It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomers see more planets than stars in galaxy

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:56 AM
link   
Ok this now REALLY baffles my mind. I am aware that in our solar system we have 8 planets and only one star...but i have never seen the overall picture that way respective considered this math. (Even as someone who is/was hobby astronomer).

The thought there might be 5x - 10x (?) more PLANETS than visible stars...blows my mind...simple.
edit on 12-1-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by PlanetaryDuality
How do people believe we are the only life out there..

My words exactly....

It is the epitome of human arrogance.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
It's good to see the program working out rather well. Still amazes me at how vast the universe really is.
Now if they could just locate that planet Nibiru

edit on 1/12/2012 by mugger because: sp.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Let's be conservative and say there are 5 planets per star. That means there are 500 sextillion planets

Last December, the number of stars in the universe tripled
blogs.discovermagazine.com...

It's pretty clear just from that number alone. Let's not be the Catholic church about this. We're not the centre of anything. Let's not put anyone under house arrest for heresy.

They (meaning aliens) have been here. Simple mathematical odds almost prove it. What we do with that information is up to us. What staggers me beyond belief is NASA's attitude towards UFOs. Even if we hadn't witnessed one single UFO, the maths IMHO says that space travelers have evolved, exist and have visited Earth. It would be ignorant to the differently.

I guess theres nothing anyone can do about it. If one does "believe" in space travelers from other planets (leaving alternate dimensions right out of the debate - that's another bother) then one understands that the buggers must be fast. Very fast. And therefore easily able to elude us - and for that matter, other "feuding folk" they have visited in the past / present.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by objectman
Let's be conservative and say there are 5 planets per star. That means there are 500 sextillion planets

I guess theres nothing anyone can do about it. If one does "believe" in space travelers from other planets (leaving alternate dimensions right out of the debate - that's another bother) then one understands that the buggers must be fast. Very fast. And therefore easily able to elude us - and for that matter, other "feuding folk" they have visited in the past / present.
It is pretty amazing really.
We could learn so much from them....ofcourse thats if we don't alienate them by shooting first.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie

My words exactly....

Imagine on a Alien planet, the Aliens are saying "humans are already here!"

SO saying "there are Sooo many planets so the chances are that aliens are here", this can backfire into, "there are so many Planets and they could only find earth to land?"

What are the chances!!! * Gasp* /shocked sarcasm*

It not arrogance, its logic.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

I think this is a perfect combination of ignorance and arrogance.

It is not really that surprising when you think about it though.

Some people find it much easier to believe strongly in things they can't see but reject things which, they admit, they can see.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:56 AM
link   
reply to post by luciddream

Yeah, so maybe it would not be such a novelty to visit earth knowing so many other planets exist.
I tend to think we are Special.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
Shock horror! Tell us something that we don't know Astronomers!

I could have saved them the time and money, just look up into the sky at night!

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by BohemianBrim
no i mean aliens, on planet earth.

Personally I doubt there are because as Carl Sagan used to say, ET life forms would probably be totally alien and bizarre to us and wouldn't resemble us in the least. They wouldn't be able to blend in. But, I can't help but wonder if ET life forms are in cognito. For example, what if dogs are really ETs? It's actually kind of funny to consider that they're really a lot smarter than they let on, but they like just hanging out with us so they act silly and goofy just to keep us entertained

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:10 AM
link   
It's probably time to redefine the term "planet" again. Vesta, Earth, Jupiter and brown dwarfs are all very different things, but as far as Kepler is concerned they would all be considered "planets."

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
i don't think anyone doubts there is intelligent life on other planets, i think they doubt that they have managed to cross trillions of millions miles to visit us in a reasonable amount of time.

but it is possible to travel between to points. we do it all the time. it's the technology and physics that eludes us.

current physics is only a tenth uncovered. what would be possible when humanity learns every single aspect and function of the universe is unimaginable.

considered e=mc2 gave us the atomic bomb.

we're like the natives who are buying trinkets and shiny beads from the white europeans and giving them priceless gold.

instead of buying micro chips to make iphones and useless tech, if the stories are true and elements of the government have made a deal with ebe's, they should purchase what they know about physics and the universe.

edit on 12-1-2012 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Because of the billions and billions of galaxies each with billions and billions of stars each with many planets we only know 1 that has life...........and God

Your statement should really read :

How can anyone believe we are the only life out there having only sampled 1 planet in 50000000000000000000000 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (assuming avg of 5 planets per star)

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:27 AM
link   
well, hello there- I must say you have riddled yourself a bit with a rounding thought process to try and equate all possible living beings intelligence as equal or lesser and from what I read of your thoughts, it sounds you also feel no onther being could have advanced technology. Our known travel speeds our only our known travel speeds, just that. We know of no other to compare and therefore we cannot.
I do think, on my own reading of information and watching different programs, that our civilization here, on this planet, at one time, very long ago, appears to have been more advanced than we were, and quite possible than what we are today, in many regards.
It is almost as if "we" did something to ourselves long ago that dumbed us down. There is no way I could state that other planets behind our planet are lesser in intelligence. I do not know anything for certain, but it does seem we were more advanced at one time.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:39 AM
link   
and by-the-by...it is quite possible that another life form was waiting for us to gain a certain amount of knowledge and insight before any "introductions". Many people are just now starting to contemplate the possibility of other life-forms and this contemplation has to be inbedded in some peoples minds by these types of reports. There are so many people(you may be one) that have to "see it, to believe it", and when we are dealing with these mindsets, many things can not be "seen" when one wishes to not know.
Same with the spirit world, or ghosts...have you ever experienced anything? Do you beleive without seeing or experienceing such things that there is a probability of such things, and do you have limites or degrees of your belief system. Many people cannot open their minds, and there always has to be a but added in for argument.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 12:44 AM
link   
wouldnt it be expected that every star has 1 or more planets?

im sure there are systems that dont have planets, but id imagine that they are pretty rare.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

My words exactly....

SO saying "there are Sooo many planets so the chances are that aliens are here", this can backfire into, "there are so many Planets and they could only find earth to land?"

Not clear on what you are even addressing here, but I stated that it is human arrogance to think they we are the only life forms in the Universe, and that our planet is the only one capable of harboring life.

posted on Jan, 13 2012 @ 08:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by 11I11
Shock horror! Tell us something that we don't know Astronomers!

I could have saved them the time and money, just look up into the sky at night!

You can resolve exoplanets with your eyes? Amazing......

And if you mean it was always going to be 'obvious', science is about supporting claims with verifiable FACTS. Which is why science has moved on and religion is left behind to control those who don't know any better.

posted on Jan, 21 2012 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by luciddream

My words exactly....

Not clear on what you are even addressing here, but I stated that it is human arrogance to think they we are the only life forms in the Universe, and that our planet is the only one capable of harboring life.

I agree...it's only a matter of time.Only question left to be answered is when will it happen??

posted on Jan, 22 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Flurry of space related news in recent weeks eh? Someone trying to tell us something?

Hey Mr Zorko of Kron IV i'm ready to meet you. The kettle is on!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join