It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Legislators Continue to Prove California is the Worst State in the Union

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
As California is where I currently reside, I pay attention to the stupidity of the state. Just a few days ago, I walked into my local market to purchase a few items. They have a self-checkout system which I often utilize. Well, when I came up to it, I noticed a peculiar sign hanging on the machine that I hadn't normally seen before. It said, in large font and bold text: "AS OF JANUARY 1, 2012, A CHANGE IN STATE LAW PROHIBITS THE PURCHASING OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES AT SELF-CHECKOUT STATIONS." Now, in all honesty, I realize this isn't a big deal. If I have to go to the regular lanes, so be it. The point is that this is totally unnecessary and even bizarre. What does this aim to accomplish, besides yet again limiting people's ability to make decisions for themselves? And what does this say about our legislators? That, instead of working on fixing the state, they're fooling around and passing stupid laws like this?

Tell me, ATS, are there any laws in your state that are comparably stupid?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:19 PM
link   
reply to post by ForeverDusk

Or they are trying to make it harder for underage people to illegally purchase alcohol?
I would think it could also have something to do with putting liability on the store to require a manual check of ID.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by MJZoo

There are people in the store watching over the self-checkout lanes to ensure no one is doing anything illegal, like stealing. Also, before this was passed, you had to have alcohol purchases confirmed by a store employee at a self-checkout lane. So it was unnecessary.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   
As dumb as it sounds its probably meant to keep kids from getting alcohol when under age u know how easy it is for me to use those self check out lines and get beer? And im barely 20 lol but your right wat a waste of time

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Washington state, to be the first to have voted on a ban for use of plastic bags provided for groceries, etc., in stores. They are considering it for a state wide ban not just limited to cities on the West coast of the state.
With the bill you will be charged 5 cents per paper bag.
One Source

Austin, TX is slating similar with a fee on bags(plastic or paper) if people choose to use them.

Pros...cons, still looking into it but. Pro anti plastic bag people say the ban will save the environment for the future and more. Opposing claim a concern for the hassle of shoppers, who forget bags at home, cannot afford or bring numerous bags on a larger purchase(someone we buy more than we planned!), etc.
edit on 11-1-2012 by dreamingawake because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Just a gentle reminder that they want to control everything you do at all times. It wouldn't do to have anyone acting independently at any time in any fashion--just wouldn't do....

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Honestly, what good could have possibly come from self check out aisles? In what reality were the business execs living in when they decided they would be a good idea in any capacity?

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:01 PM
link   
reply to post by de Thor

To be honest, I don't really know. I only like them because they give me a sense of independence and allow me to avoid stupid cashiers.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:03 PM
link   

When Jerry " The Clown" Brown got Reelected you should of known Stuff like that and Worse was comming to a Neighnorhood near you . California is a Perfect Example of the Failure of Liberalism to Work on a Govermental Level without Selfdestructing Itself .

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by ForeverDusk
reply to post by de Thor

To be honest, I don't really know. I only like them because they give me a sense of independence and allow me to avoid stupid cashiers.

Can't disagree with that.

But I believe this legislation was the next natural step with self check out aisles. While I do believe the government often passes useless legislation that restricts our freedoms at every turn, I think we're really grasping at straws on this one.

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
reply to post by de Thor

The only good is paying one employee when they should be paying 4. Only good for the company

posted on Jan, 11 2012 @ 10:02 PM
link   
I think this is pretty straight forward. I think it's so one cannot purchase alcohol with their dad's debit card if they're under age. As a New Yorker, I'm surprised you were ever allowed to purchase alcohol using the self out line.

Now that I think about it; that store must have been loaded (haha) with underage ppl running beer through that lane. There was no such wonderful thing when I was young. We needed fake IDs or the lowly ask a cool looking dude to buy it for ya.

edit on 11-1-2012 by spinalremain because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join