It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Nuclear Threat Initiative

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Original Source: Defence News Article

The Nuclear Threat Initiative, in a project led by former U.S. Sen. Sam Nunn and the Economist Intelligence Unit, aims to draw attention to steps that nations can take to ensure the safety of the world's most destructive weapons

Don't forget about the founding partner Mr. Ted Turner.
Nuclear Threat Initiative Website

Among 32 nations that possess at least one kilogram of weapons-usable nuclear materials, Australia was ranked as the most secure. It was followed by European nations led by Hungary, the Czech Republic and Switzerland.

Yet...

Australia does not have nuclear weapons and supports their abolition. But it has a security alliance with the United States and holds the world's largest reserves of uranium.

On the bottom of the list, North Korea was ranked as the least secure of its nuclear material, edging out Pakistan.

How do you suppose they measured the security level in North Korea?
As for Pakistan, well...

The father of Pakistan's atomic bomb, Abdul Qadeer Khan, admitted in 2004 that he ran a nuclear black market selling secrets to Iran, Libya and North Korea but later retracted his remarks.

The index, which gave rankings on a scale of 100, also listed Iran, Vietnam and India below the 50-point threshold.

Grouping Iran and Vietnam here is interesting as both countries are attempting similar nuclear programs. Vietnam and the US are partnering up, meanwhile Iran is bombarded with sanctions and a looming threat of war.

and finally...

Of acknowledged nuclear weapons states, Britain scored best at 10th among the 32 countries. The United States ranked 13th.

Considering the amount of money designated to the military you would think the US could rate higher than 13th.
I bet even more will be allocated to address this report, which was prepared for a conference in South Korea this March.

Anyways look at it how you want...Enjoy.
edit on 11-1-2012 by Surfeit because: (no reason given)

**I realize that I have quoted off-site content incorrectly. Next time.
edit on 11-1-2012 by Surfeit because: (no reason given)

edit on 12-1-2012 by Surfeit because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I honestly think this nuclear states thing is getting way too much attention. We all use uranium fuel. Iran could use it without making weapons. They're advanced and, just like us, need it. Complete war propaganda.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:34 PM
link   
wow. somehow i'm not surprised.

I made a related thread called Council of Foreign Relations; Time to Attack Iran which discusses Iran's "nuclear threat" to the surrounding region.

And everyone knows that when the CFR says something, the strings are pulled, the puppet starts to animate, and we start to see the CFR's philosophy implemented into USA policy.

Ron Paul also seems to be the only person pointing out that Iran is developing this energy for nuclear power, not nuclear weapons. lots and lots of countries now have nuclear power plants. the USA has something like 150 of them, at least.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:09 AM
link   
I bet this is why Vietnam is mentioned.

In August 2010 the US was trying to promote,via the Wall Street Journal its' nuclear contract negotiations with Hanoi.

The Obama administration is in advanced negotiations to share nuclear fuel and technology with Vietnam in a deal that would allow Hanoi to enrich its own uranium—terms that critics on Capitol Hill say would undercut the more stringent demands the U.S. has been making of its partners in the Middle East. The State Department-led negotiations could unsettle China, which shares hundreds of miles of border with Vietnam. It is the latest example of the U.S.'s renewed assertiveness in South and Southeast Asia, as Washington strengthens ties with nations that have grown increasingly wary of Beijing's growing regional might.

WSJ Article

But then in September of last year they lost the bid to Japan.

In Japan's most aggressive move to promote exports of nuclear technology since the Fukushima Daiichi accident in March, a Tokyo-based utility consortium signed a deal with Vietnam

WSJ Article

And guess who may be loaning Vietnam the billions needed and then receiving the contract to do the work.

Vietnam is negotiating with Russia to borrow $8 billion to build what will be the country's first nuclear-power plant, Ninh Thuan 1. (The proposed Japanese plant would be Ninh Thuan 2.) Russia's state nuclear-energy corporation, Rosatom, has been chosen to build the plant, with construction to begin in 2014 and be completed by 2020.

They are not too pleased with that one I'm sure.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:41 AM
link   
Early bump.

new topics

top topics

join