It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texans~ No more Dublin Dr. Pepper ~ 1891 bottling with no HFCS is sued

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
online.wsj.com...

The world's oldest bottler of Dr Pepper will stop distributing the popular soft drink after settling a trademark dispute with Dr Pepper Snapple Group Inc., the owner of the brand.

Dublin Dr Pepper Bottling Co., which began selling Dr Pepper in Texas in 1891, has agreed to sell its distribution rights to Dr Pepper Snapple for an undisclosed sum under terms of the agreement, both companies said Wednesday.

Dr Pepper Snapple sued the tiny Dublin, Texas, bottler last June, accusing it of diluting the Dr Pepper brand by selling bottles with the label "Dublin Dr Pepper.'' It also accused Dublin Dr Pepper of selling the soft drink beyond its approved territory, a 44-mile radius around Dublin, a rural town with a population of 3,800.

Dublin Dr Pepper, with about $7 million in annual revenue, sells less than 1% of Dr Pepper's overall volume. Dr Pepper Snapple, based in Plano, Texas, the third-largest U.S. soft-drink company by sales, has more than $5 billion in annual revenue and controls a portfolio of brands that also includes Sunkist soda, Mott's apple juice and Snapple tea.

I'm so bummed about this. I'm upset Dr. Pepper/Snapple felt threatened enough to sue the oldest Dr. Pepper Bottler in the world. Dublin Dr. Pepper just tasted soooo much better. It had no high fructose corn syrup, and it was really refreshing tasting compared to regular Dr. Pepper.
I found out on Facebook and there is some effort to boycott regular Dr. Pepper / Snapple products over this.

Dublin, Texas is a very small town and the bottler and museum made it an historic tourist spot. They are allowing them to sell an altered product but without the Dublin name. If you are not from Texas, you probably wont understand, but its a big deal here.
edit on 11-1-2012 by toolstarr because: Can this be moved to off topic?...oops

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
reply to post by toolstarr

Sorry But Dr Pepper Was Invented In Waco Tx And I Like The Regular One Better

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:56 PM
link   
Yes, it was invented in Waco, but when all other soda manufacturers started using high fructose corn syrup in the 1980's, the Dublin bottler refused to add it to the formula. Smart man, imo.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   
I won't drink or eat anything with high fructose corn syrup in it.

Dr. Pepper / Snapple has their collective head up their collective backside. What about that silly, sexist commercial they are currently running for Dr. Pepper 10? "This ain't no lady's drink. It's a man's drink." Oh really? A bunch of men running around together, looking all buff, and telling women they're not wanted.

Looks like a gay fantasy scene, or maybe a Bohemian Grove picnic. Super duper, let's drink diet drinks with aspartame and be manly while we do it. The worst commercial on the air currently.

What would it have hurt that corporate giant to leave one little bottling plant alone, so at least the locals could enjoy what soda used to taste like, before HFCS and the mercury that goes with it replaced cane sugar? Could it be that they know that their HFCS soda tastes terrible in comparison?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:20 PM
link   
reply to post by FissionSurplus

Looks like a gay fantasy scene, or maybe a Bohemian Grove picnic.

What's the difference??!?

I was not aware that each bottling company actually produced the syrup that is put into the drinks? I thought it was delivered from some more centralized facility so that the recipe is constant, so individual bottling companies do not add or remove anything from it? More organic sodas (with real sugars, no corn syrup and no artificial flavors) really does taste better. It doesn't taste as acidic and sugary/syrupy.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:31 PM
link   
when they changed the formula for the original and the Dublin guys didnt want to change with them, they should have just changed the name to something else completely.

if its not the same ingredients its not the same product.

link   
damnit!!!!!!!!!!!

when is this happening???
i am on vacation 20th - 29th, and my only plan was to drive to dublin and load up the trunk (5 hour drive one way for me)

i honestly cannot tell much of a difference in taste, but i "feel" better when I drink sugar drinks opposed to hfcs...

i have more energy throughout the day, am more motivated, etc...

this is really depressing for me

the sad thing is, they do this TO SAVE MONEY, when I would gladly pay more for the real sugar... i mean i am willing to drive 10 hours to get a couple month supply (yes, i drink alot of soda, lol)... a price increase would be worth the real sugar IMHO...
edit on 1/11/2012 by baphomet420 because: (no reason given)

link   
This is SO sad!

I know they went beyond their borders, though. Last year a shipment of these came all the way to Muscat, Oman, on the Arabian peninsula. That's a bit beyond Dublin!

As a Texan, I think this qualifies as cause for a day of mourning...

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   
www.drpeppersnapplegroup.com...

I just let them know how I feel about the lawsuit at the link. My friend just told me they are laying off 17 of their 34 workers at the plant because of this.

I'm guessing people are buying it all up from all the places that sell it. It will probably be sold out most everywhere tomorrow. Probably be on Ebay for $20 a bottle. I'm going to miss the Dublin DP fountain drinks. 2 places in my town have them

And I agree with the day or mourning ...lol
edit on 11-1-2012 by toolstarr because: add mourning

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:56 PM
link   
reply to post by toolstarr

Hahaha they should come over to Ireland, im sure Dublin over here has many more people then that lol
. and who even likes dr peppers coke its taste like the worst taste you could taste lol
maybe i should bottle piss cool it down add a few flavors make it dark looking and call it dr darrens coke lol
I bet it would taste almost the same
Also isn't it mad how so many places have the same name
why didnt they call that New Dublin, our dublin was here first
hahaha...
edit on 11-1-2012 by mcdgray129 because: had to add about new dublin lol

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:10 AM
link   
reply to post by mcdgray129

No, no... why don't you come here?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by thehoneycomb

To your Dublin? lol our one has more people
hahaha unless u mean the usa hahaha
and our Dublin was still here first damnit
copycats haha

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:39 AM
link   
Reply to post by southwaco32

Really?

I prefer Dublin Dr.Pepper. I've ordered a few cases of it in the past. Best thing to come out of TX!

I hope they can still produce it (?) and they shouldn't have been sued in the first place!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I hate seeing the little guy lose. Bastards. I just went to visit the Dublin Dr. Pepper in October of last year. I am disgusted with this country.

What is left to do besides wish death on millions?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I just got an email from Dr. Pepper.

Thank you for contacting us about Dr Pepper Bottling Co. of Dublin, Texas. We wanted to let you know that we have settled our legal issues with the Dublin bottler over the Dr Pepper trademark and distribution rights. As part of the agreement, Dublin has sold us its sales and distribution operations, as well as the rights to distribute Dr Pepper and other DPS brands in its former territory.

Our former Dublin bottler is now doing business as Dublin Bottling Works Inc. They’re continuing to produce other soft drinks at their bottling facility, as well as operating their museum and Old Doc’s Soda Shop, offering tours and selling soft drinks, food and officially licensed Dr Pepper merchandise.

We want to assure you that you can still find Dr Pepper with cane sugar in Dublin and surrounding areas and at leading retail outlets in Dallas/Fort Worth, Houston and Waco and other areas where our bottlers make it available. It’s the same product Dublin sold. It will still be bottled and canned in distinct, nostalgic packaging. The only difference is it will not reference Dublin on the label.

Dr Pepper is still a big part of Dublin. We will enthusiastically support the popular “Dr Pepper, Texas,” celebration as well as the related “10-2-4k” run held each June in Dublin. And if you’re in the area, we hope you’ll stop by the museum and Old Doc’s Soda Shop.

Thanks again for contacting us – and for being a fan of Dr Pepper.

Sincerely,

Consumer Relations

so..... They say the same product will be available in select locations. The only difference is that it will not say Dublin... and I probably wont be able to buy it in my town now.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   
This evening on the local news they had a story about Dublin Dr. Pepper's last day. The employees were in tears as the last of that yummy cane sugar concoction rolled off the line. I have had it before and it's just sublime, so much better in taste than the regular junk.

The news story said that this plant was free to manufacture and bottle "other" soft drinks, just not Dr. Pepper. However, that plant has been there since the 1890s, and people come from all over to see the plant and the museum. The locals said that, without that iconic bottling plant, Dublin is just another town with nothing special about it, and the jobs lost today may be the first of many as other businesses suffer from the lack of tourism.

As far as I'm concerned, I don't drink soda, but I will make a special effort to encourage people I know who do drink soda to boycott Dr. Pepper. If they don't want to give people something good to buy, and want to force the HFCS garbage on the population, I say they can stuff it where the sun don't shine and re-name it Dr. Pooper.

new topics

top topics

join