It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Taliban denounce 'US Marines body desecration' video

page: 13
<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by jerico65
It doesn't bother me that these guys pissed on some enemy corpses. It bothers me that they were dumb enough to film it. Whomever it was that posted it, not to mentioned ID'd the unit, should get kicked in the junk repeatedly.

I can't help but say that is the worst part of this whole thing in my view as well. It's a shame it happened, but it's a fair point to ask who in their right mind lets a friend whip out a camera phone these days if anything remotely controversial is going on. This kind of crap is happening just often enough to where I'll go ape on someone (friend or not) who figures I can star in their home (internet) video if I didn't ask for it.

So yes indeed. A giant
to the idiot who took the video and thought it would be a good idea in the first place.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
An acquaintence of mine is a USSF Operations Sergeant. Here's his take on this whole thing:
=====================================================================================

Regarding this week’s video expose of United States Marines urinating on their deceased foes:

It was an unfortunate look under the rock that shields the public from the grit and blood of warfare. However, perhaps it was a needed reality-check for all of us.

We pay those young men to risk their lives daily and KILL the enemy.

In the heat of battle, with both emotions and testosterone riding high, we might rightly expect our warriors to show utter disdain for their defeated foes. It’s what young men tend to do when left to their own devices. They get in bar fights, they engage in ritual tribalism, they rut, and do countless things that their mothers and certain reporters would never approve of. They are warriors and their lives may be short. It’s an almost biological imperative, reminiscent of marking territory. We mean that quite literally. Cut them some slack.

Their crime was one of stupidity. Crossing a line of macabre performance art and being dumb enough to digitally film it. Naturally, that video has come back to haunt them. This is primarily because certain self-righteous journalists have attempted to give legs to a non-story.

When a sitting US Secretary of Defense feels compelled to comment publicly on the activities of some wayward Marines, you can be sure that a large ball of punishment is rapidly rolling down from Mt Olympus and will crush the mortal souls of a certain group of offending Hoplites. The USMC Chain of Command will exact multiple pounds of flesh from the posteriors of those Marines, not because their transgression was great, but because the embarrassment they caused transcends top-down loyalty.

The Commandant of the Marine Corp should have told the SECDEF that “I’ve got this one…” and issued a short statement to the following effect:

“Some of my beloved Marines, in a fit of youthful stupidity and hubris, vented their emotions on foes they killed in battle…dangerous opponents who had been recently trying to kill them. Those young men will receive appropriate punishment…and be sent back to work. Because we have a lot of work for them to do…and they will learn from their mistake. It won’t happen again.

While the actions of those Marines were tasteless, in reality their very professionalism allowed them to vanquish their foes without matching the viciousness and savagery of the enemy. For instance, they didn’t take heads, something the enemy likes to do.

Just to keep things in perspective, here’s the raw footage of deceased Journalist Daniel Pearl being beheaded by the enemy. Just as a reminder of who we are up against… (cut to Daniel Pearl video) God Bless the United States Marine Corps.”

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu
reply to post by kamatty

Damn straight! Instead of pissin' all over the corpse in desecration, they ought to have desecrated them by cutting their heads off and mounting them on a bridge post, like the REAL men in the Taliban do!

Isn't desecration desecration? Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me.

So you think that we should behead them & stick there heads on poles? if your all up for doing that why are you complaining that its happening to yours? Isn't desecration desecration? Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Badgered1

People say, "Oh, those poor guys. They'll never get a job now...."
Unless they are hired by a private security contractor, Halliburton, TSA etc.!
They'll be fine. They will work for scum like them. They seem to find each other.

I AM a private security contractor. Us scum just naturally rise to the top.

Who started it?

Al Qaida.

Did we attack a proven enemy, or did we attack countries likely to be harboring terrorists?

Proven enemies.

All you gray haired "Retired [insert military section here]" on the back window of your F150, did you do this sort of thing?

No, but that doesn't mean this sort of thing wasn't done. It's not a new invention, nor is it limited to US troops.

No. You didn't. Because you had integrity.

I don't know about integrity - remember, us scum rise to the top. I didn't do this sort of thing because someone has to pick these bodies up, and that's a nasty enough job already. Didn't give a rat's ass about the dead, but I felt for the living.

If OBL did order 9/11 he killed 3000 US citizens by making a decision;
how many civilians have died in other countries since Shrub 43 made a 'decision'?
Which one is the terrorist?
Whose decision killed the most civilians?
Or doesn't it matter because they were harboring terrorists?

The more relevant question is which one was TARGETING civilians. Which one intended to kill civilians, preferring to kill civilians over combatants.

We talk of how bad it was that the SS killed so many villagers because of 'partisan' activity.

There is a difference between civilians getting killed ancillary to combat operations, and civilians getting killed by lining them up in the central street of the village and mowing them down.

We talk about how the tide of WWII turned because the Germans started bombing civilians.

The allies bombed civilians in WWII as well. Ever heard of Dresden? That would be one example.

"How many videos have we seen of Americans being [decapitated, treated badly etc.]?"
Not that many, really. None would be better, but there aren't that many.

I've seen 23. That's too damned many, but it's expected, given the nature of the enemy.

How many videos are there of Abu Grahib and Gitmo? None.
Just because it's not on video doesn't mean it doesn't happen.
No clean hands around here.

Nope, no clean hands. That ratio tells me the relative prevalence of these sorts of things, though.

The US invaded Afghanistan because all the Al Quacky leaders were caught in Pakistan! Really?

No. The US invaded Afghanistan because AQ had training camps there, and the Taliban refused to turn their buddy bin Laden over. Pakistan had nothing to do with it. Bin Laden didn't move to his new digs in Pakistan until after Tora Bora got scrambled. You are correct, though - I'm not at all sure why we are still on speaking terms with the Paks, much less still throwing money at them, given the fact that they did harbor bin Laden for so long.

How many Al Quacky 'insurgents' were walking the streets of Iraq prior to the US invasion? None.

Source for that figure, please. I want to know who screwed up the head count. BTW, AQ are "terrorists", not insurgents. There is a difference.

edit on 2012/1/14 by nenothtu because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by kamatty

Originally posted by nenothtu
reply to post by kamatty

Damn straight! Instead of pissin' all over the corpse in desecration, they ought to have desecrated them by cutting their heads off and mounting them on a bridge post, like the REAL men in the Taliban do!

Isn't desecration desecration? Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me.

So you think that we should behead them & stick there heads on poles? if your all up for doing that why are you complaining that its happening to yours? Isn't desecration desecration? Sounds like the pot calling the kettle black to me.

What. precisely, does this expression mean to you:
? I know what it means when I see my kids doing it, but I may have misread - or, alternatively, your sarcasm circuit may be broken.

Maybe it's just a matter of perspective. Mine is that if I'm going to be burying my own, I'd rather sponge them off and plant them than have to hunt down the parts, and either bury them piecemeal or sew them back together for the occasion.

Desecration is desecration. The dead don't give a damn one way or the other. It's what the living have to invest in the disposal that determines severity.

My objections to such behavior are not at all based upon odd notions of "morality" or "honor". They are quite a bit simpler, and twofold:

1) The bugger is dead. He doesn't care what I do or don't do any more, and he's not trying to kill me or mine any more. There is no point to be made. It's a futile, useless, waste of effort.

2) That carcass was once someone's son, and possibly brother, father, husband, etc. Regardless of what differences I may have had with him, those differences ended when he stopped breathing. What's left reverts back to them. I'm finished with it.

I'm not particularly "moral", above such acts, or "better than", I just prefer not to waste time and effort beating already dead horses. I could tell you stories that would curl your hair, but I perceive that would not be a terribly difficult thing to do. No challenge.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:37 AM
link   
Oh..So beheading live Americans and other people is not as bad as taking a wiz on some empty vessels? I think not. I would rather be urinated on dead than have my head,hand or other body part hacked off alive.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   
if you step back and look at the whole picture its ALL wrong. which is my point.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:06 AM
link   
reply to post by kamatty

I don't concern myself with "right" and "wrong". that's all subjective. As far as I'm concerned, it's wrong for anyone to be placed in a position where it's necessary to go to war to begin with, but it happens, and civilians, both leadership and citizen, don't give a damn about THAT. If they did, they'd stop inciting war. They'd stop trying to take the other guy's "stuff", or trying to force their customs down his throat. They'd stop trying to tell everyone else how to live their lives, and instead take a closer look at their own. Whatever flows from that can't make it any "wronger". Wrong is wrong.

When people stop trying to impose their versions of "morality", when they stop trying to impose their own customs on other folks, when they stop looking at the other guy's pasture, thinking it's somehow greener and wanting to take it over, I'll be out of a job, and I'll be just as happy pushing a plow. Until then, people like me will be on guard duty, and we'll do what we have to to protect the interests of our own.

ETA: On second thought, you'll always need us scum. There will always be crazy people, there will always be monsters (no, they DON'T hide under the bed or in the closet, but the bastards walk the Earth all the same), there will always be a few people out there who are just plain junkyard dog mean, and who do evil stuff for no discernible reason. You will ALWAYS need guard dogs against them. With any luck, if people in general ever stop trying to impose themselves on everyone else, you just won't need so damned many of us.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 04:52 AM
link   
I don't concern myself with "right" and "wrong". that's all subjective. As far as I'm concerned, it's wrong for anyone....

your second sentance contradicts your first. And im going to bring your sanity into question now, you have watched 23 beheading videos? why would you do that? no wonder your heads so messed up with ill thought ideas.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 05:14 AM
link   

I don't concern myself with "right" and "wrong". that's all subjective. As far as I'm concerned, it's wrong for anyone....

your second sentance contradicts your first.

I said it's subjective, and it is. That's not contradictory, it's my subjective take on things. Evidently you believe in absolutes, and people who believe in absolutes are far more dangerous to the stability of the planet than comparative wimps such as myself. They are the very people who insist on keeping the pot stirred up until they get it their way - the only RIGHT way, of course, to be applied in an even, thick, smothering layer to the rest of us.

They are the very people who start and maintain wars, and look down their noses at those who fight the wars for them. Nice. Good thing you don't have to get any blood on your manicure, eh?

And im going to bring your sanity into question now, you have watched 23 beheading videos? why would you do that? no wonder your heads so messed up with ill thought ideas.

Interesting. That is your assessment of me, that I am insane and my "head is messed up", yet YOU are the one whining and going ballistic over A SINGLE VIDEO of carcasses getting pissed on. My word, if you could manage to find 23 videos of carcasses getting pissed upon, they'd have to reserve an entire wing of the nuthouse for you, right beside mine! Aren't you glad you can't find that many?

yeah, I've seen the videos. If you don't know your enemy, his habits and mannerisms, tactics and procedures, you are doomed to defeat as surely as you will be if you don't know yourself. If those were the worst thing I'd ever seen, I'd probably be relatively sane, eh? well, not as sane as you, of course, since I don't have any absolutes to apply across the board...

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 07:51 AM
link   

if you step back and look at the whole picture its ALL wrong. which is my point.

Yeah, but you never seen too many people on ATS getting all bunged up when it's US dead that are dragged thru the streets, etc. Too many posters here get a full-on chubby at dead US Marines or Soldiers.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Sharpenmycleats

Insulting people that protect others is offensive, insensitive and boorish.

I'm insulting these guys who showed themselves to be scum, and not all those who fight.
I made a point that many have fought but never stooped so low. War is hell, but there are still decent humans in uniform. To them I give my support.

The wars were based on monetary gain for a few, not the freedom of many.
You have more 'freedoms' today?

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Badgered1
reply to post by Sharpenmycleats

Insulting people that protect others is offensive, insensitive and boorish.

I'm insulting these guys who showed themselves to be scum, and not all those who fight.
I made a point that many have fought but never stooped so low. War is hell, but there are still decent humans in uniform. To them I give my support.

The wars were based on monetary gain for a few, not the freedom of many.
You have more 'freedoms' today?

Thank you for the clarification of your support.

These kids will be punished and I hope the punishment fits the deed and not enhanced to appease the knee jerk reaction of the minority.

I still hope you use all your energy to promote change in our government. To help instill a government that knows how to wield our military power. To know when to stand down and let other countries sort through their own problems. A government that only flexes our muscle when absolutely necessary to protect the USA or our allies. That instills a foreign policy that is more alligned with what the world expects from a superpower.

posted on Jan, 14 2012 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by apodictic
reply to post by knightrider078

... Most in this thread are a bunch of hippies...

i find it funny that hippy is still a term of opprobium in the armed forces...

even after 50 years

talk about fear and loathing L
L

they sure kicked your asses and showed you up back in the Vietnam days

it's thanks to them that we still have our freedoms and rights

bless them

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 06:00 AM
link   
So according to the logic of some members here, the japanese should give all of you a nice warm golden shower every time you visit Japan, since you bombed the heck out of them. Right?

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hellas
So according to the logic of some members here, the japanese should give all of you a nice warm golden shower every time you visit Japan, since you bombed the heck out of them. Right?

So according to your logic citizens of the US should give a nice warm golden shower to all the Japanese everytime they visit America since they bombed Pearl Harbor. Right?

I guess according to you since a few guys did something stupid it reflects on everyone. Just because some people understand it, I don't think anyone on this site has stated those responsible should not be held accountable.

The majority are just unwilling to try and paint all our service members as part of the club. If you want to trash the US Military come out with what you have to say. Don't hide behind this incident of a few US Service members as a tool to depict the entire US Military as a bunch of unethical idiots to further your agenda.

4 soldiers in the picture and at least one camera man = 5. Since 2001 conflict started over 1 million soldiers have served in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Source
www.democraticunderground.com...
edit on 15-1-2012 by Sharpenmycleats because: Spellng and add a source

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sharpenmycleats

4 soldiers in the picture and at least one camera man = 5. Since 2001 conflict started over 1 million soldiers have served in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Source
www.democraticunderground.com...
edit on 15-1-2012 by Sharpenmycleats because: Spellng and add a source

Oh really? So just those 5 guys did step out of the picture?

Abu Ghraib, torturing and raping, killing innocent people, blowing up animals and the list goes on and on..

Like Dana Loesch saying she would urinate, one the corpses too, because the "Taliban did 9/11"

as stupid as it gets

here's the vid

edit on 15-1-2012 by Hellas because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

Post numbers and you will find these incidents represent less that 1/10th of 1%. I gave you over a million. Don't use the US goverments policies as an excuse to trash service members. You are also allowing the liberal media to distort your view by using isolated incidents of foolish deeds of dogs and peeing and outright crimes of rapes and torture by military criminals to trash our military.

As I stated earlier on a post, use your energy to promote change in our government. Please remember our military is made up of society, and just like society, you will have a diverse mix of people. Serial killers, rapers, animal torturers and all other walks of life will find their way into the military just like in our society. Why do you think we have prisons, because there are bad people in the world.

Just because a guy or gal signs up for the military doesnt mean they are all perfect citizens. Some (the small minority) will commit a military crime and be punished for it. Most likely they will also be discharged. Just like in society there is no way the military will be able to arrest these criminals prior to the crime. So unfortunately we will have to read about it and be upset.

I also have a question for you.
What do you think the US Military should do about these types of incidents? Rant and rave about it for weeks, shoot everyone involved, shut down the military? What is it you and the rest of the outraged minorities think you will achieve by your rants?

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sharpenmycleats

I also have a question for you.
What do you think the US Military should do about these types of incidents? Rant and rave about it for weeks, shoot everyone involved, shut down the military? What is it you and the rest of the outraged minorities think you will achieve by your rants?

First of all I don't think that I represent a minority by finding this incident disgusting.

And this is not about shooting someone etc. It is about committing war crimes, because that's what the desecration of corpses is.

And since you're asking for Numbers, I don't think the comparison of civilian casualties to military casualties in wars fought by the USA, will push the US Military in a good light.

posted on Jan, 15 2012 @ 05:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Hellas

Maybe you missed my poll. If you have one post it. The poll I posted shows you in the 11% that don't "get it". War is hell.

You also dont like to read I take it. My source I provided shows over 1 million servicemen and women have served in these two conflicts, I did not talk about casualties. The relevency of this number is to show you how few are commiting these type of crimes when compared to how many are over there serving and not committing crimes!

I also see you don't like to answer questions. Please state what you want to see done to promote change in our military to prevent these types of incidents.

Don't just rant, you seem pretty intelligent help open the discussion to promote change.

new topics

top topics

<< 10  11  12    14  15  16 >>

join