

So imho the OP does not serve any useful purpose.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by SayonaraJupiter
reply to post by DJW001

Is it even possible to go to the Moon?

The way to answer the question is for some agency to publicly demonstrate that ability. Having scientific papers in hand doesn't automatically translate to a demonstration of an ability.

There is only one agency who has ever claimed to demonstrate this ability. As I pointed out "NASA" is often a misnomer for the military-industrial-complex, including, all the component contractors, planning contractors, the plumbers and the Pentagon itself. And like I pointed out there needs to be the political willpower and significant money & resources. So it goes in this order, I'm changing the percentages a little bit:

1. political willpower 49.5%
2. money & resources 49.5%
3. demonstrate the ability 1%

Is it even possible to go to the Moon? My answer has to be "no".

You just contradicted yourself. LOL!

BTW, Russia agrees it was demonstrated for all of that 1% is worth.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddhasystem

Originally posted by UB2120
reply to post by DJW001

I think they have been to the moon, but that we have been lied to. I think what we have been told and what we have seen has been staged.

And what is the base for such thoughts and beliefs?

The photographic and video evidence that has been released from the moon missions have a lot of unexplained anomalies. One that has always stuck out to me were the shadows. There are pictures and video that show shadows with different angles which suggests either altered pictures or artificial lighting. Also video of astronauts walking and their shadow growing or shrinking. That does not happen unless you are using artificial lighting.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudBird
reply to post by UB2120

From Men in Black, "...a person is smart, but people are stupid...."

"Nuff said.....THIS is indicative of the mindset that (unfortunately) is going to be the next "Generation" of Human "intelligence" for a while.....until we grow out of it......(Someday.....??)

I for one have hope that humanity will grow out of this. I think we are seeing the beginning now. I believe the Internet has helped spread ideas quicker and to a larger number of people than anything that has ever existed. The time aspect is the important part to me, if enough people embrace change at the same time there is a greater chance it will take hold.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join