It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why call him god?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Alright, I don't know when or how it started. My best guess is Yahweh's name had to be translated for the KJB. But Why call Yahweh just God. It's like me going up to you and calling you "Man", "Woman", "Kid", "Adult", "Human", etc.

Why the strong use of the title and not his older name? Seems rather silly and stupid to me.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by furzball

I think thats just the way people are. It's no different than me calling my friends hommie, man, bro, etc. Just lazy I guess. For me, I'm uncomfortable with using peoples propor names, and thats why I'll call someone buddy instead of Jim (for example.)

I kind of agree with you tho. When someone says, "I pray to God" it begs the question, "which one?"

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Dear furzball,

If I may take a crack at your question. The bible doesn't actually say his name, he said he was "I Am". In another part of the bible it says that in the beginning was the word and the word was with God and the word was God. Ignoring the words used in the different languages, the meaning is the same. In the beginning came self awareness and there was nobody to give him a name, he merely was. I say this as a Christian and not attempting to prove he existed, merely explaining the answer to the question. Peace.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Maybe we could name him Frank or Jennifer.

Make him (her) more accessable.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Words mean whatever the speaker believes they mean.

The argument over this is a form of hate that has permeated Christianity and is practiced by people I highly doubt are genuine Christians.

The word God is completely different than the word god.

If it were so easy that all you had to do was use the right words or engage in rituals anyone could succeed.

This nonsense about using exact words is a trick used by fake Christian leaders as a means to separate their victims from general Christianity and to manipulate people; usually for money.

Christianity requires only two things and if you do those two things, you cannot sin. The second is the hardest.

Love God
Love your Neighbors

That is it and as we are so often reminded a child can understand it, but often adults cannot.

Like I said if you could just use certain words and perform rituals, it would be meaningless. Love is hard. Forgiveness, a part of love is harder. Labeling people because they use different words to say the same thing is crap.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
Even "Yahweh" is just an educated guess. The Hebrews would not write God's name, they just wrote YHWH, the tetragrammaton. Yahweh is a guess about what the name sounded like in Hebrew. Elohim is another name that was used.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:14 PM
link   
God is the English name given to a singular being in theistic and deistic religions (and other belief systems) who is either the sole deity in monotheism, or a single deity in polytheism. - Wikipedia

God is just the name for a diety. Dozens on religions use that term.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by furzball
Alright, I don't know when or how it started. My best guess is Yahweh's name had to be translated for the KJB. But Why call Yahweh just God. It's like me going up to you and calling you "Man", "Woman", "Kid", "Adult", "Human", etc.

Why the strong use of the title and not his older name? Seems rather silly and stupid to me.

Wow this thread is going to make the Israel/Jew haters go absolutely ballistic.

I love it!!!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by PollyPeptide

I think thats just the way people are. It's no different than me calling my friends hommie, man, bro, etc. Just lazy I guess. For me, I'm uncomfortable with using peoples propor names, and thats why I'll call someone buddy instead of Jim (for example.)

I kind of agree with you tho. When someone says, "I pray to God" it begs the question, "which one?"

And my opinion is, as much as people use the term "God" irreverently and blasphemously, I'm actually glad they do it to His title and not His Holy name instead.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by charles1952
Even "Yahweh" is just an educated guess. The Hebrews would not write God's name, they just wrote YHWH, the tetragrammaton. Yahweh is a guess about what the name sounded like in Hebrew. Elohim is another name that was used.

Anyone ever have this thought

Abram also known as Abraham
Hoshea also known as Joshua
Jacob also known as Israel
Paul also known as Saul
Sarai also known as Sarah
Saul also known as Paul
Simon also known as Peter

YHWH also know as Jesus

Just a thought

edit on 12-1-2012 by sacgamer25 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:01 AM
link   
Dont forget that the bible tells its believers to call on the name of god.... YHWH. The fact that the original pronouncation is lost to history itself could be seen as quite the conspiracy....

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Maybe because not everyone agrees that YHWH is God...

Why would one give their God any less of a title then God?

Theres no need to know his name... He knows you...

edit on 12-1-2012 by Akragon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

Does that mean you dont need to know him? The bible says that you should... In an friendship would such a concept not create an unbalanced relationship? youre friend introduces himself but he doesn't think it nesecary to either know or use your name?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by faceoff85
reply to post by Akragon

Does that mean you dont need to know him? The bible says that you should... In an friendship would such a concept not create an unbalanced relationship? youre friend introduces himself but he doesn't think it nesecary to either know or use your name?

One should know him more then a friend... more like a Father...

Trust me, God is NOT anyone's friend...

Though if one treats his creations as they should be treated... He can be...

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

God called himself Abraham's friend. and he also considered Job a friend. I dont think that argument rings true

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by faceoff85
reply to post by Akragon

God called himself Abraham's friend. and he also considered Job a friend. I dont think that argument rings true

God did eh...

that implies God wrote the bible...

Which doesn't "ring" true either..

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:28 AM
link   

The function of personal names is to distinguish between different individuals.
If there is only one God (which is the Biblical premise), then he doesn't need a name, and we don't need to use one.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Akragon

God "inspired" the writings in the bible.... Everything written in the bible carries god's aproval. Offcourse none of this would ring true if you dont "believe". But if thats the case I wonder why you would participate in this discussion. For a non-believer this would all sound like a giant load of crap altogether wouldn't it? I am merely discussing the OP based on the book from wich the question originates..

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:34 AM
link   
reply to post by DISRAELI

Also doesn't "ring true". The bible, and therefore god himself, acknowledges the existence of many different deity's. however the Abrahamic god demands exlusive worship. Hence the need for his name to be known and used

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI

The function of personal names is to distinguish between different individuals.
If there is only one God (which is the Biblical premise), then he doesn't need a name, and we don't need to use one.

Exactly...

Why find a name for him like YAHWAY / YHWH/ Jehova / Tetragramalamadingdong....

God is what God is...

And im sure he knows you're refering to him, no matter what you call him...

I just prefer not to give any less then the name... God

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join