It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unemployed lady seeks legal advice over human rights issue.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Ahhh another funny thread in Above Top Secret, how can this be a human right issue?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Just an example, but see my post where I say it seems like a personal attack on a certain "group" IMO. They are attacking those who are trying to pull themselves up to better themselves, probably white lower class, because well we can't have the white trash rising into our ranks...JMO.
My venom towards single mothers well that would be totally off topic and a very long rant...so I will not hijack this thread with it.
But this seems to be a very personal vendetta. In my eyes.
edit on 12-1-2012 by ldyserenity because: spelling

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

fact is, before she is being forced into a jsa work program , she WILL have been signing on for 6 months plus ... MINIMUM!. All the while she has been working for free, but claming dole ... thats wrong ! you cant expect to have your hobby job (uni trained in that field or not) funded by the government and expect them not to eventuly tell you to wise up and get a real job.

if anything , the museum should offer her a PAID job instead of expecting JSA to pay their employees wages!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet

fact is, before she is being forced into a jsa work program , she WILL have been signing on for 6 months plus ... MINIMUM!.

Uh huh.... that's because there are not too many jobs around.
In case you hadn't noticed, unemployment is pretty high right now.

All the while she has been working for free, but claming dole ... thats wrong ! you cant expect to have your hobby job (uni trained in that field or not) funded by the government and expect them not to eventuly tell you to wise up and get a real job.

At least she's doing something.... at least she's out there working and keeping her mind active, not sitting around watching TV all day and smoking drugs and eating McDonalds...
Seriously.... :shk:

The woman volunteers... she goes out into the community and does something positive.

She's not a layabout dole scrounger...

No matter what people want to paint her as.

We have a terrible attitude in this country towards this issue.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Yeah

Rupert Murdochs publications have done a great job in demonizing whole swaiths of people it seems!

Keep drinking the government propaganda kool aid folks!

Things are never as black and white with a red top as they seem.

The majority who are on the dole WANT TO WORK!
edit on 12-1-2012 by EvanB because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

Who said they didn't? My posts have been this particular woman in this particular case. And i stand by every statement i have made on here too.

The woman actually does deserve some credit for doing volunteer work in the first place. I wish more people would do this kind of thing. However, as i have said, she has been unemployed for a year. Get a part time job cleaning and get yourself more money.

There are loads of jobs available around the country. She has chosen not to take any. Now the government is telling her to work at Poundland for 2 weeks - hardly a life sentence! If she chooses not too then why the hell can't the government say they will stop her payments?

As is said above, there are plenty of part time jobs available. If she had bothered to take one then this whole story would be a non issue anyway.
edit on 12-1-2012 by Flavian because: missing word!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB

Yeah

Rupert Murdochs publications have done a great job in demonizing whole swaiths of people it seems!

Keep drinking the government propaganda kool aid folks!

Things are never as black and white with a red top as they seem.

Exactly mate...The unemployed are like the new immigrants or muslims or something... everyone hating on them for whatever reason.

So banking sector causes financial collapse (essentially) and causes many people to lose lots of money and causes lots of businesses to close and reduce workforce sizes.... thus creating an army of unemployed people.
Our taxpayer money goes to bail out said banks and also to pay CEO's bonuses in the tens of millions of pounds figure.... yet when the victims of this financial "downturn" (The Unemployed) need a hand, need some help and financial aid because they lost their jobs and lost their house because the banks that their money went to bail out , repossessed their house and the company which the banks also wouldn't lend money to, sacked them.... somehow people have an issue with this?

Seriously... people need to take their head out of their arses for 5 minutes and look around.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by FFS4000
I'm sorry, but i'm a tax payer and it's my money she is enjoying, i only have one thing to say..tuff. welcome to the real world, if you want someone to blame, blame the last administration, they told you there would be streets paved with gold once you graduated, what they forgot to tell you was, going to UNI was only to hide the true unemployment figures and to belittle uni degrees.

I have had to take jobs in the past i didnt' want because i like to have money, my own money and not government hand out.

Take a job you self entitled sponger, another product of the me me me culture bread under the last Administration

I doubt living on £53 per week would result in much "enjoyment" at all! On the contrary, the studies show that most of the unemployed scrape by well below the poverty line and a sizeable proportion of them may be malnourished at any one time.

They are cold, downtrodden, hungry and depressed and when they ask for a little help, and it IS only a little, see my previous post for the actual costs in comparison to other expenditure, they are vilified and demonised by the press and government and people like yourself.

"Self entitled sponger," you say? "Another product of the me me me culture?" I think you should take a long hard look in the mirror and ask yourself, "Where has my humanity gone?" because it seems your attitude is a selfish one perpetuated by the gutter press. "I'm alright so why should I care about anyone else?" Why indeed?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by EvanB

edit on 12-1-2012 by EvanB because: (no reason given)

they should get out there and look then. there is plenty of jobs out there, im aware that getting the job is a different story, but they should be at least trying (i know a lot will be).

13-14 months ago my girlfriend lost her job, she went around handing out CV's everywhere, had about 5-6 interviews and was offered 2-3 jobs. she was unemployed for a total of 2 WEEKS! and she isnt what you would call the 'academic' type (thinks canadians come from canadia & scotland and england is the same thing!).

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:50 AM
link   

she voulenteers. ...

but, she is hardly wiping old folks arses... she is voulenteering doing what she likes doing, what she wants to do as a job ... she is providing NO SERVICE to the running of this country in her voulentery role!

She has been claiming JSA for 6 months plus, this is fact and we know this as you dont get put on work placements till after AT LEAST 6 months unemployed on JSA .

so, for the last 6 + months, she has been doing something she likes while having her rent and jsa paid by the government.

I like wrestling, does this mean i can voulenteer to do some sort of community wrestling project and expect the government to pay, as this would be the exact same situation!

or

I like to sit and watch planes coming into land, does this mean i can voulenteer to go and watch planes and get my JSA for it with no questions??

I have been in her situation, i am very very aware of the lack of jobs (why i moved home to scotland), but for you to try and make excuses up to why she has been hard done by and even trying to deflect it by making poundland into the bad guys (i do agree with that to a small extent, but it has nothing to do with this argument other than to try and deflect the negative thoughts from this woman to poundland ... a very propegandistic (is this even a word?!) method of trying to state your point.

In closing, the woman question clearly is not that bright , esspecialy for someone with a uni education ... being a geologist (or trained) ... SHE SHOULD KNOW that she will have to travel around to get a job like that, a geologist is not the kind of thing people need daily and usualy are linked with massive surveys and studies!

At the moment, she is hanging about a museum expecting the UK to pay for her hanging about in a museum ... the jobcentre is bang to rights here ... they have done it to millions before and it will happen to millions after as THIS IS THE WAY IT IS!....

i have now forgot what your reply actualy was, but i will leave you to wollow in your pit of excuses for this random person!

@PW229 - i completly agree on the low amounts of JSA people get (i got more than that though, last time i signed on about 15 months ago i got 62 a week) ... but ye, when living on yer own the 62 a week just aint enough . (just adding this to the argument as i emphasise majorly with people on JSA ... but at the same time they signed the form and know they are suppost to be finding work to get off JSA, not stay on it doing a hobby and thinking that its a right)
edit on 12-1-2012 by boaby_phet because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by boaby_phet

she voulenteers. ...

but, she is hardly wiping old folks arses... she is voulenteering doing what she likes doing, what she wants to do as a job ... she is providing NO SERVICE to the running of this country in her voulentery role!

Uh huh..... and working at poundland does right?

get a grip.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Spot on mate.

Ironically I did a geology degree when I left the army and was in her position.

I quickly found out that to work in the field you needed a PhD or 10 years experience.

I was on JSA and volunteerd for an inner city Christian charity that ran free courses, gave the elderly and vunerable (mental health issues) a hand with anything from decorating their houses, shopping, filling in forms, job searching right down to giving people some company... I worked there to help and to be helped by using their computers and phones for job seeking, but most importantly, without them I would not have eaten or had a simple cuppa a lot of times because £50 a week barely covered my gas and electric, let alone food or even bus fare to get to interviews!

It is sooo not easy being on the dole and soul destroying especially for someone like myself who was a highly respected soldier in charge of mens lives and millions of pounds worth of equiptment, to being on the dole sufferering with PTSD too.

Luckily for me I also had a sales and marketing background from work I was doing to support myself in university, and through the project I was voluteering in I was able to get a job, a leg up, and now work between England and Dubai...

That project is now closed due to the government

Some people on this site and throughout the country are soo bloody blinkered to the suffering in their own backyard and too easy to dehumanise them by labeling the scoungers etc.

Behind most of those who sign on is a sorry story and a daily battle just to eat sometimes. And with the lack of jobs it will get much much worse.

Heaven forbid any of these people complaining ever fall on hard times too!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Here's another article...

www.guardian.co.uk...

Rayburn, who was also told by his jobcentre he would lose his benefits if he did not work without pay, said he spent almost two months stacking and cleaning shelves and sometimes doing night shifts. "They said [my JSA] would be cut off if I didn't do it."

Asked if he thought he should have been paid, he said: "I reckon they should have paid me … I was basically doing what a normal member of staff does for Tesco. I had the uniform and I was in the staff canteen. I obviously got access to the food and drinks in the staff canteen … that's what they let you do … but I got nothing else apart from that." " I was there doing it as if I walked into the store and said, 'Look I'll help'."

In April, Tesco filed pre-tax profits of £3.5bn. Like Reilly, Rayburn was not told that he had a week to refuse the placement. He was working at Tesco with two other young unemployed people who did get a job at the end of their placement.

Other large stores including Sainsbury's, Argos and Asda have been confirmed as providing work experience placements.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:06 AM
link   
um, its a step to getting a REAL JOB ... you know, something on a CV ... seeing as she came out of a 3/4 year uni course and doesnt get the whole deal on JSA and work in general, i would say she has probably not had many jobs, if any at all in her life!

you keep trying to justify that people can do something that they like , which creates no income and does nothing for the running of the country ... yet still be able to claim every benefit under the sun!

dude ... thats so freaking wrong ... not only that its bloody selfish !

these stories you post mean absolutely nothing without actualy knowing (A) the people involved and (B) how long they have actualy been signing on for ... not only that the jobcentre make it ABSOLUTELY CLEAR that this will happen if you do try and find work!

If they have such a big problem they should stop claiming JSA and ... shock horror GET A JOB !

@EvanB ... FYI, i have been unemployed and not been able to get a job quite a few times, ive lived on £30 a week at some stages, i had to move 300 + miles to try and get a job ... i understand everything their is to do about the crappy side of being unemployed ... this does not make it right to expect to to voulentary work and have the government pay your way or try and get you off JSA!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

Mate, that was fantastic... thanks for sharing.
And this is the point also... behind every single unemployed person... is a story like yours, is an individual with hopes and dreams and ambitions and who wants to give back and help people.

Not work for ****ing poundland increasing their profits.

Peace my friend

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I am a geology major here in the states, and I am sorry, if this girl can't find geology work, it's because she doesn't want to find it. While unemployment is high in the rest of the economy, Geologists are still in demand (and growing). In fact, each year, more & more MS level jobs are being awarded to BS graduates.

Why is that? Because of workforce age. The old guard of geoscience were baby boomers. Those folks are retiring and dying on a daily basis. A bell curve of the average age of a professional geologist shows the top of the bell sitting right around 60 years old now. As that bell pushes further out, job opportunity for the new generation just keeps growing, in spite of economy or fluctuations in the marketplaces.

Take a look at this:

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS), jobs in the geosciences are expected to grow by 22 percent between 2006 and 2016. This is a much faster increase in employment tha the average for all occupations. Geoscientists with Master's degrees are expected to have the most employment opportunites of all degreed geoscientists. Salary estimates released by BLS for 2008 indicated that the mean annual salary for geoscientists was $89,300.
Geoscientists in the petroleum and mining industries earned the highest salaries ($95,200 - $130,620) and those in state government earned the least ($59,830). Geoscientist faculty earned a mean annual salary of $74,770 in 2008.
Additionally, according to the National Association of Colleges and Employers, average starting salaries for college graduates with geoscience bachelor's degrees were $40,786 in 2007.

And before you say, "Oh she's in GB, not USA..." :

Geology is one of those fields where overseas work is extremely common. Finding a job across the pond or in the persian gulf is not hard to do at all.

She probably doesn't want to work for those evil Earth-hating petrol or mining companies. ;P
edit on 12-1-2012 by blamethegreys because: "Prabably" isn't a word.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:23 AM
link   
So Tesco thought the scheme was voluntary????

yeah right...

www.guardian.co.uk...

Solicitors from Public Interest Lawyers in Birmingham acting on behalf of two clients involved in the mandatory work activity programme have told the Guardian that they are seeking a judicial review of the scheme, arguing their clients were being forced to work against their will, amounting to a breach of their human rights under article 4 (2) of the HRA, which states: "No one shall be required to perform forced or compulsory labour."

Jim Duffy from PIL said: "Forcing jobseekers to work for free may benefit big business but does nothing to break the cycle of unemployment and poverty. Instead it amounts to exploitation, decided at the whim of a Jobcentre Plus adviser."

Tesco said 150 people had carried out placements at its stores in the past two months. However, it told the Guardian it was under the impression that work experience placements were totally voluntary

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
Some of the replies here are a little misleading I feel.

The girl in question was NEVER offered paid work in poundland, she was made to leave one voluntary position (working in a museum) to go and work FOR FREE at poundland for 2 weeks in the run up to Christmas
She was told that she would then get an interview for an actual paid position there which never happened.

So she wasn't taken from a voluntary position in order to be given paid work, she was taken from a voluntary position in a job that was actually somewhat relevant to her career goal to work for free in another job that wasn't

I'm not sure when exactly the government started supplying unpaid labour to private companies.
edit on 12-1-2012 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-1-2012 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

Now that is an entirely different situation. If she was already volunteering, at a job that would further her career or choosen field, then why would they want to move her to staff a dollar store? What did the dollar store do, grease the palms of the local politicians more than the museum.

If the above is true then I do hope she wins her case. I would feel differently if she was offered a paid position and she choose not to take because she felt it was below her. But I see absolutely no reason to move her so the dollar store has enough staff for xmas...that is ridiculous

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
I'm not sure when exactly the government started supplying unpaid labour to private companies.

A few years ago actually, as part of there new deal reforms to jobseekers basically they round up all the long term unemployed and send them to "training courses" (which incidently means that all these jobseeker now count as in full time education and thus enemployed) run buy private companies.

I went to a couple of these myself a year ago was the last time. They explain how to write up a CV and then put you into crowded room, which often don't even have enough seats to job search for 30 hours a week. Which would be bad enough but there is never enough pens/pencils newspapers and computers for more than maybe 10-15% of the people cramped into the room to actually job search at any one time.

Off the record several of the tutors I have spoken to from these courses admitted that being on them actually made it more difficult for most people to find a job!

They also send people out on work placements such as these, large comanies (such as tesco) use this as a source of free labour with no real intention of hiring no matter how good the person is.

Luckily last time I was there I managed to find permenant enployment. Honestly my job is beneath me but I would rather put up with that than sponge off a government that I despise

Even with what little money I now make it means that my life isn't a daily struggle to put food on the table.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:33 AM
link   

edit on 12-1-2012 by blueorder because: had a rethink

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join