It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why call him god?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by faceoff85
reply to post by Akragon

God "inspired" the writings in the bible.... Everything written in the bible carries god's aproval. Offcourse none of this would ring true if you dont "believe". But if thats the case I wonder why you would participate in this discussion. For a non-believer this would all sound like a giant load of crap altogether wouldn't it? I am merely discussing the OP based on the book from wich the question originates..

Believe whatever you like my friend...

IF God inspired the bible, why are there so many errors within its pages?

Perhaps your God has issues... Mine has none...

I participate simply to offer direction

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by faceoff85

The God who speaks in the Bible demands exclusive worship on the grounds that he is the only one who has any real existence. Those others who are called gods, like Bel or Chemosh, are not really gods because they did not create the world, and have no power. That's the premise, for example, of the diatribes in the latter part of Isaiah.
The Biblical God is not presented as one among a host of more-or-less equals, but as the only genuine coin among a crowd of fakes.

edit on 12-1-2012 by DISRAELI because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

If your directions are wrong shouldn't there be someone who can correct your opinions? otherwise you'd simply be misleading and I dont believe that is your intent. What errors are you talking about?

2 Timothy 3:16

King James Version (KJV)

16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:47 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Thats true, but just as you say there are fakes in circulation. thats were the need for a name becomes evident.
the 2nd reason is that god in numerous scriptures compels us to spread specifically his name, not some title wich is the case in most bibletranslations.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by faceoff85
reply to post by Akragon

If your directions are wrong shouldn't there be someone who can correct your opinions? otherwise you'd simply be misleading and I dont believe that is your intent. What errors are you talking about?

2 Timothy 3:16

King James Version (KJV)

16All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:

If my directions were wrong i would not know him...

Do your own research my friend... Its not hard to find...

And if you haven't found any errors, you're simply not looking hard enough...

I knew that verse was comming eventually in this thread...

Good old paul

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:01 AM
link   

The use of the title at least emphasises the point that he is the only genuine claimant to the title.
Ther's no ambiguity if the title is being used by a Biblical believer, because it's evident enough that they would be referring to the Biblical God.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:11 AM
link   
The name god was created by humans
refering to the gods coming from the sky

the real God is real name is the Creator

he is NOT a god ..

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI

The use of the title at least emphasises the point that he is the only genuine claimant to the title.
Ther's no ambiguity if the title is being used by a Biblical believer, because it's evident enough that they would be referring to the Biblical God.

Granted that may be true but then the "believer is lacking" because you cant follow biblical directions WITHOUT using gods name...

Exodus 3:15-22

King James Version (KJV)

15And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, the LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.

Keep in mind that the title LORD in this scripture used to say YHWH wich makes the sctipure much more logical.

Malachi 3:16-18

King James Version (KJV)

16Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought upon his name.

Again the title LORD was used while the original transcript used the tetagrammaton YHWH. This text clearly notes that whoever think upon gods NAME! NOT his title would be written down in the book of remembrance...

Romans 10:13

King James Version (KJV)

13For whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.

Again we need to keep in mind that the tetagramaton was replaced word "the Lord". this scripture really says it all.... we NEED his name
edit on 12/1/2012 by faceoff85 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

I dare claim that there are NO dicrepanties in the bible.... Throw me a bone and i'll try to amuse you

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 05:39 AM
link   
the same reason we call a leprechaun a leprechaun, its all myth and folklore

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by DaveNorris

So is evolution, unless you can show me an instance of DNA mutation that worked out for the better...

quoting professor Xavier is considered cheating....

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   
reply to post by furzball

I'm with you on this, friend. His name was used over 6000 times in the tanakh with instructions for us to use, praise, and call out to it. I personally pray to Father Yahweh when speaking to him.

It's been quite awhile since I've done any serious reading on the site, but I'm a big fan of EliYah.com for some good hebraic roots research & info. EliYah's big on true names, interpretation of law in light of the new testament, and a range of other subjects. Take care.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

Actually the bible - old testament, anyway - gives his proper name thousands of times. In most translations, anytime you see "the LORD" spelled such with all capital letters, that's where his proper name appears and has been mistranslated based on old masoretic superstition regarding "the ineffable name", so they would insert the vowel markings for adonai ('lord') to avoid even thinking the true name and possibly profaning it - another extension of their "hedge around the law".

A silly superstition, since the whole book emphasizes the importance and power of the name. Take care

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:35 AM
link   
reply to post by charles1952

Hello again Charles. If you're at all interested, EliYah.com links to a decent study here addressing Josephus' writings and other research into why some strongly believe "Yahweh" to be the best pronunciation.

As far as elohim, I wouldn't really call it a name - more of a title (meaning "mighty ones"), also given to men at times, other deities/demons, and so forth. Not really much more of a name than adonai or any of the other references to Him.

Hope you're well.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Honestly for me, it's just because it's the English word that I feel most comfortable speaking and have been brought up to associate the English word God with the Being. He has many names but His nature is unchanging. YHWH, Yahweh, YHVH, Jehova, El Elyon, Elohim, Allah, Lord, Adonai, King, He, Him, "Her", "It". "It" just Is, it's written in every human heart.

Also when I pray I'll usually start it off by calling God several of His names "Dear God, My Lord, Christ Jesus Almighty, God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, Yahweh - Please bless and forgive me. Amen" That's just me though :p
edit on 1/12/2012 by Iason321 because: changed couple things

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
reply to post by furzball

Buddy you are totally right! In fact calling him 'God' is blasphemous according to Scripture. One of the commandments says "thou shall not take my name in vain" which means dont bring it to worthlessness, meaningless, or use it deragatory.

It would be like saying your original name was 'Jim' and you told everyone "dont call me Jimbo or anything else, I HATE THAT". And then everyone calls you Jimbo, dude, man etc.

Now the tetragrammaton which spells יחוח (right to left yod-hey-vav-hey) in modern hebrew which correctly translated is Yahuwah. Yahweh is just a improper translation using Hebrew grammar rules. With 2 roots you must have 3 syllables. So Yah -weh is wrong and also refers to Jupiter, or correctly Zeus.

So all those people calling on God, are really calling on Zeus or Jupiter. So quit blaspheming the Heavenly Father's Name people the OP is correct.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Seektruthalways1
So Yah -weh is wrong and also refers to Jupiter, or correctly Zeus.

So all those people calling on God, are really calling on Zeus or Jupiter. So quit blaspheming the Heavenly Father's Name people the OP is correct.

So lemme get this straight....Zeus is also YHWH? And anyone calling God, God, is actually speaking to Zeus or Jupiter? Gee guy, you got it all figured out!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by AQuestion

I hope yoyour not serious. Did you read the Scripture before you made your post? Do you not know our English bible is a translation from the origninal? Did you know that things were 'taken out' and replaced with to keep people deceived? The original Scriptures have His Name written, our English translators decided not to include it.

Exodus 3:13-16 KJV restored
3:13 And Moses said unto Elohim, Behold, when I come unto the children of Israel, and shall say unto them, The Elohim of your fathers hath sent me unto you; and they shall say to me, What is his name? what shall I say unto them?

3:14 And Elohim said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

3:15 And Elohim said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, יחוח Elohim of your fathers, the Elohim of Abraham, the Elohim of Isaac, and the Elohim of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name for ever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.

3:16 Go, and gather the elders of Israel together, and say unto them, יחוח Elohim of your fathers, the Elohim of Abraham, of Isaac, and of Jacob, appeared unto me, saying, I have surely visited you, and seen that which is done to you in Egypt:

Elohim is supposed to be Alahym in its Paleo Hebrew form but anyways, Moses was supposed to proclaim the Name of Yahuwah to all nations. So how can you say he doesnt have a name?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Yes it sure is a conspiracy. I have made a few posts concerning this about how the scribes deliberatly removed the Father's true Name and the Son's true Name from the translations. יחושוע = Yahuwshuwah

:Acts 4:10-18 KJV Restored

4:10 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of יחושוע the Messiah of Nazareth, whom ye crucified, whom raised from the dead, even by him doth this man stand here before you whole.

4:11 This is the stone which was set at nought of you builders, which is become the head of the corner.

4:12 Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

4:13 Now when they saw the boldness of Kepha and John, and perceived that they were unlearned and ignorant men, they marvelled; and they took knowledge of them, that they had been with .

4:14 And beholding the man which was healed standing with them, they could say nothing against it.

4:15 But when they had commanded them to go aside out of the council, they conferred among themselves,

4:16 Saying, What shall we do to these men? for that indeed a notable miracle hath been done by them is manifest to all them that dwell in Jerusalem; and we cannot deny it.

4:17 But that it spread no further among the people, let us straitly threaten them, that they speak henceforth to no man in this name.

4:18 And they called them, and commanded them not to speak at all nor teach in the name of יחושוע.

www.eliyah.com...

Looks like even the days of Peter/Kepha and John/Yahuhanan they were threatened to not speak the true Name of the Messiah. Looks like the Scribes and Pharisees got what they wanted.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 11:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Praetorius

Dear Pretorius,

It is a joy to see you in the threads. How else will I learn anything without expert guidance such as yours. (Meant seriously, no sarcasm. How I wish this could be face to face.)

I fully accept the pronounciation of Yahweh, partially because of the scholarship behind it and its wide acceptance, but also because I don't know enough to believe that it's vital.

Surely, he sees my heart and knows I am addressing Him. My own prayers are usually either to "God" or "Father" depending on lots of different things. I figure I can get away with "Father" because of Jesus' example.

I just had a thought, and obviously haven't researched it. Remember "...the gates of Hell shal not prevail against it?" My understanding is that "the gates of hell" was a way of saying "the power of Hell." Could the same analogy be applied to "the name of God?" Might it be a way of saying "the _______of God?" I'm not sure of the precise word I would put in the blank (maybe "presence?"), but I think it's worth a little more thought.

With respect,
Charles1952

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join