It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do you pay state income tax? I wish I did.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I'm from good ol' Tax-free New Hampshire, and boy do I wish we had a state income tax. Let me explain why.

As I was driving home from work this morning (3rd shift) in the 2 inches of snow we got here, it hit me. This interstate has not been plowed. Then I began to notice that NO roads were plowed or even so much as salted. That 2 inches of snow sat on the roads for so long it was pounded into slippery slush.

Driving home was a nightmare. On the interstate, cars had worn ruts into the slush and if you aligned perfectly, you were all good... but stray from that rut or try to change a lane, and it became a battle to keep it on the road.

The radio was talking about some absurd number of accidents, and on my way home I saw 3, and I fishtailed through every corner I went through. All from 2 inches of snow. TWO INCHES. On my way home I didn't see a single truck laying salt, sand, or plowing anything.

Now when I lived in Massachusetts where I was sodomized weekly by their state income tax, it was a whole different story. The very second a snowflake fell from the sky, trucks were out all night laying down salt/sand and plowing. By the time it was done snowing, you'd have thought they even squeegeed the damn road.

Next time you're complaining about state income tax, just remember this post.
edit on 1/12/2012 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

As times get more....depressiony (is that a real word?) theses services will become fewer and further in between.
"They" are laying off firefighters, times are dire.
But your elected officials aren't taking any pay cuts, even with all of the bribe money going out.
You might sing a different song if you did not have to drive to masters house.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

I pay state income tax and my roads don't get plowed either. Usually they wait until the snow finishes then they plow, that's if they plow at all for such a small amount of snow (two inches?!? my parents old pinto can handle that). I don't see your connection?

Respectfully, it seems idealistic but not realistic. It is just the beginning of winter, they have to plan for future storms that dump an actual large amount of snow. State income tax has nothing to do with it. Much of the plowing responsibilities fall on local cities, towns and neighborhoods, not the state.

The accidents you speak of would not happen if people didn't drive like morons. People need to slow down and anticipate longer stopping distances. Two inches really isn't that much to drive through safely.

edit on 12-1-2012 by sageofmonticello because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

Well I pay state taxes and still don't get my road plowed all the time. It's a hit and miss kind of thing. Sometimes they do a great job and some times they don't do squat! Oh and road repair is laughable its a patch and pray sort of thing. Except up the hill where half the road is missing its down to one lane and has a drop of about 300 feet but with all the taxes we pay theres not enough money to pay to fix it!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
No state income tax in Texas, yet we never seem to have a problem salting our roads. Not that Texas is perfect by any means. We have our issues, too, but nothing a state income tax would ever fix.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I live in Massachusetts and can say that the roads in my area have not yet been plowed and it is 10:30 in the morning. I don't think my town was really expecting this much snow. The forcast still says no accumulation expected. So, I doubt the highway department was prepared for this. The fact that I pay income taxes doesn't mean the roads will definately get taken care of sooner. I think it was an all around lack of adequate staff on last night and this morning. Those plows and salt trucks don't run themselves.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:49 AM
link   
reply to post by sageofmonticello

Two inches isn't a lot of snow, but it doesn't mean it's not to be taken seriously. People weren't driving like idiots. I fishtailed through an intersection while going 4 MPH. The slush is worse than ice.

reply to post by fyredansyr

I lived in Lowell, and they were always on top of it when I lived there. They'd start plowing when the snow started falling, and would keep plowing hours after it stopped.

Here in NH, the Walgreens parking lot is the first thing to get plowed.
edit on 1/12/2012 by Adyta because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   
By the way, what is this "snow" of which you speak? Only reason we ever have to salt the roads here is sheets of ice or slushy ice water all over them....

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Adyta

I will take your word for it. All I am saying is that I have driven through more than 2 inches of snow with slush in a rear wheel drive 80's sports car and not had a problem. I guess everyone has their own experience though. My experience has been if I drive proactively and anticipate possible problems I don't have any issues.

That's not to say 2 inches of snow shouldn't be taken seriously, that's not what I was saying at all. I am saying quite the opposite. Take it seriously and you will get home safe.

Every accident I have ever seen happen in the snow results from one or more people driving like an idiot in a dangerous situation, obviously, I suppose it would not apply to everyone though, just everyone I have ever seen it happen to. I use to have an hour and a half commute to work and have seen quite a few accidents occur in inclement whether. It usually happens to the guy who just passed me driving 70 in his SUV.

In my experience ice is much worse than slush though saying the opposite is popular, I have heard that before, I just haven't had that experience. It may be true, I don't know the science.

I think people simply drive differently when they know they are driving on ice while slush can be as bad only because it is a hidden danger. Just my POV no hard feelings.

edit on 12-1-2012 by sageofmonticello because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
I pay state income tax here in Lincoln County, North Carolina, They only make a feeble attempt to plow / salt the main drags.
Forget about taking any secondary roads to work for 3 or 4 days, and they don't plow my neighborhood till after the snow melts!

Damnedest thing I ever saw, dragging a plow around on a clean road...

Can anyone recommend an ATV / Snow blade combo?

I have a pretty long driveway, and figure I could at least plow my cull-DE-sac...

If it ever snows here again..

new topics

top topics

join