It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Warren Buffett To Republicans: I'll Match Every Dollar You Contribute To Pay Down The Debt

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
There's a challenge if I ever seen one...The deal is too match dollar for dollar, and donations made will help to pay down the National debt, for Senate Majority leader Mitch McConnell, he'll make it three-for-one.

Republicans in the Senate, it should be noted, have a combined net worth of approximately $387 million, according to Media Matters.

Source / Alternative source

In the latest issue of Time magazine, Warren Buffett makes an unusual proposal: he will voluntarily contribute additional taxes to help pay down the national debt, but only if Republicans in the Senate do the same.

Buffett has pledged to match all donations on a one-to-one basis, with one exception: for Senate Majority leader Mitch McConnell, he'll make it three-for-one.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
What's sad is even if they all put every penny they have toward the debt, with Warren matching dollar for dollar, that is only 774 million and would hardly even be a dent in the debt.

But hey, it would be a start.

What's sadder is I suspect no one will take him up on this offer at all.

What's saddest is I suspect that is why he is willing to say that.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:04 AM
link   
All right, Buffett clearly doesn't want to reduce the deficit with this challenge. If he did, he'd just send a billion or two to the government. He wants, obviously to go after Republicans, or he'd include the Democrats in the deal. If all of the Republicans gave up everything they owned, Buffett could cover it and still be a billionaire.

I guess I'm not very impressed. What does he think he's helping? Or, as the article seems to hint, is he just trying to take out some revenge for the Republicans' suggestion that if he didn't think he was paying enough tax, he could just send more in?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:07 AM
link   
Crap I thought from the title it was going to be just any old Republican. Was about to throw some cash at it though I'm not really a Republican. Empty gesture. Gimme said it well.

new topics

top topics

join