It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is Sport a religion?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:44 AM
link   
I was reading the news and this guy named Tebow who is a famous football player or something, said that God doesn't care about whether or not he makes a touch down - which was interesting.

I did not know that the team would say a prayer to God in order for them to win against the order team. And likewise, the other team is praying to God against them. Also, the best player leads the prayer just like in Church the Priest leads the prayer.

The Sport-Game itself is like a religious war of two opponent teams battling against each other and the winner gets more recognition/reputation. Just like a religion when it kills another.

What do you think?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
Hahahahaha.... I don't think sport is a religion... But in every match I know there are spirits involved..... like every battle.... and I really think that it plays significant roles in determining the winner....

Great post

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:54 AM
link   
in some countries its one and the same
u seen when india isnt happy with their cricket players?
they burn effigies of them!!!!

thats the captain too

edit on 12-1-2012 by stopmakingsense because: vote ron hubbard

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:02 AM
link   
While westernised sports do not involve religion, besides the occasional prayer, the same cannot be said about Asian ones. Muay Thai for example, is a martal art and the national sport of Thailand. It contains heavy elements of Buddhism intertwined within it. In fact most of the sport's history, culture and legends extend from Buddhism. Therefore, some sports can be religious, while others not.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by daaskapital

judging by your avatar you'll possibly be acquainted with the so called 'Auld Firm' on some level. rangers and celtic in scottish football have a bitter rivalry mainly to do with religion....i've had friends beaten by mobs due to this and beliefs, its very similar and for me religion in anything starts fights.

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 12-1-2012 by MaximinusThrax because: spelling

if your not from scotland....sorry lol
edit on 12-1-2012 by MaximinusThrax because: stuff

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:22 AM
link   
Pray to God for good things to happen.
Thank God, and reinforce you're faith, when those things happen.
When they don't, either rationalize a reason God wouldn't do it, or completely ignore it ever happened.

Sports aren't a religion. However, confirmation bias is a major part of many religious peoples lives, including when they're playing sports. People find ways to intertwine their faith into everything they do.

People pray to pass tests, or wear crosses or other symbols to their places of schooling. School isn't a religion either. It's just more intertwining.

It's ridiculous to pray for football anyways:

edit on 12-1-2012 by xxsomexpersonxx because: fixed yvid

edit on 12-1-2012 by xxsomexpersonxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

I don't have sports or religion in my life, but I have heard of this Tebow character. I'm not too fond of anyone who wears their religion on their sleeve like a righteous cloak of superiority, but to answer your question.

Yes. I think religion AND politics take many of their cues from sports and sports teams. I've heard it called the sports team mentality. "My team (or religion or political party) is the best and we reject all other teams (or religions or political parties) as they are the enemy"! This sets up the perfect conditions for a fight to the death... Separation, division, hatred and fear.

People are basically nuts, I think. The popularity of this Tebow guy and his 'supporters' adoration are illustrative, IMO.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   
No. Sports and Religion are completely separate. Religion may be incorporated into sports, but the two are completely different.

Religion as defined by Websters:
1a : the state of a religious b (1) : the service and worship of God or the supernatural (2) : commitment or devotion to religious faith or observance
: a personal set or institutionalized system of religious attitudes, beliefs, and practices
archaic : scrupulous conformity : conscientiousness
: a cause, principle, or system of beliefs held to with ardor and faith

Sport as defined by Websters:
1a : to amuse oneself : frolic
b : to engage in a sport

In no way could Sports and Religion ever be considered synonymous.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

When I was in sports I never prayed for a touchdown, or for a home run et cetra, I prayed that we participants wouldn't be injured severely and that we could all do the best with the abilities He gave us to begin with. Now, I can't speak for everyone obviously, but to me praying for a win is a little silly, God IMHO wouldn't care about that sort of thing.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

sports is a form of sublimated warfare

the idea is to get people to blow off steam

so they don't have the energy to direct it towards the ruling classes

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
reply to post by arpgme

sports is a form of sublimated warfare

the idea is to get people to blow off steam

so they don't have the energy to direct it towards the ruling classes

And now it's the internet. Look at all the folks here on ATS "blowing off steam" here instead of writing letters to their Congressmen and women.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:00 PM
link   
reply to post by NOTurTypical

or more direct actions L
L

top topics

join