It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

11 Days In, 2012 Already A "Record Breaking Year" For UFO Sightings.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:50 PM
link   
That's according to MUFON, which is reporting that people in 36 of the 50 United States reported seeing UFO's in the first week of 2012 alone.

Last January: 500 reported sightings.

This January: 233 in the first week of January alone.

Expectations are that the number of reported sightings will double this year.

But Americans weren't the only ones in on the sighting action. Sightings in the first seven days of 2012 were also reported in Brazil, Mexico, Japan and Belarus. They may all end up being something as simple as runaway Chinese lanterns, but since everyone and their grandmother has a camera phone these days, and with the mystical aura of 2012 upon us, Clift predicts the increase in sightings will continue all year.

source: blastr.com...

edit on 11-1-2012 by MRuss because: (no reason given)

edit on 11-1-2012 by MRuss because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:53 PM
link   
2011? Have I traveled back in time?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:54 PM
link   
You might want to edit your subject line. You mean 2012, right?

Very interesting. I posted something over the summer about 2011 being a record year for sightings and by what you posted 2012 will top that.

Any thoughts on why?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Thier training the sheeps minds into believing, because disclosure is coming!!!

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by angrywhitechick

Thank you!

second line

link   

Originally posted by hoonsince89
Thier training the sheeps minds into believing, because disclosure is coming!!!

I'll Baaaa baaaa to that

link   
This could very well be true, but through the years I have heard the same thing over and over, this is the year of most sightings...

Maybe fact, maybe not, nevertheless interesting.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:06 PM
link   

I think the biggest reason is awareness. For the first time in my life, I truly see people waking up. Personal friends and family members--- whom I'd never thought would discuss such things are suddenly eager to discuss UFO's---even the NWO and other topics. I think awareness is spreading in an unprecedented fashion, and it's obvious to even the common observer.

But with awareness lies of the danger of over exposure. If everyone is looking up, there are bound to be more "sightings." People here know what Chinese lanterns look like, but there are suddenly a whole lot of awakeneing people who will need to learn how to be discerning.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
Maybe it's global warming (warmer winter --> more people outdoors).

Or increased sales of Chinese lanterns plus the recent meteor shower plus the recent easy visibility of Venus and Jupiter plus the recent popularity of RC quadracopters/hexacopters.

edit on 11-1-2012 by xpoq47 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by MRuss

They may all end up being something as simple as runaway Chinese lanterns, but since everyone and their grandmother has a camera phone these days, and with the mystical aura of 2012 upon us, Clift predicts the increase in sightings will continue all year.
Yeah, because in January 2011, hardly anybody had a camera phone, right?

That sounds like nonsense to me. But he could be right about more people looking up in 2012, a lot of people believe something will happen.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Sightings have been going up for a while now but there is still no decent film of a UFO. They are all still just blurry dots of light in the distance or blatant hoax's.

So i would guess that everyone see's thing in the sky from time to time they cant identify its just that more people are reporting them in the hopes that they saw a flying saucer etc. I really dont think it means there is an increase in alien visitations.

Sighting have gone up but the quality of reports has gone down.

In the past (before the Internet) if someone saw a speck of light in the sky they couldn't immediate identify they might just tell a few friends and then forget about it. Only the really strange, impressive and important UFO sightings made it to the news papers , the news and into UFO history.

edit on 12-1-2012 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 12:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpoq47
Maybe it's global warming (warmer winter --> more people outdoors).

Or increased sales of Chinese lanterns plus the recent meteor shower plus the recent easy visibility of Venus and Jupiter plus the recent popularity of RC quadracopters/hexacopters.

edit on 11-1-2012 by xpoq47 because: (no reason given)

Venus has already been the subject of a few thread here on ATS, people asking "what is that bright star"?

That's because Venus has just again become visible in the evenings in December after a several month absence, during which time it was too near to the Sun in our sky to be seen.

I'm not saying that Venus accounts for the doubling of sightings in the first week of the year, but I wouldn't be surprised if Venus has not been the subject of MUFON reports. I mean, it is strikingly bright and very noticeable at the moment in the SSW sky in the early part of the night. and people have misidentified Venus before as a UFO.

Also, it is not statistically valid to extrapolate out a whole year based on an 11-day trend. I don't think it could be said that UFO sightings are necessarily expected to double for 2012 just because sightings in the first 11 days were doubled.

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MRuss

I think the biggest reason is awareness. For the first time in my life, I truly see people waking up. Personal friends and family members--- whom I'd never thought would discuss such things are suddenly eager to discuss UFO's---even the NWO and other topics. I think awareness is spreading in an unprecedented fashion, and it's obvious to even the common observer.

But with awareness lies of the danger of over exposure. If everyone is looking up, there are bound to be more "sightings." People here know what Chinese lanterns look like, but there are suddenly a whole lot of awakeneing people who will need to learn how to be discerning.

That is very possible. I have seen something similar on a small scale with people I know. Also a good point about the need to be discerning.

I also sometimes wonder about social media. Are some of us just more comfortable reporting these things now that places like facebook and twitter have trained us to share more of our lives and experiences with a larger audience?

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
It's simple, 2012 is here: doomsday, the apocalypse, alien invasion and everything else associated with the year 2012.

UFO's and aliens are all the rage per shows like Ancient Aliens. There are more shows on now about UFO's/aliens than I can ever remember. How do I remember?! Because I have always been into this topic and it was never discussed as much as it has been in the last year. I have been amazed, first with AA and then with other sites and even news outlets talking about UFOs, aliens and life outside our solar system. It was always taboo, now it's "cool." Too bad it's always been cool to me

So no I don't think there are more sightings I just think people think every light they see is a UFO. Yes I do think people look more but most are explained and even when they are people are still in denial.......like the one in Russia everyone freaked out over when it was just the failed Russian launch.

Also the beginning of 2012=New Year's festivities, many things can take the form of a UFO or what looks like one, IE Chinese Lanterns which are popular during new year's all over.

For the record UFO to me doesn't mean alien, UFO means "unidentified flying object."

I have seen UFO's, things that were not like anything i Have ever seen move in the sky before. Still not sure wth I saw but it was a UFO by definition.

I think the sightings have always been there, they are just now not considered taboo.

edit on 1/12/2012 by mblahnikluver because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 12 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

Another thing about Venus as it relates to January 2012 UFO sightings is that it can be seen at 5 P.M. (before dark and during rush hour). So that means a lot of people see it, and most don't know what to make of a point of light in the sky seen in daylight.

join