It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Could you be a suicide bomber

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I have been thinking about the suicide bombers in the middle east and have wondered how they get to the mindset that they think it is worth while laying down their life for their cause. My conclusion to this is obviously religious brainwashing however that is not why I ask. The fact that anybody can do this means that we all must have a point where we would find this action acceptable and I am interested to find out what it would take for an average westerner to get to this position.

For me if you children were ever taken in a terrorist strike then I believe that I could do it. What are your boundries?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:46 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

I have to be perfectly honest and say there is absolutely nothing that would bring me to the point of being a suicide bomber. It's a simple matter of Faith, and mine makes no exception or allowance for suicide......cute excuses for rationale doesn't make any difference to the REAL "TPTB", however each of us defines that.

If, say, the U.S. were invaded and we were in terrible circumstances which basically made it war on our soil...I mean lets really get extreme in examples here...but under some circumstances like that, I could see reaching a point of doing something with low chances of survival, but never 0...and never to blow myself up in what I've always thought of as the last stand of the ultimate coward.

Just my thinking..... Some things require a mindset and world view I just can't relate to, let alone experience.

edit on 12-1-2012 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by michael1983l
I am interested to find out what it would take for an average westerner to get to this position.

What do you mean "westerner"? I am a westerner. And I am muslim too.
Are you somehow implying the "easterners" are some kind of "other" people ...?

And, I too, would not be a suicide bomber, because my religion does not allow it.

I would rather live to fight another day.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by sHuRuLuNi

I am interested to find out what it would take for an average westerner to get to this position.

And, I too, would not be a suicide bomber, because my religion does not allow it.

Actually most suicide bombers seem to have been trained in the East, that is the point. Are you denying that fact?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:53 AM
link   
The Japanese were sure moral killers for the crew of WW2 aircraft carriers , watching old footage from the ships as the Kamikaze "God wind" hit is terrible. The tradition of death instead of defeat, capture, and perceived shame was deeply entrenched in Japanese military culture. It was one of the primary traditions in the samurai life and the Bushido code: loyalty and honor until death.

If the Provisional I R A had members who were prepared to sacrifice themselves , the UK mainland would have been even worse than what it was in the 1970s onwards , public paranoia was high anyway in major cities at the time regarding bombs etc with good reason.

I believe any one can be brainwashed..manchurian candidate type scenario , it does help if you have a personal axe to grind with an aggressor , be it government , malitia etc

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by sHuRuLuNi

Actually most suicide bombers seem to have been trained in the East, that is the point. Are you denying that fact?

No, I am not, but that does not make the "easterners" somehow different. It just so happened that they were trained there.
They could have just as well been trained in the west, south or on the Antarctica for that matter ...

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by sHuRuLuNi

But you are missing the point of the post, we already understand what makes the current suicide bombers do what they do. What I am trying to ascertain is what would make somebody do it that comes from a society where this is currently not prevailant.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   

reply to post by sHuRuLuNi

But you are missing the point of the post, we already understand what makes the current suicide bombers do what they do. What I am trying to ascertain is what would make somebody do it that comes from a society where this is currently not prevailant.

Well, in that case, NOTHING would make me do it, because as I said, my religion prohibits it.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
Under no circumstances would I become a suicide bomber. How would I be able to witness the aftermath of my *hypothetical* creation?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:06 AM
link   
if i was really poor
no money to buy real weapon
and my house and familly were killed
i would certainly think of avenging them

many Irakis are in that situation
no hope no more familly no more home no more daughter and son
what would you do ?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:10 AM
link   
reply to post by michael1983l

I personally could not, but I don't believe it's 100% religious indoctrination, I believe the conditions in the region that these people are subjected to play a MASSIVE role in this.

Of course it's impossible to put yourself in their shoes, but if I were in their position I would surely be fighting the invader as best I could, but I could never justify an actual suicide bombing. Sure, a mission with little chance of survival? sure.

But I would never agree to a mission, that if completed, meant my death. It's a waste of life, and a fighter as well. Live to fight another day.

This is why respect the resistance movements during WW2, they didn't resort to suicide bombing and still fought back and actually made a huge impact.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:21 AM
link   
When you have children cut into pieces in front of you, children and women raped in front of you, parents are burned alive...... list of war crimes goes on...

This what gives birth to terrorist and suicide bombers.. because only choice you have as a 14 yr, without parents and after seeing all the things happened to your family in front of you, is to join the fighters who is fighting against the enemy that did this to you.

This doesn't apply to all type of terrorists, but most do join and have that mind set because of the trauma, need of a belonging and a reason to live, even if it is to die.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Could you be a suicide bomber

Giving one's life for a cause or belief is nothing new. We hold that dying for one's country is a noble act... a soldier taking on what we term a 'suicide mission' is held in the highest respect.

Depending on your point of view, sacrificing your life to kill an enemy may be honorable but... to do so and kill otherwise innocent people? It stretches the bounds of our humanity to imagine doing something like that with the concept of there being a reward awaiting in the hereafter.

Does your god demand of you to kill other human beings in his/her name? Or is it perhaps not that god but those who have hijacked his/her name and purpose to use it for their own?

Life is all we have in this physical existence. How we live it and how we end it would seem to be the ultimate testimony to us as individuals.

In answer to the question; I don't know.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
Of my own free will? No I could not. I love my family too much. I also have no desire to die haha.

Even if I lost them and I had nothing/no one I couldn't do it. And I'm not afraid to admit it is because I am scared of dying haha.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Personally, I do not have any religious preference currently that could brainwash me into executing any suicide bombings upon a religious cause. I believe in blood and ammunition, not god, nor divine powers.

I do, however believe that I could do a suicide bombing, if it was the LAST resort, and it could make an severe impact to something, not just killing myself to kill a few riflemen in tight formation for example.
I'd prefer to fight to the death, in a noble and honourable cause instead of a cowardice suicide attack.
As I've said, if the target is of such a great importance to destroy, as well as my own life to destroy it, then yes, I'd do it.

Be the lone wolf if you desire and fight for all you can, but you know this is a battle you cannot win. It is time to say goodbye.

Better to die, knowing that you would've done some damage, than die for nothing at all.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   
I suppose it depends on the situation.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Suicide bombers are the "intelligent bombs" of poor people.

When an overwhelming occupation military has made your life worthless by cornering you into a lose/lose situation you might as well decide to take some enemies with you.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Not after being a kamikaze pilot !
My heart wouldn't take it !
Sorry you'll have to find someone else !

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   
I could, but I'm generally unreliable and call in sick a lot.

2nd.

new topics

top topics

join