It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it even possible to go to the Moon?

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by SayonaraJupiter

I identified two problem areas that plague the Apollo/Moon discussions, conceptual straw man and misnomers.

I was not presenting an argument, but an analysis. Can you indicate a single post on this thread that does not conform to the broad categories I have outlined?

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by stagglyone
I've got four words for you guys. Van Allen radiation belts. Nuff said. The whole argument that they can measure the distance and even the latest "images" that suppossedly show the landers, all done remotely with robots. The russians had been doing that for years before we faked our landing

The Van Allen radiation belts are not a problem at all.

It is easy to shield the spacecraft from that threat.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SayonaraJupiter
reply to post by SplitInfinity

Well if it's not a huge challenge then why don't we go there for $1 billion. That is the same cost of the average shuttle mission, am I right?

The Shuttle misions endd up being too expensive also. What would be the point of returning to the Moon? We are at a point in History where most of the science that we want to do can be done Roboticly at less than 10% of the cost of sending Humans.

The United States is also at an important point in time where it must decide whether to either spend Billions of dollars to send men to Mars....or wait a few years and have at it's beck and call...Interplanetary Trnsportation systems that make current Rocket propultion look like a Model A Ford in comparison with an Eletric Powered Ford Volt.

Do you know why several of NASA's new Heavy Lift Rocket programs were cancelled? It was because there are working programs out there that are still classified in nature and a decision has not been made to release these programs.

I will be the first one in line bitching about people who believe Stargate the TV show is a reality....but I will not be so stupid as deny things that have occured and are in the works.

This is why I would suggest to anyone who believes that we did not go to the Moon...stay away from BUZZ ALDRIN....last conspiracy theorist that yelled into this astronauts face that he was a liar...got his ass kicked! LOL! Split Infinity

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:10 PM
link   
reply to post by DJW001

Is it even possible to go to the Moon?

The way to answer the question is for some agency to publicly demonstrate that ability. Having scientific papers in hand doesn't automatically translate to a demonstration of an ability.

There is only one agency who has ever claimed to demonstrate this ability. As I pointed out "NASA" is often a misnomer for the military-industrial-complex, including, all the component contractors, planning contractors, the plumbers and the Pentagon itself. And like I pointed out there needs to be the political willpower and significant money & resources. So it goes in this order, I'm changing the percentages a little bit:

1. political willpower 49.5%
2. money & resources 49.5%
3. demonstrate the ability 1%

Is it even possible to go to the Moon? My answer has to be "no".

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 06:16 PM
link   
reply to post by SayonaraJupiter

The way to answer the question is for some agency to publicly demonstrate that ability. Having scientific papers in hand doesn't automatically translate to a demonstration of an ability.

Who is talking about ability? I am talking about possibility. There is no reason, theoretically, to believe that it is impossible.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I still find it amusing that the most common answer for "Did we go to the moon?" is Yes.
When asked, people often give the answer "Because we saw it".

It's amazing that more than half (Probably more, that's why we signed up to this site in the first place) the people on this site don't believe half the crap we are fed on main stream media and still persist in presenting information in the defence of the "we went to the moon" argument.

What's funnier is that most of the evidence is evidence that has taken 30 odd years to collate for the sole purpose of proving they did go to the moon.....honest honest, it is possible.

So what do we have?

Crap looking film, One that was projected on to mission controls wall, and then filmed by main stream media for the brainwashed masses.
Oh and the originals were lost or damaged?
And some rocks? Ahem?
And a load of after the fact info.

I prized my hardcopy photo's of Europe when I was 11.........come on people, apparently they went to the moon, were they just thrown on the back seat of a car or lost in a drawer......I would be holding on to them with dear life. But no problem, the "live" broadcast sorted that out..........people were convinced!!!

Sure you can flame me, but that is about the sum of it. I don't have any golden ticket proof, I don't surf the net all day spanking away at whatever little bit of dirt can find that might prove a disbeliever wrong, I just look at what was presented to me by NASA. And for the record it looks BS. Can't you see that? It's a crap fuzzy looking bit of footage with a plethora of other dodgy looking photo's that have been looked at millions of times by guys on here still with no real explanation. We talk about proof; well NASA gave us the proof, a B&W movie and some rocks? What you talk about constantly is "is it possible they did" go to the moon? Simply because you too don't have any proof too?

I think you opinions are too tarnished with present day tech. Sure we could probably give it a go. But with 1969 tech. No, no way. They just wouldn't risk it. Live as well (yes I know it was meant to be delayed broadcast).

Just one other thing before you impart your superior intelligence on me.

What was 1960's tech like in Russia at that time?
Did they have the means to "fake" it on live TV? I'm not sure, it was all a bit of a secret back then, but USA was loud and proud of their achievements. T.V, skyscrapers, cars with chrome and fins ........flashy!

I think they had no choice but to fake it.

Just my opinion and I'm entitled to it.

edit on 14-1-2012 by CaptainBeno because: forgot a bit of rant.....

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 07:11 PM
link   
A better question would be:

was travelling to the Moon possible with the technology of the 70's?

My take is: UNLIKELY, given that modern technology would in theory have made it easier ands cheaper but nations aspiring to prove themselves in space haven't tried it yet. So it seems that modern technology isn't good enough either for such trip.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Totaly, and further more the age old argument of "Oh well, America has done it now, so we don't have to bother guys" wears a bit thin with me I'm affraid.

Why is it then that everone aspires to nuclear weapons? Even the supposed poorest of nations?
edit on 14-1-2012 by CaptainBeno because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

Nuclear armed nations can claim they are better able to "defend" themselves...regardless of how much closer it brings the entire human species to the brink of war or the icy spectre of Nuclear Winter.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by NuminousCosmos

Sure, yeah your right absolutely, but it was more a point about cost...sorry.

jra

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptainBeno
Crap looking film, One that was projected on to mission controls wall, and then filmed by main stream media for the brainwashed masses.

Some one correct me if I'm wrong, but I think filming the mission of a tv screen was only done during the Apollo 11 mission and not for the following missions.

Oh and the originals were lost or damaged?

Again, I believe it is only the Apollo 11 slowscan tapes that went missing.

We talk about proof; well NASA gave us the proof, a B&W movie and some rocks?

Actually what's generally being asked for is evidence. not proof. And only Apollo 11 had B&W video. There were 5 other missions and they used colour video. Here's a clip from Apollo 15:

I think you opinions are too tarnished with present day tech. Sure we could probably give it a go. But with 1969 tech. No, no way. They just wouldn't risk it. Live as well

What is it about technology in '69 that would prevent anyone from going to the Moon? As for risking lives, you do know that the astronauts were test pilots originally right? They risked there lives all the time.

I think they had no choice but to fake it.

Hollywood can't even portray astronauts on the Moon accurately in movies today, with the latest special effects available. The latest attempt being Transformers 3. The scenes showing the astronauts are laughably bad. I just don't think it's possible to fake such a thing.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jra

What is it about technology in '69 that would prevent anyone from going to the Moon?

It's hard to believe that in less than 10 years the U.S can go from ignoring what an artificial satellite is to interplanetary manned travel.

Even with today's technology we're content with placing junk at 300Km altitude and we don't always succeed.

Very UNLIKELY.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:03 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

You simply just don't seem to be in the same debate as what is topical. Here we have one of your favorite logic fallacies. Argumentum ad numerum. You not only use this method of debate as a shallow appeal, you mostly just try to hurl cyber incendiary strikes.

You seem really hurt by something related to all this.

Get well soon, (not that I care).

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Brasov

1957 to 1969, you need a math lesson.

Now this is one very uneducated off topic response we expect on threads like this that ask for a reason that something can not be possible. Good job, we now have you categorized with your very first open mouth!

And some insight into the depth of thinking some have.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Just one other thing before you impart your superior intelligence on me

Cheers, just confirmed.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
If we didn't really go to the moon, it might explain why we've "never been back," and why no other nation has gone either.

Just a thought...

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illustronic
reply to post by Brasov

1957 to 1969, you need a math lesson.

Holly cow, it was 12 years instead of 10! what a miscalculation of mine!

Those 2 extra years undoubtedly hold the key of how a dumb tin can with 1K of RAM made it safely to the Moon and back, keeping every "silent hero" on board alive.

This astro-nots heroes of mankind have avoiding interviews for more than 40 years because they haven't yet recovered from the shock of their magic trip.

Whowoodathunkit!
edit on 14-1-2012 by Brasov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:34 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

This video sums up my feelings on this issue. Carl Sagan, a man I consider to be one of the greatest minds of history, read aloud his book Pale Blue Dot: A Vision if the Human Future in Space.

It is a direct sequel to Cosmos- a book that I think should be standard reading for anyone who wants to begin the journey to true enlightenment.

It never ceases to bring tears to my eyes.
edit on 1/14/2012 by NuminousCosmos because: (no reason given)

edit on 1/14/2012 by NuminousCosmos because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by NuminousCosmos
This video sums up my feelings on this issue. Carl Sagan, a man I consider to be one of the greatest minds of history, read aloud his book Pale Blue Dot: A Vision if the Human Future in Space.

It is a direct sequel to Cosmos- a book that I think should be standard reading for anyone who wants to begin the journey to true enlightenment.

It never ceases to bring tears to my eyes.

The URL contained a malformed video ID
edit on 14-1-2012 by Brasov because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Brasov

This astro-nots heroes of mankind have avoiding interviews for more than 40 years because they haven't yet recovered from the shock of their magic trip.

Yeah, and then turn to violence when confronted.................Pressure Pie!!...........Mmmm plenty of slices to go around!

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join