It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Research PAPER

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Hello to all. I'm a student in college and I'm going to attempt to write a 3000 word research paper in my English class for this winter quarter. I was wondering if anyone can throw out some ideas for me on what to write about. I'm not lazy, I just want my paper to kick azz if you know what i mean
. This paper can be about ANYTHING so any input would be great thanx

edit on 12-1-2012 by GreenFurnNW because: edit

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I have to write 12+ page papers every single class (yes, im a student too)....
Just pick a topic that interests you...easy

Or go down the Recent Posts page and see what jumps out at you....
edit on January 12th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
It should be about procuring ideas for research papers.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by GreenFurnNW

Modern day Anthropology.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Use some caution though...if it is a research paper it will need citations...so make sure and choose something that is easily cited...and of course credibly cited!

That was my road block...finding credible sources that were academically accepted!

ATS is not a credible source unfortunately!!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   

I just finished one of my college English classes. I did mine on the literary analysis of some of Edgar Allan Poe's poems and short stories. Just choose an author that interests you, you already have a good handle on, and have read some of their work and let your creative genius flow. Best regards and good luck.

Edit to add: I got a 98 on the paper. Two points taken off because I did my parenthetical citations in the middle of the sentence next to the "quote" instead of at the end. It was also MLA format.
edit on 12-1-2012 by watchdog because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by jerryznv

Very true! This paper HAS to be in MLA format, so my topic will for sure be something legit with A LOT of info to back it up..

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by GreenFurnNW
reply to post by jerryznv

Very true! This paper HAS to be in MLA format, so my topic will for sure be something legit with A LOT of info to back it up..

I love MLA...APA on the other hand can get tricky!

I wrote a paper on HAARP last semester and presented it with a slide show...HAARP has their own official website and there is a ton of credible resources available...so it went pretty well!

The slide show was extra credit work...and more along the lines of informative rather than persuasive...so I had to bite my tongue a bit when I presented it!

All in all though...there is a million good topics right here on ATS...and for the most part they can be easily cited...so I am going to go with what greeneyedleo said...and hit the recent topics!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Just another quick thought...

You might want to discuss your topic with your professor before you dump too much time into research.

A fellow student in my class researched medical marijuana for two weeks only to find out that it was not a subject that our professor would allow a paper on!

So before you dive hard into something...run it by your professor...and make sure it is an acceptable topic!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]Did they specify how many/what sort of citations that you have to have? If there are restrictions, look for the sources first. They always make us have at least one peer reviewed journal source for research papers.

I did a literary analysis on 'The Yellow Wallpaper', an annotated bibliography on partial birth abortion and a descriptive writing assignment on having a baby.

I have two papers to write this quarter. One for psych and one for medical terminology on an important historical figure in medicine. I am thinking Hippocrates...
edit on 12-1-2012 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

I am thinking Hippocrates...

How about Dr. Ron Paul...is he considered a historical?

Not quite 2500 years ago...but it might make a decent paper!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv
Just another quick thought...

You might want to discuss your topic with your professor before you dump too much time into research.

A fellow student in my class researched medical marijuana for two weeks only to find out that it was not a subject that our professor would allow a paper on!

So before you dive hard into something...run it by your professor...and make sure it is an acceptable topic!

That's funny that you said that because I was really contemplating on writing my paper on Medical Marijuana, but I decided not to. But whatever I write my paper about will be discussed first with my professor for sure.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
[color=dodgerblue]Did they specify how many/what sort of citations that you have to have? If there are restrictions, look for the sources first. They always make us have at least one peer reviewed journal source for research papers.

This is a very good question that I will look into today in class. Right on yo

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by jerryznv

I am thinking Hippocrates...

How about Dr. Ron Paul...is he considered a historical?

I think Dr.Paul is making history as we speak, but that could be a good topic, he has been around for awhile now, and everyone has heard of him these days.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

I like to write my papers on something that deals with medicine. I just finished reading a study on inducing hypothermia in cardiac arrest patients may improve patients survival rate. I thought that was really interesting.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
[color=dodgerblue]I am still trying to come up with the topic for my psych paper. I thought about doing either Asperger's or Apraxia of speech because my four year old has both, I know I can find peer reviewed scholarly journals on both topics and I already know a decent amount about both.

The Apraxia is more along the lines of physiology but would be a fitting topic because it falls under the neuropsychology umbrella.

It only has to be 3-4 pages double spaced, APA format, with one peer reviewed scholarly sources and then it can have any other sources I like.

It's not due until March, so I have time to think about it.

The other paper for my med term class can't be on Dr. Paul
it has to be a historical figure.
edit on 12-1-2012 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

I took a psych course last semester called life span development and my research topic was determining if there any social interaction issues of home schooled children as opposed to children that go to public school.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by lcbjr1979

That's a interesting topic for sure yo.
I bet the home schooled kids turned out more smarter and a lot more crazier than regulate kids.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by watchdog

Thank you for the input. I really appreciate it.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   

I researched it over the time of september to december. I spent time watching the kids interact together at the local park and talked to a bunch of parents and asked them questions on the kids. I found that the home school kids seemed to be smarter, more polite, able to share better but had difficulty functioning in a group of 5 or more kids. The public school kids were not as smart, nastier language, played well in groups of 5 or more, exhibited more rough behavior. The age range I studied were 6-11 years old. I thought it was a very interesting study.

new topics

top topics

join