It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red UFO hovers over Canadian Military Base - April 1959.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   

"It was a genuine UFO as far as we are concerned"

RCAF spokesman

Came across this interesting report whilst searching through Realtvufos newspaper archive and it describes quite an intriguing UFO incident over Canada’s Air Force Station Hubert on the 13th of April 1959 -it states Control tower operators (and several other hundred aircraft personnel and residents) witnessed a red UFO which hovered over the base for several minutes, the object did not appear on radar screens but was said to disappear to the North at roughly the speed of sound -if anyone knows anymore info, please feel free to post.

“RCAF Baffled by Swift UFO”, 13 April 1959

(Spokane Daily Chronicle, Washington)

A red UFO was sighted over Canada’s key air defence establishment (Royal Canadian Air Force Station St. Hubert) near Montreal, Canada on 13 April 1959, at around 8:00 p.m.

Newspaper Article

The incident is also briefly mentioned in section 10 of the NICAP UFO Evidence report (although it gives the date as the 12th not the 13th) and states at roughly the same time residents of north Montreal also witnessed a red UFO which hovered over a field and then climbed away into the sky rapidly..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f14d1ad21bed.jpg[/atsimg]

April 12, 1959: Control tower operators at St. Hubert Air Base, Montreal, and many others about 8 p.m. watched a reddish UFO which hovered over the base for several minutes, then darted away to the north. An RCAF spokesman stated: "It was a genuine UFO as far as we are concerned." About the same time residents of north Montreal saw a red UFO, alternately described as round and cigar-shaped, which hovered low over a field, then climbed rapidly emitting "fiery sparks" from the underside.

Section 10

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:28 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
Two other newspaper articles about the sightings:

Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario, DAILY STAR, 13 April 1959, Page 1

'Mystery Object' Baffles Montreal

MONTREAL (CP) - A mysterious object sighted Sunday night over the RCAF base at nearby St. Hubert, was reported today to have hovered for several minutes over a playing field in Montreal's north end.

Claude Mercier said that he and about 10 of his neighbors saw the object hovering over a park area, at the intersection of De Fleurimont and Garnier streets.

"It looked like a big round balloon, about 10 feet in diameter, with a yellow light inside," said Mercier in an interview. "Fiery sparks came from the underside of the object as it hovered over the field."

"It was very low and it appeared as though it was going to land. But after hanging in the air a few minutes, it took off, rising not vertically, but at a slant and at a terrific speed. Within two or three minutes, we had lost sight of it on the horizon."

LIGHT GOES OUT

"As it rose," he said, "the yellow light inside the balloon seemed to go out. All that could be seen was a slight mauvish glow from the object."

He said the sighting was made about 8 p.m., approximately at the same time as people in suburbs on the south shore opposite Montreal were reporting a mysterious red light over the RCAF base.

A spokesman at Air Defence Command in St. Hubert said the control tower operator there did not see the object. It did not show on the base's radar.

"Our switchboard operator said she saw a black ball with a red light on it," said the spokesman. "She said the ball appeared to be sitting on the moon."

"We have no official explanation for these phenomena," said the spokesman.

Information was gathered on them and forwarded to the Transport Department in Ottawa. The Department, in turn, passed the information on to Washington, and from there, it was circulated to all parts of the world.

The spokesman said that an object similar to the one reported Sunday night, had been sighted over the base a couple of months ago. When it was checked out, it was found that what people had seen was an aircraft with a red light on its underside.

link

North Bay, Ontario, DAILY NUGGET, 14 April 1959, page 1

Was It Space Craft?

OTTAWA (CP) - A federal radio engineer says an unidentified object sighted in the sky near St. Hubert, Que., could have been a space craft.

W. B. Smith, superintendent of radio regulations engineering for the Transport Department, said Monday, there is no other explanation for the type of object sighted Sunday night by Air Force personnel at the St. Hubert Air Station.

The sightings apparently were limited to the Montreal area, a spokesman at Air Defence Command at nearby St. Hubert said.

A report on the sightings was to be forwarded to the Transport Department in Ottawa. From there it would go to Washington and all parts of the world.

Claude Mercier said he and about 10 of his neighbors saw it hovering over a park area near their homes in the northeast end of Montreal.

"It looked like a big round balloon, about 10 feet in diameter, with a yellow light inside," he said. "Fiery sparks came from the underside of the object as it hovered over the field."

He said that after a few minutes it took off "at a slant and at terrific speed" and disappeared over the horizon.

link

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by MainLineThis
Honestly, who cares?

Hmm, everyone except you I reckon. Why did you even post? Bad day? Get out of the troll side of bed this morning?

How about you make a thread?'

OP,

Thanks for bringing this one up. A lot of these old cases have some patchy evidence to back them up, but I like to hear about them anyway; it's a good reference for comparison to other sightings and encounters.

Keep doing what you're doing dude and ignore the trolls,

Peace

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by MainLineThis
Honestly, who cares? I mean, great, I'm happy for you that you found something to post that will give you the attention your mind thinks it deserves, but step back a moment and ask yourself this: how does posting outdated, useless junk like this add to the greater good?

I really don't give two craps what happened in 1959. I give two craps about things that have happened since 1990. I mean, with the advancement in technology we have cameras and video EVERYWHERE now....but yet we have complete bs for UFO evidence. Odd that.

But what a way to keep the dream alive. Post crap that supposedly happened generations ago for discussion, acting like it adds to the mountain of evidence that does nothing but confirm the most ignorant folks beliefs. And of course, this can't be looked into any further, it happened so long ago and the evidence for it is LAUGHABLE by today's standards. But don't let that stop you from being a glory hound.

There is a truth out there. There are things that would blow your skirt up. But you folks are going about it the wrong way. You don't know anything about PR (and you probably don't have the intellect to understand why and how I could even say such a thing).

Well, I found it interesting.

Didn't know this happened until just now so thanks OP.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:47 AM
link   
Interesting post OP. I hadn't read of this either. Keep up the good work.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:50 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:59 AM
link   
Every time i see UFO over military base, I know it's always something interesting.
Thank you for bringing to us this absolutely amazing case.

Best regards.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by MainLineThis

thanks for your informative comment,i found it very useful so i know to avoid any further of your comments.

to OP very interesting will read the links later

thanks

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:04 AM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

I like these old articles Karl
it comes from a time where reports weren't poluted by hoaxes using new technology. I give them more credence than 99% of the rubbish brought forward since the 90s.

I also like to dig back through History for interesting events (explainable or not) such as on 14th April 1561, where the citizens of Nuremberg saw what is commonly described as a UFO dogfight in the sky, describing cigar like objects such as here.

edit on 12-1-2012 by zazzafrazz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:09 AM
link   

"It looked like a big round balloon, about 10 feet in diameter, with a yellow light inside," he said. "Fiery sparks came from the underside of the object as it hovered over the field."

It would seem that the UFO emitting a red or yellow colour is not uncommon and can be associated with a low power state when hovering .

Of all the visible colors, red and orange/yellow correspond to the least energy. They are also the two most common colors associated with UFO "low-power" operation (when the UFO is hovering or moving relatively slowly). Blue, green, brilliant white and blue-white are common colors when UFOs move fast
www.hyper.net...

The Fiery sparks are probably due to plasma and is known as ejected luminosity .

ejected luminosity is sometimes reported, as shown in photos (e.g. Robert Campbell 2-Aug-1965), night-time videos (e.g. Long Beach, CA Police Department helicopter FLIR 25-Dec-2004 youtube), and testimonies (e.g. "throw off glowing particles, like molten metal" -- Col. Halt, case Rendlesham forest Dec-1980). Material remains luminous for some time after falling away from the object. If this material is a plasma then a) it is heavier than air, and b) it is cohesive enough to survive a fall through the air and retain its luminosity. In some cases, it might also be a luminous liquid
www.hyper.net...

A report from 1959 this time in Redmond, Oregon and made by Redmond Police officer Robert Dickerson

Dickerson saw a strange bright light [white ball­ shaped?] rapidly descending north of the airport then stopped and hovered several hundred [200?] feet above ground for several mins where it lit up the juniper trees below. He drove toward it on the Prineville Hwy then turned toward the airport, when the object turned orange [reddish-orange?] and moved rapidly to [dive and hover?] about 10 miles NE of the airport at about 3,000 ft

which in turn reported it to Hamilton AFB, Calif., which scrambled 6 F-102 jets from Portland [?] to intercept UFO. FAA station observers saw object hover and emit long tongues of red, yellow and green light which extended and retracted at irregular intervals. As F-102’s approached the object from the SE [?] it turned into mushroom shape, emitted red and yellow flames from lower side and ascended rapidly, disappearing above scattered clouds at about 14,000 ft
policeufo.com...

It seems you've found another interesting case from the time of high strangeness

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:44 PM
link   
Hey this is really interesting to me as i was born (1958) in an army base in Alberta. We lived there for about 8 and I'll tell you we had a lot of weird things happen. Thanks for the informative posts

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by karl 12

"It was a genuine UFO as far as we are concerned"

RCAF spokesman

Came across this interesting report whilst searching through Realtvufos newspaper archive and it describes quite an intriguing UFO incident over Canada’s Air Force Station Hubert on the 13th of April 1959 -it states Control tower operators (and several other hundred aircraft personnel and residents) witnessed a red UFO which hovered over the base for several minutes, the object did not appear on radar screens but was said to disappear to the North at roughly the speed of sound -if anyone knows anymore info, please feel free to post.

“RCAF Baffled by Swift UFO”, 13 April 1959

(Spokane Daily Chronicle, Washington)

A red UFO was sighted over Canada’s key air defence establishment (Royal Canadian Air Force Station St. Hubert) near Montreal, Canada on 13 April 1959, at around 8:00 p.m.

Newspaper Article

The incident is also briefly mentioned in section 10 of the NICAP UFO Evidence report (although it gives the date as the 12th not the 13th) and states at roughly the same time residents of north Montreal also witnessed a red UFO which hovered over a field and then climbed away into the sky rapidly..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/f14d1ad21bed.jpg[/atsimg]

April 12, 1959: Control tower operators at St. Hubert Air Base, Montreal, and many others about 8 p.m. watched a reddish UFO which hovered over the base for several minutes, then darted away to the north. An RCAF spokesman stated: "It was a genuine UFO as far as we are concerned." About the same time residents of north Montreal saw a red UFO, alternately described as round and cigar-shaped, which hovered low over a field, then climbed rapidly emitting "fiery sparks" from the underside.

Section 10

Interesting read.. But I am a bit perplexed as to what exactly is your agenda with this thread?

Are you saying this UFO is a secret military object or an alien craft..?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:46 PM
link   
*****ATTENTION*****

The topic of this thread is: Red UFO hovers over Canadian Military Base - April 1959.

Discuss that topic and nothing more.

All off topic posts, rude posts, complaints against staff and all other T&C violations will be removed.

If you ever have a complaint about any staff action, use the COMPLAINT FORM.

Thank you.....
Carry on....

edit on January 12th 2012 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

Thanks, Karl, The fifties and sixties were very tense years between the USSR and Canada and the US. I was born in '54 and remember in the late fifties bombers flying twenty four hours a day on defensive patrol to react against a USSR nuclear threat. All governments were on edge. More than once did UFO's set off alarms on the radar and DEWS (Distant Early Warning System) line in Alaska and the Arctic. Thank goodness cooler minds prevailed. Also participated in many "duck and cover" school drills.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by karl 12

It's interesting, yeah, I give you that.

The newspaper's in the UK will report any old mumble jumble to sell copies. I know that this is a different country to the paper in question, but I mean, we hear all the time about testimonials etc.. Does it mean they're true? Would the govt allow the juicy stuff to sit in archives?

I don't know...

I do love reading things like this though, so from me, thank you for sharing.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 02:28 PM
link   
OP

What is it that you are trying to learn from studying a 60 year old account of a UFO that can't be learned from studying more recent accounts?

What makes this account more reliable than.. say.. the O'Hare sighting a few years back?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join